Above left: Colonel George McClintock, half-brother to Captain William McClintock Bunbury, RN, of Lisnavagh.
Above right: Kate McClintock, nee Stronge, wife of George and sister of Pauline McClintock Bunbury of Lisnavagh.
The McClintocks of Rathvinden descend from Lieutenant Colonel George Augustus Jocelyn McClintock, the youngest son of John McClintock of Drumcar by his second wife, Lady Elizabeth McClintock, daughter of the 1st Earl of Clancarty. George was born on 22nd May 1822 and, by the 1840s, seems to have been following closely in the footsteps of his half-brother Captain William McClintock Bunbury, RN, of Lisnavagh, Co. Carlow, who was then living with his in-law's the Stronge family at Tynan in Co. Armagh.
(Any inferiority George might have felt as a younger brother may have been overridden by the fact that, unlike William, his grandfather and uncle were both senior peers of the realm!)
Captain McClintock Bunbury's wife Pauline was one of the elder daughters of Sir James Matthew Stronge (1786-1864), 2nd bt., of Tynan Abbey. In April 1850, George married Pauline's younger sister, Kate Stronge (aka Catherine Caroline Brownlow Stronge), with whom he had a son, Arthur, and four daughters, Constance (who married Henry Crossley Irwin), Amy, Isabella and Mary (who married Thomas Lonsdale).
George served with the 52nd Light Infantry and was a Lt Col of the Sligo Rifles (stationed at Ballyshannon?). It is estimated that about 75 per cent of the 43rd and 52nd regiments were of Irish origin prior to 1848, including the senior officers. He lived at Fellows Hall, Killylea, Co. Armagh, which is situated on the main road between Tynan and Middletown. The property had previously belonged to the Knox and Maxwell families. Built in about 1762, Fellow's Hall came into the Stronge family in the mid-19th century (with about 2,200 acres at Killylea) when Sir James Matthew Stronge, Kate’s father, inherited through his mother, Helen Tew. Fuller details may be found here at and tie in with the Armstrong family. Sir James leased it first to Thomas Knox Armstrong (1797-1840) and later to his son-in-law George McClintock. In 1885 the property passed from Sir James Matthew Stronge, 3rd bt, to his brother, Sir John Calvert Stronge, 4th bt (1813-99). Sir John’s son, Sir James Henry Stronge, 5th bt. (1849-1928), sold it to the Misses McClintock, daughters of George and Kate. After the death of Miss Isa McClintock MFH in 1954 it was sold to James Robert Bargrave Armstrong (1893-1980) from whom it passed to his son, the late Henry Napier Armstrong (1936-2014), father (I believe?) of Bruce and Antonia.
[Sir James Stronge in 1847 mentioned on page 74 of ‘Loughgall' book at Bishopscourt; Lonsdale on page 85.]
Colonel George McClintock died on Christmas Eve 1873. His widow Kate survived him by forty years until her death aged 88 at Fellows Hall on 26th November 1914, three weeks after The Times reported the death in action of her grandson, James Raymond McClintock Lonsdale.
The lineage of George and Catherine's son, Arthur, and his sisters Constance Irwin, Isa McClintock and Mary Lonsdale, is explored below.
Colonel and Catherine McClintock's eldest daughter Constance Harriet Catherine McClintock was married i Killylea, County Armagh on 16th July 1881 to Harry (Henry) Crossley Irwin, JP, sometime BSC, of Mount Irwin, Tynan, Co. Armagh.
The Irwin family had been in Armagh since 1680 when William John Irwin (d. 1718) obtained a grant of the lands of Carnagh. His grandson William Irwin (d. 1737) lived at Mount Irwin and married Sarah Manson whose father James Manson lived at Fairview (now called Tynan Abbey).
Harry Crossely Irwin was born on 25th July 1848, making him a contemporary of his wife's cousin, the 2nd Baron Rathdonnell, and educated at Queen's College, Oxford (BA). He was the eldest son and heir of William and Sarah's great-grandson Henry Irwin (1816-1883) by his 1846 marriage to Harriet Josephine Jacob (d. 6 Feb 1877), daughter of George Laurence Jacob, HEICS, whose family owned considerable lands in County Wexford. He is believed to have spent some time in India before he succeeded to Mount Irwin and, circa 1890, Constance completely altered the house from its original plantation structure.
Harry's only brother George Robert Irwin, CSI (1901), OBE (1920), was born 2nd April 1855, educated at Uppingham and Christ Church Oxford and joined the Indian Civil Service in 1878. He was appointed 1st Assistant and Secretary for Berar to the Resident at Hyderabad in 1892, Political Agent at Jhalawar in 1893, Resident of Jaipur in 1897 and General Supp of Thuggy & Dacoity Dept from 1900 until 1903 when he retired from the Indian Civil Service. He served in 1st World War (1914-17) as a captain in the Royal Irish Fusiliers and died unmarried on 4th Mach 1933.
Harry died on 16th Feb 1925; Constance survived him by a year and a day, passing away on 17 Feb 1926. They left three sons and three daughters.
