Family lore holds that the O’Halloran’s emigrated north from Co. Clare to Co. Antrim in the late 18th century due to a combination of religious and political pressures. Certainly Halloran, or O'h-Allmhurain , meaning ‘stranger from overseas’, was a Munster name. The Clare branch of the O'h-Allmhurain were of the same stock as the MacConmaras and their original territory embraced much of the district around Ogonnelloe in the Barony of Tulla, from where they spread southwards into Co. Limerick.[i]
Their ancestor is said to have been Michael O'Halloran, a "substantial” 18th century Catholic farmer, who had at least three sons by his wife Mary McDonnell. It is certainly interesting that a link to the McDonnell family at this early stage. There were two lines of the Antrim clan of McDonnells living in Clare at this time, both Church of Ireland and both regarded themselves as reasonably close kinsmen of the Antrim branch. It seems likely that Mary McDonnell was connected to one of these lines but no further details of Mary’s family are yet known.
Michael and Mary’s sons appear to have been raised in a manner typical of the 18th century Catholic Irish whereby the first son joined the church, the second secured the land and a vocation, and the third went for higher education. In this instance, the eldest brother, the Rev Joseph Ignatius O'Halloran SJ (1718-1800) went to the Jesuit College in Bordeaux and was later appointed Professor of Philosophy at the University of Bordeaux. The third brother Sylvester O'Halloran was born on December 31st 1728 at Caherdavin, Co. Clare, and became an eminent surgeon, historian and antiquary.[ii] The middle brother George O'Halloran, was a jeweler and a man of property who probably served his apprenticeship in Limerick City. It was suggested that this was the George O’Halloran who relocated to Ulster and became such a prominent figure in Glenarm. However, Walker's Hibernian magazine of 1804, otherwise known as the ‘Compendium of entertaining knowledge’ refers to the recent death of “Mr. George Halloran, formerly an eminent silversmith” in Limerick. If he was the middle son, George would have been born between 1718 and 1728.
Above: Glenarm Castle, seat of the McDonnells, with whom the O'Halloran
family were closely associated from the 1770s until at least the 1860s.
The original George Halloran of Glenarm was born circa 1764, place unknown, making him a direct contemporary of Theobald Wolfe Tone and Napoleon’s Empress Josephine. On his headstone, he is said to have ‘departed this life 29th February 1846 aged 81 years’. Subtracting 81 from 1846 gets 1765. However if his birthday fell after February 29th, then he could have been born in 1764. And just to add to the confusion, The Nation gave his age at the time of his death as 89 which would mean he was born in 1757.
It is possible that his father was a son, or even grandson, of George O’Halloran, the Limerick silversmith alluded to above but this has yet to be proven. It has also been suggested that he was the son of a haberdasher from Castlewellan, Co. Down, the adjoining county to Antrim. Certainly this was the only Halloran or O’Halloran family living in the Glens of Antrim during this time. [ii.a] The family grave in Glenarm notably gives George’s surname as Halleran.
A man by the name of George Halloran (as opposed to O’Halloran or Halleran) was registered as a tenant of the Earl of Antrim in the townland of Druminagh in Glencloy (Carnlough) in 1777.[iii] On the basis that George of Glenarm was born in 1763, he would have only been 14 at this time so perhaps this refers to his father, also George.
Hector McDonnell, a family historian, writes: ‘Glenarm only became the Antrims' seat in the 1750s and they did develop things in the late 18th century, including the harbour, so it may well be that the quarrying was started at that time. In that case it is quite possible that the first O'Hallorans came there then, and were in contact with [the then] Lord Antrim … The Antrims employed an engineer from Whitehaven called Myers in the 1750s and 1760s to build the castle and most probably the church too. He had originally come over to build the harbour at Ballycastle so it may well be that he was involved in the development of Glenarm harbour too but I have no evidence. There are however a series of interesting late 18th century plans for the redevelopment of Glenarm indicating an interest in the development of its commercial possibilities. Ballycastle was certainly exploiting its mining potential and its salt production, so it could well