Their eldest son, Captain George Valentine Crossley Irwin, Royal
Inniskilling Fusiliers, JP, High Sheriff of Armagh (1938) was born on 25
Feb 1883, educated Haileybury, married (1 July 1930) Sophia Hepburn,
widow of Capt. Harold Thompson, DSO, Royal Scots Fusiliers, sixth
daughter of James Hepburn of Bird-in-Hand Court, Sussex. Their daughter Constance Irwin was born on 5th Feb 1932, married Richard Dashwood
Farley (of The Manor House, Harbury, Warwickshire) in 1954 and had a
son, James Stephen Irwin Farley on 30th October 1954.
Henry and Constance's second son Henry Mark Irwin (b. 1885) was a sometime Lieutenant with the West African Frontier Force and later with the Nigerian Political Service. On 16th August 192 he married Mary Roberts, eldest daughter of Robert Duncan, MP.
Henry & Constance's third son, Felix Miles Patrick Irwin (1893-1950) left Queen's College Oxford and joined the Grenadier Guards. In
April 1942, he married Julia St Mary Shandon Quarry (d. 1 Jan 1952),
widow of Col. James Iremonger, DSO, RM, and dau of Col. John Quarry of Fareham, Hants. Felix dsp in 1950.
None of Henry and Constance's daughters - Harriet Josephine Elizabeth, Georgie Catherine Joyce or Alison Constance Frances - were married. Alison died on 21st April 1951. Her sisters were still living at Mount Irwin with their brother when Burke's LGI went to print - one thinks of Molly Keane.
According to Burke's Landed Gentry of Ireland (1912), George Augustus Jocelyn McClintock and his wife Catherine (nee Stronge) had a second daughter named as Amy Isabella and a third daughter who is named simply as Isabella. It seems likely that either the elder ‘Isabella’ died and the second was named for her, or that they are one and the same person. In any event, Isa McClintock, as she became known, was renowned for the first half of the 20th century as Ireland’s stand-out lady ‘Master of Hounds’, hunting the Tynan and Armagh Harriers, being described by [who?!] as 'a tall striking woman who always rode side-saddle and was a fearless, skilful horsewoman of outstanding respect.' On Tuesday October 1st 1895 a meeting of the Tynan Harriers had agreed to amalgamate with Armagh to form the Armagh & Tynan Hunt under the mastership of W. P. Cross. In May 1899 Isa succeeded Mr Cross, employing a professional huntsman and taking command of a pack of 18 hounds, which pack she led for the next fifty three years. (Lancashire Evening Post, Saturday 10 November 1900). “An appointment of this nature indicates very clearly that hunting has always been ahead of the times in relation to equality. Gender, class, creed and race are not taken into consideration in assessing who is best to lead the hunt.," remarked one hunting enthusiast. (Who!!?) As the London Evening News reported on December 26, 1899: "The latest accession to the ranks of the lady masters of hounds, according to a contemporary, is Miss Isa McClintock, who holds a unique position in the annals of sport, as being at the head of a subscription pack. No other woman has had the honour of being unanimously chosen by a hunt committee to hold the reins of office and rule over the destinies of their hunt. But Miss Isa McClintock, who has hunted all her life with the Tynan Harriers, and is one of the hardest riders the country has ever known, has such a knowledge of and love for sport that it was universally felt she would fill the position of Master to perfection. In the words of an enthusiastic supporter of Miss McClintock, who has himself had much to do with the building up of the pack now known as the Tynan and Armagh, the Lady Master “ rode into the position she now occupies, for no man rides harder than she does.” Her picture appeared in The Country Gentleman, Sporting Gazette, Agricultural Journal & The Man About Town, 13 January 1900. And she appeared again, on Dan, in The Sketch, 27 November 1901. She remained master until her death in September 1952, in her eighty-eighth year. She rode to the Boxing Day meet of her Hounds in 1951.
Kevin Quinn, author of 'The Great 1936 Umgola Betting Coup’ recalls: "My great grandmother Mary McConnell was the cook in Fellows Hall in the early decades of the last century. During her time there my great granny became very friendly with one of the ladies of the house a Miss Isa McClintock. After my great grand mother’s retirement, Isa McClintock would come and visit her in Umgola. My father could vividly recall her visits as Miss McClintock would pull up in her car outside my great granny’s house in Best’s Row. Within minutes of her arrival the local children would be crawling all over the vehicle as the novelty factor was too much for them to resist. My great granny and Miss McClintock would then retire to the kitchen for a chin wag over a drop of tea.'
Colonel and Catherine McClintock's fourth daughter Mary Alice McClintock was married on 22nd July 1891 to Thomas Lonsdale, a well known racehorse owner, of Temple Grafton Court, Warwickshire, and Hawthornden House, Hooton, Cheshire. All that remains today of the latter, a Victorian villa, are the gate posts; a new property occupies the site.
Brian Mercer Walker, Professor Emeritus of Irish Studies at Queen's University, Belfast, is descended from Robert Orr, a nephew of Thomas Lonsdale. On 7 June 2016, he wrote an article entitled "Complexity of this island's history in one family's tale" for the Belfast Telegraph, in which he noted:
'The Orrs and Lonsdales were tenant farmers in the Loughgall area. In the 1860s, however, the Lonsdales decided that, rather than producing and selling butter locally, they would buy other farmers' butter and sell it to the English market. They established their first butter depot in Armagh city and then set up similar depots in many parts of Ireland. In the 1880s, they moved the centre of their operations to Manchester and imported agricultural produce from Ireland and countries of the Empire. The business was very successful. In 1901, the parliamentary seat for Mid Armagh fell vacant and 50-year-old Lonsdale returned from Manchester to be elected as MP. In 1903, he became secretary of the Irish unionists at Westminster and helped to revitalise unionism, leading to the establishment of the Ulster Unionist Council in 1905. In 1911 he was tipped as a possible leader of the party, but in the end he was the person delegated to ask Sir Edward Carson to take the position. In 1917, when Carson joined the British war Cabinet, Lonsdale became leader of the party for a year. In 1918 he vacated his seat and entered the House of Lords as Lord Armaghdale. He died in 1923, leaving the very large sum of £300,000, none of which came to our family, unfortunately.' [Further details of Lord Armaghdale follow below]
Thomas was born on 5th December 1854, the youngest child and second son of the greyhound and horse trainer, James Lonsdale (1826-1913), Deputy Lieutenant, of The Pavillion, Armagh, which is now the site of Armagh College of Further Education. The Lonsdale family, for whom Lonsdale Street is named, had long been prominent on the public life of Armagh. James Lonsdale's father, Thomas Lonsdale, lived at Loughgall, Co. Armagh. On 7 January 1846, James Lonsdale married Jane, daughter of William Brownlee, who gave him two sons, John Brownlee Lonsdale, Lord Armaghdale (see below) and the aforementioned Thomas Lonsdale, and two daughters, Mary and Jane. Mrs. Jane Lonsdale died in April 1855, when Thomas was not yet five months old, suggesting some complications of childbirth. James was married secondly in 1856 to Harriet, daughter of John Rolston. James Lonsdale was a well known sportsman, being sometime owner of a large kennel of greyhounds, and gained many successes, notably with Light Cavalry, the winner of the Raughlin Cup in 1868. (Master McGrath, the previous years winner, famously won the Waterloo Cup in 1868, 1869 and 1871). For many years Thomas also held a nomination in the Waterloo Cup, and, although he never won this prize, on several occasions his dogs ran prominently. From 1870 he identified himself more particularly with the Irish Turf and over the next forty years bred and ran his horses at all the principal meetings in the country. He did not confine his attention entirely to racing in the flat. In 1901, his Coragh Hill won the Lancashire Steeplechase of 2000 sovereigns as Manchester, after running fifth in the Grand National the week before. In flat racing perhaps his most prominent victory was with Aviator, who won the Irish Derby in 1910 at the Curragh. He was present to see his horse run at the last Baldoyle Meeting before his death aged 89 on April 26th 1913.
Thomas and Mary had two sons, James Raymond McClintock Lonsdale and Thomas Leopold McClintock Lonsdale, and two daughters, Esme Georgina Lonsdale (b. 25 Apr 1895) and Vera Isabella Lonsdale (b. 9 May 1897), of whom more below. Thomas Lonsdale was a well known race horse owner. After his death in 1931, his widow Mary continued the family tradition of horse racing. Among her string was Blue Star who was foaled in 1932. It is uncertain if Mrs Lonsdale bred the horse or bought it at a later stage. On Wednesday 10 June 1936 Blue Star won the Berks Selling Handicap at Newbury, at odds of 100/6, by a length and a half in a field of 20.At the subsequent auction he was bought in for 730 guineas, a substantial sum at the time. He went on to win another three races but at much shorter odds. The race inspired Kevin Quinn to write 'The Great 1936 Umgola Betting Coup.'
Above: John Bunbury Lonsdale and his wife and chauffeur in their car at the
Pavilion, Armagh, in 1904. The car is a 1902 Napier. Mr Lonsdale was MP for
Mid-Armagh from 1899 and was created a baronet in 1911. In 1918, he was
elevated to the peerage taking the title of Lord Armaghdale. The Pavilion
was built by Captain W.W. Alegeo about 1820 and was occupied by the
Sacred Heart nuns while their convent was being built. It was demolished
after the Second World War.
As a curious aside, it should be noted that the Lonsdale's cousin Eliza Brownlee married James Scott. (Her mother was an Ogle). Their daughter Maggie Scott married James Moore and had seven sons. One of these sons was George Moore, sometime General Manager of Shillington's Hardware in Armagh and grandfather to my fair wife, Ally Bunbury (nee Moore).
The eldest son, Lieutenant James Raymond McClintock Lonsdale, 4th King's Hussars, was born on 16 Mar 1894. He went to the front in 1914 and died in the Base Hospital at Boulogne, aged 20, from wounds received in action on October 29th 1914. His parents were living in Cheshire at the time. He was buried alongside a small sister, who died aged three, at Willaston, near Neston just north of Cheshire and about 25 mile northwest of Bunbury.
Above: The grave of Lieutenant James Raymond McClintock
Lonsdale in Willaston, Cheshire. (Thanks to Gerry McDermott).
The younger son, Thomas Leopold McClintock Lonsdale was born 8 Aug 1899 and shared three of his names with my great-grandfather, Thomas Leopold McClintock Bunbury, 3rd Baron Rathdonnell. He briefly served with the Grenadier Guards. On Monday February 15th 1926, he was married at St. Margaret's, Westminster, to Miss Victoria Mary Blanche Somerset, only daughter of Captain. The Hon. Arthur and Mrs. Louisa Eliza (daughter of John Grant Hodgson, she d. 1940) Somerset of 8 Stratford Place. Arthur was an uncle of Lord Raglan. Victoria's godmother later became Queen Mary.
Victoria's only sibling, Mr. Norman Arthur Henry Somerset was a lieutenant in the Grenadier Guards but, aged 21, became one of 28 officers killed on 23rd October 1914, the same week James Lonsdale died.
The Bishop of Willesden officiated, assisted by the Rev. P. Waddington. It seems to have been a rather lovely wedding. 'The bride, who was given away by her father, wore a gown of white georgette embroidered with silver, with a flounce of Limerick lace on the skirt. Her train was of old Limerick lace and a veil of the same lace was held in place by a triple-wreath of orange blossom. Miss. Somerset carried a small bouquet of orange blossom and wore a diamond cross, the gift of her godfather, Viscount Halifax. There were nine bridesmaids - Miss. Dorothy Lonsdale (cousin of the groom), Lady Elizabeth Harris, Lady Lettice Lygon, the Hon. Ivy Somerset, and Miss Priscilla Weigall (all cousins of the bride), Miss Nancy Mitford, the Hon. Gwendolen Meysey-Thompson, Miss Rosemary Goschen and Miss Mary Milnes-Gaskell. They wore dresses of blue crepes -de-Chine, and gold lace veils held by wreaths of forget-me-nots. In place of bouquets they carried gold staves with bunches of yellow azaleas and forget-me-nots at the top'. The best man was Captain B. A. Wilson and the reception afterwards was held at 8 Stratford Place. Among the guests were the bridegroom's parents, Thomas and Mary Lonsdale whose address by then was Temple Grafton Court, Alcester, Warwickshire. There is no mention of any Rathdonnells or Bunburys present although a Miss McClintock was in the congregation. The couple honeymooned in Italy. Mrs. McClintock Lonsdale left wearing a mushroom pink crepe-de-Chine frock with a coat and hat to match. (2)
Thomas Lonsdale's elder brother John Brownlee Lonsdale, 1st Baron Armaghdale, was born in March 1850 (or 1849, according to his Memorial, making him a contemporary of the 2nd Baron Rathdonnell). On 15th September 1887, JB Lonsdale married Florence Rumney, daughter of William Rumney of Stubbins House, Ramsbottom, Lancashire. In 1893, JB Lonsdale and Mr. Dunbar Barton, M.D.,made the debut presentation of Co. Armagh's oldest trophy, the Lonsdale Cup. From such beginnings emerged County Armagh Golf Club, which by 1931 had 103 gentlemen members and 91 ladies. He was High Sheriff of Armagh in 1895. In the Belfast and Ulster Towns Directory for 1910, John B Lonsdale, Esq, MP, was Captain of the Golf Club and President of the Armagh RFC. In Armagh Cathedral at that time, the Primate of All Ireland was another McClintock descendent, the Most Rev. William Alexander, D.D., The Palace, while the Dean was the Rev. F. G. L. McClintock, M.A.
A keen adherent to Ulster Unionism, JB was elected as Unionist member for Mid Armagh in 1900 and retained the seat continuously until his elevation to the peerage in 1918. By 1905 the struggle over Irish Home Rule had troubled and distorted British politics for two decades. Failed Gladstonian attempts in 1886 and 1893 to provide Ireland with a semi-autonomous government gave rise to new levels of divisiveness as well as to a new political alliance - unionism. This alliance incorporated the diverse elements of opposition (Conservative, Liberal Unionist, and Irish Unionist) to an independent, Dublin-based, Catholic-dominated Irish parliament.
resistance to Home Rule, a great political boon for English Conservatives,
was centred upon a delegation of twenty-odd Ulster unionist MPs, headed
by Colonel Edward Saunderson, a wealthy County Cavan landlord. After
the turn of the century, dissatisfaction with Saunderson's rhetorically
imposing but organizationally antiquated leadership grew apace. Many Ulstermen,
particularly representatives of the commercial and professional elite centred
in Belfast, believed that Ulster's parliamentary leadership had become out
of touch with the party's rank and file. Urban-based members of parliament
like William Moore and Charles Craig wanted their party to
adopt a more modern, more democratic, and more independent approach to ensuring
Ulster's future. (3)
This was the stage upon which Lord Armaghdale played his life, as honorary
secretary and Whip of the Irish Unioist Party from 1901 to 1916,
when he succeeded Lord Carson as the party's chairman. Meanwhile,
he was created a baronet in 1911. A barony, to which there was no
heir, was conferred on him on 17th January 1918. From 1920 until his death
four years later, he was Lord Lieutenant of Co. Armagh. He was a
strong opponent of Home Rule and was a director of the Lancashire and
Yorkshire Bank. He was a director of the North of England Debenture
Company, Chairman of Levenstein Ltd and was Vice-Chairman of
the Manchester Ship Canal Warehousing Company.
He was taken ill at the end of April 1924 and underwent a serious operation. He died at his London residence, 13, Princes-gardens, SW, on Sunday June 8th 1924. The Times reported his death next day and his funeral took place in All Saints Church at the Ennismore Gardens on Wednesday at 11a.m. He was interned at Puteny Vale Cemetery. (4) He died without issue and his will was probated in July 1924, at a gross of £309,191, net £303,152. On his death, his barony became extinct. His widow, Lady Armaghdale, survived him until her death at 13, Princes-gardens on 2 February 1937. She was buried in Putney Vale alongside Lord Armaghdale two days later.
JB and Thomas Lonsdale had two sisters, Mary Lonsdale (born 1851) and Jane Lonsdale (born 1853). That their mother Jane Lonsdale died in April 1855, when Thomas was not yet a year old, suggests she passed away in childbirth.
Above: Arthur McClintock of Rathvinden as photographed for the
Carlow & Island Hunt album at Newtownbarry House.
Colonel George McClintock's only son Arthur George Florence McClintock was born on 16th April 1856 and educated at Wellington. On 3rd July 1877, he married his first wife, Susan Heywood-Collins, third daughter of Joshua Heywood-Collins, JP, of Kelvindale, Lanarkshire, and Lagarie, Dumbarton (see Burke's Landed Gentry, 1952 ed). They had five sons - Col. Arthur George McClintock, John Heywood Jocelyn, Edward Stanley McClintock, Ronald St. Clair McClintock and a daughter, Gladys McClintock. He served was a lieutenant with the 26th Cameronians.
Arthur was a JP for Counties Wicklow, Kildare, Down and King's County, as well as Deputy Lieutenant for Co. Carlow. He also appears to have been closely involved with the Marquess of Downshire's estate which was based around Blessington, County Wicklow, and Hillsborough, County Down.
'On all sides general regret has been voiced at the severance of Mr Arthur McClintock's connection wit the Downshire Estate, and all are of one accord in bearing testimoney to his gentlemanly conduct and the fairness with which he treated the tenants during his long period of office. A report of a meeting held for the purpose of presenting him with a testimonial will be found in another column'. Kildare Observer, May 9th 1903, p. 5.
On Friday October 9th 1903, The Times reported the official announcement 'that the Lord Lieutenant has been pleased to appoint Mr Arthur McClintock to be public trustee under section 52 of the new Irish Land Act'. (5) By 1908, the McClintocks had moved to Rathvinden, Leighlinbridge, Co. Carlow. Rathvinden means 'fort of the faeries' and the large old twelve bedroom home was surrounded by wide lawns and ancient trees, including one of the oldest cedar trees in Ireland. [5.a] The house was built in 1810, and extended in 1840 with the addition of two handsome asymmetrical bows front and back.
Susan McClintock died on 19th February
On 8th January 1929, George married secondly Ethel (Fanny) Macalpine-Downie, sixth daughter of John Blakiston-Houston, VL, JP, of Orangefield and Roddens, Co. Down. (See that family). She was also the widow of Colonel James Robert Macalpine-Downie, of Appin, Argyllshire (see Burke's LG, 1952), who had raised a regiment in the Great War and perished at the front. Andrew MacMurrough-Kavanagh of Borris House is Colonel and Ethel Macalpine-Downie's grandson. (6)
Arthur McClintock died on 16th November 1930, a year after his cousin, the 2nd Baron Rathdonnell. (7) His widow was living at Strathappin, Appin, Argyllshire, when Burke's LGI went to print in 1958.
Arthur and Susan McClintock's eldest son, Lt-Col (Arthur) George McClintock was born on 30th April 1878 and educated at Farnborough College. He joined the 4th Battalion of Oxfordshire Light Infantry in 1896, transferred to the 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers in 1899 as a Second Lieutenant, serving with them in the Anglo-Boer War. He was present in operations in Natal, March to June, 1900, Transvaal July to November including the action at Belfast 26th. and 27th. August. He served as Adjutant of the Imperial Yeomanry (12th. Btn.) from September 1901 to April 1902, and was promoted to Captain in 1907.
On Tuesday 3rd November 1908, he
married Millicent Toomey, only daughter of (James) Alexander Toomey of 12 Herbert Crescent. (8) The wedding took place at St. Paul's in Knightsbridge
with the Bishop of Kensington assisted by the Rev H. Hughes of St. Pau's.
'The centre aisle was lined by a number of non-commissioned officers
and troopers of the 5th Lancers, who afterwards formed up in the porch and
made an archway with their crossed swords, beneath which the bride an bridegroom
passed to their carriage. The bride was given away by her father, and was
attended by six bridesmaids - Miss Gladys McClintock, Miss Daphne
Hardwick, Miss Olive Carey, Miss Annita Hinds, Miss Margot Mills and Miss
Rampini, dressed alike in white satin charmeuse trimmed with lace and silver,
and large white felt hats adorned with silver roses and silk leaves. The
bride wore a dress of white satin in Directoire style, embroidered in a
design of roses, lilies, and shamrocks in floss silk, and a long ort train
embroidered to correspond with the dress. Mr R. McClintock, brother
of the bridegroom, was best man. After the reception at the Hans-crescent
Hotel, Captain and Mrs. McClintock left for Paris'. (9)
George served with the 5th Lancers in World War One (mentioned in despatches).
He was with the Egyptian Expeditionary Force from April 1915 to May 1916, before moving to the Western Front. In July 1916 he promoted and became commander of the 9th Service Battalion of the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. He was
promoted to Major in the 5th Lancers and awarded the DSO in 1917, receiving his award directly from the King
at Windsor Castle on August 29th. (10) He became Temporary Lieutenant Colonel of the 9th Tank Battalion after the war.
George and Millicent seem to have divorced by this stage.
On June 15th 1920, The Times announced that a marriage had been arranged
between 'Major George McClintock, 5th Lancers & Tank Corps, DSO'
and Kathleen Knox, only child of the late Robert Macpherson
of Ferndene, Toorak, Melbourne. The wedding took place in Paris on June
19th 1920 when the city was presumably still buzzing with the Treaty that
ended World War One.
Colonel Bob McClintock records an anecdote told by the elderly family cook
when George's mother died in 1927 that hints at his matrimonial difficulties.
'It was a grand funeral', she said, 'and all Master George's wives
George transferred to the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars in 1921.
George retired with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in 1922. In June 1928,
he was appointed to organise a Scottish historical pageant, in aid
of the building fund of the Incorporated Glasgow Dental Hospital. The pageant
began on Saturday June 23rd in the grounds of Garscube House in Glasgow
and ran for a week. The Prince of Wales was among those who attended. Many
of the characters were impersonated by the modern representatives of their
Upon the death of his father in November 1930, George succeeded to Rathvinden
House, Co. Carlow.
On November 25th 1933, George's name again made The Times, this time on account of the arrest of a well-known thug Frederick Gordon, of Offley Road, Brixton, charged with theft of a leather bag containing nearly £1000 belonging to Friary, Holroyd & Co., brewers. Gordon was a suspected accomplice of Philip Jaeger, a thief shot dead in a 'justifiable homicide' by Rupert Wagner, the brewer's traveller, in Twickenham, two weeks earlier. Among the additional charges brought against Gordon was the theft from Portland Place of 'a motor car and an umbrella, the property of Colonel George McClintock of Half Moon Street, W'. (13)
He died on 3rd October 1936 and was buried in the Fitzwilliam family plot in South Yorkshire. His widow Millicent settled at 88 Eaton Terrace and was married secondly on 25th May 1940 to Lt. Col. (John) Cyril (Giffard Alers) Hankey, CBE, MVO, of 125 Mount Street, W1, who died on 1st November 1945. (14) Millicent was living at 247 Knightsbridge, SW1, when Burke's LGI went to print in 1958.
As Joe Gleeson observed in an email to me in November 2015, 'few of the McClintock brothers' files have been declassified, as they continued to serve into the 1930s (and beyond), e.g. sparse in the WO 339 and WO 374 returns. However, A.G. McClintock's backstory with the 5th Lancers could be an interesting one: if he was such a valued officer I'm sure they could've held onto him? Christies' auctioned his medals a few years ago. Perhaps their catalogue might have contained a photo of the man himself?'
Colonel George and Millicent McClintock had one daughter, (Elizabeth) Dawn
McClintock. Dawn was married firstly on Tuesday 21st April 1936 to Matthew
Alexander Henry Bell. The marriage took place at Chelsea Old Church.
Matthew was the only son of the late Lt Col Matthew Bell (see Burke's
LG 1952) of Bourne Park, Canterbury, and of the Hon. Mrs. Matthew Bell,
of Bredon House, Bredon, Tewkesbury. George and Millicent's address at the
time was given as 88 Eaton Terrace. The Rev. R.E. Sadlier presided and the
bride was given away by Air Marshal Sir John Salmond. She wore a
gown of peach-tinted satin, made with a crossover bodice cut to form a V
at the back, and with a long dropped sash. The train was cut in one with
the skirt, and her veil was held in place by a wreath of peach-coloured
osprey feathers. She wore a diamond chain and cross and carried a bouquet
of pink camellias. There was one little bridesmaid - Sally Ann Vivian,
and a page, Timothy Koch de Gooryend. Mr. Gerald Waller, 14th/20th
Hussars was best man. A reception was held afterwards at 7 Tite Street Chelsea
by Colonel and Mrs. Sydney Hankey, after which the bride and bridegroom
left to spend their honeymoon motoring in Germany. (15)
The marriage did not last. The Bells were divorced in 1948 and Dawn married secondly on 24th January 1949 (as his third wife) Lt. Col. Sydney Ernest Lodington Baddeley, youngest son of Col. Paul Frederick Michael Baddeley, RA (see Burke's LG 1952). (16) Sydney ad Elizabeth were living at Frederialle del Monte, Fornalutx, Majorca in Burke's LGI 1958.
Arthur and Susan McClintock's second son John Heywood Jocelyn McClintock was born on 21st October 1880 and educated at Uppingham and served in the 18th Hussars. On 6th December 1904, he married Mary Catherine Torkington, only daughter of Colonel Henry and Annie Torkington of Willey Place, Farnham, Surrey. They had two sons, Jocelyn McClintock, and Neill McClintock, and a daughter, Sheelagh McClintock. They lived for an as yet unspecified period of time at Mahonstown House, Kells, County Meath; the major was secretary of the Meath Hunt from March 1911 (when he took over from G. Murphy) until February 1914. He was succeeded as Secretary by Captain Audrey Pratt of Cabra Castle. (Meath Chronicle, 28 February 1914, p. 5). (They were at Mahonstown at the time of the 1911 census). On 10 January 1914, the Meath Chronicle reported that “a very large number of spent fish” had been found in Mahonstown Lake by Fishery Inspector White on 2nd January. ‘With Mr McClintock’s permission he had the gates raised to let the fish through.” I assume John served in the war but have not had a chance to delve into this yet ... On 13 December 1919, the Anglo-Celt announced: ‘The departure of Major and Mrs McClintock from Kilbeg district is regretted’. One wonders were they part of the exodus that followed the outbreak of hostilities between the forces of the British Empire and Irish Republicans.
Mary died on 22nd March 1957. By 1958,
he was living at Willey Place, Farnham, and Burke's LG had him designated
as head of the family. Colonel Bob McClintock recalled him as 'a very
nice fellow, he farmed in Natal for a time and afterwards became
Secretary to the Meath Hounds'.
John and Mary's eldest son, (John William) Jocelyn McClintock, was
born on 5th December 1905 and, like his father, educated at Uppingham. On
28th November 1936, he was married at St Andrews, Yetminster, to Mary
(Gwadys Vaughan Ashe) Holmes à Court, eldest daughter of Captain
Reginald Ashe Holmes à Court (1879 - 1973) of The Manor House, Yetminster,
Sherborne, Dorset (see Burke's Peerage, Heytesbury B). His brother
Neill was best man and sister Sheelagh was one of the four bridesmaids.
They settled at Hodges Farm, Lower Froyle, Hampshire, and had three sons
- William Ashe McClintock (17) (born 6th October 1942, educ. Sherborne),
John Neill McClintock (18) (b. 15 Feb 1948) and Dr. Peter Miles McClintock
(19) (b. 14 Oct 1950). Jocelyn McClintock passed away in 1984 and his widow
Mary in 1986.
John and Mary's second son, F/Lt (Arthur) Neill McClintock was born
on 4th Feb 1913 and educated at Stowe. He joined the RAF. He was present
alongside his parents and siblings at the funeral of his grandmother Annie
Torkington at Wrecclesham Church on April 21st 1941. (20) He was killed
in action on 11th April 1942.
John and Mary's daughter (Catherine Anne) Sheelagh McClintock was born on 12th November 1911. On 27th February 1954, she married Lt Col William Percy Browne, MC, DL, JP, of Higher Houghton, Blandford, Dorest, eldest son of Col. Percival John Browne, CB (Burke's LG 1952 - Browne of Buckland Filleigh).
Arthur and Susan McClintock's third son Robert was born on 19th August 1882. He married firstly Monica Farrell by whom he had two daughters, Rachel and Pauline. He married secondly a Miss. Macmanaway, with whom he had a third daughter.
The scant information about him in Burke's suggests that he became somewhat estranged from the family. A search through The Times yielded little results either save for reference on 8th February 1902 to 'Lieut. R Le Poer McClintock' transferring from the 4th Oxfordshire Light Infantry to be Second Lieutenant in the Gordon Highlanders. (21) However, a search for 'Pauline McClintock' came good with the report of the marriage on February 26th 1943 at West Honiton, Devonshire, of Pauline McClintock, Sgt, WAAF, of Langroyd, Sunningdale, to Sgt Pilot EA Tennant of Ashford, Middlesex. Squadron Leader the Rev W Trapp officiated. (22) Their first daughter was born at Woking Matenity Home on February 1st 1944. A second daughter was born on Sunday July 29th 1945 to 'Pauline, wife of F./Lt. E. A. Tennant and daughter of Monica McClintock, Meece House, Swynerton, near Stone, Staffs'. (23) Also of note was a daughter born on August 1st 1945 at Newtownstewart, Northern Ireland, to 'Monica (nee McClintock), wife of Capt. Ian Strang, RA'. (24) However, this is likely to be a different branch. (25)
Arthur and Susan McClintock's fourth son Edward Stanley McClintock
was born on 7th October 1889. He was married firstly on 14th November 1914
to Geraldine, youngest daughter of Edward Henry Pares, JP,
of Hopwell Hall, Derbyshire (see Burke's LG 1952). He then went to the front,
serving for the duration of the Great War and retiring with the rank of
Lt. Col. of the RA. He and Geraldine had two sons, Captain Nigel Stanley
McClintock and Captain Alan McClintock. They divorced in 1923 when Edward
married secondly, July 1923, Vera, daughter of Edward Coles Webb
of London, with whom he had a daughter, Susan Edwards Jones. Meanwhile
Geraldine was married secondly to Algy Crowe of Derradda Lodge, Ballinafad,
Edward and Vera divorced in 1932. On 30th July 1933, Edward took his third
wife, Joaquinita, daughter of Joaquin de Bayo of Spain.
Edward Stanley McClintock died peacefully aged 85 at Rush Court, Wallingford,
on 24th June 1975.
Edward and Geraldine's eldest son Captain Nigel Stanley McClintock was
born on 31st December 1915 and educated at St. Columba's College, Rathfarnham.
He worked with Messrs. T.D. Findlay & Sons and was a Captain
in the Burma Frontier Force. He was killed in action, aged 26, in
Burma on 8th May 1942.
Edward and Geraldine's second son, the late Captain Alan McClintock was born on 25th August 1920 and educated at St. Columba's. He joined the Royal Ulster Rifles in 1940 and served with them through the war until 1946. On 23rd October 1946, he married Aileen, second daughter of Dr Peter Dominick Daly of Renville, Oranmore, Co. Galway. They had a son, Johnny (John Nigel Cowe McClintock, born 6 Dec 1956) and three daughters (Caroline Ann, b. 19 Feb 1949; Sarah Geraldine, b. 4 March 1952; Nicola Mary, b. 23 June 1955). After the Second World War, they came to live at Ballybit House outside Rathvilly, Co. Carlow, and were close friends of Alan's cousin, William McClintock Bunbury, 4th Baron Rathdonnell, at Lisnavagh. My father remembers Alan coming to Lisnavagh for his baths! By 1958, they were living at Prospect near Nenagh, Co. Tipperary. Johnny McClintock presently lives at nearby Glenbower.
Above: Ronald St Clair McClintock's casualty card, as digitized by RAF Museum at Hendon.
The obverse side refers to him not wearing a safety belt. (Thanks to Joe Gleeson).
Arthur and Susan McClintock's fifth son Ronald was born on 13th July 1892.
Upon the outbreak of the Great War, he declared his previous service as a Rifleman in the Ceylon Planters' Rifle Corps for Sept-Nov 1914. However, the War Office didn't regard this as being relevant when making their attempt to calculate the eligible service, i.e. upon his transfer from army to RAF on a permanent basis for pensionable remuneration etc.
On 20th December 1916, he married Molly Laird, daughter of John MacGregor Laird of Bears House, Camberley,a nd formerly of Birkenhead. (25A) He joined the Royal Flying Corps, serving throughout World War One and rising to the rank of Squadron Leader. Most publications refer to him as having served in the West Lancashire Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery prior to transferring to the Royal Flying Corps. However, his medal card suggests that he served with the Ceylon Planters' Corps as a Private prior to obtaining his commission with the RFA. (Thanks to Joe Gleeson).
Flight Lieutenant Ronald McClintock, MC, was killed in a flying accident at Northolt on 22nd June 1922, less than four months after the birth of his daughter, Pamela Mary McClintock. He also left a son, John Arthur Peter McClintock, born 30th April 1920.
Young John also joined the RAAF and became a Flight Lieutenant but was killed in action on 9th November 1940. (26)
His sister Pamela Mary McClintock, born 19th Feb 1922, was married on 25th October 1941 to Anthony Phillip Gray of Hurricane House, Flee, Hampshire, and has issue. Her widowed mother Molly McClintock was present at the wedding of Dawn McClintock and Matthew Bell in 1936. On 2nd February 1939, she was one of the main players at a Bobsleigh Ball held at the Palace Hotel in St. Moritz, entertaining large groups alongside Princess Aspasia and Princess Alexandra of Greece, Prince Henry XXXII of Reuss, Lady Doverdale, Mr and Mrs Godfrey Locker-Lampson, Sir Basil Tangye, Mrs Bruce-Lockhart, Mr Kenneth Wagg, Captain JV Nash and RAF officers competing in the Boblet Grand Prix. (27) She was living at 191 Quee's Gate, SW, when news of her eldest sons death was reported. 18 Hans Crescent, SW1, when Burke's LGI went to print in 1958. One happy occasion later in life was when she stood as godparent to Carolyn Jane Churchill Oldfield, daughter of Mr. and Mrs Christopher Oldfield at her christening in St Peter's Cranley Gardens on May 4th 1954. The other godparents were Lady Brabazon of Tara, Mrs. Robert Macdonald, Miss Jennifer Barnard, Lord Worsley and Mr Peter Buchanan. (28)
On Thursday 13th March 1913, The Times carried word that 'a marriage has been arranged between Henry Arthur Bruen, XV, The King's Hussars son of Mr and Mrs Henry Bruen of Oak Park, Carlow, Ireland, and Gladys, only daughter of Mr and Mrs Arthur McClintock of Rathvinden, Co Calow'. (29) They were married on 13th June 1913 at St. Patrick's Cathedral with the Primate and Dean F. McClintock presiding, alongside the Very Rev Dean Finlay. (30) Dean James Finlay was shockingly murdered at his own home in County Cavan in June 1921.
Gladys and Henry Bruen's marriage came to a dramatic conclusion after 26 years when she ran off with the Montenegran prince, Milo Petrovic-Njegos, and settled in Roundstone, Co. Galway. Rathvinden seems to have passed to the Whitely family about this time and was later home to Victor McCalmont.
From 1993 to 2006, Rathvinden was home to Douglas Gresham, the step-son of C. S. Lewis, and his wife Merrie, who ran it as 'a multi-faceted house ministry including hospitality to people in full-time ministry, counselling and evangelism'. After the Greshams moved to Malta, the house was converted by the Grahams into the first five-star guesthouse in Carlow. It was back on the market in 2016 with an asking price of €1.6 million.
With thanks to Stanley Jenkins, Gerry McDermott (Ideal Med Ltd., Hooton), Frank King (formerly of Mount Irwin), Philip Lecane, Joe Gleeson, David Gibson, Sean Galvin, David and Mary Theroux & the Carlow Rootsweb.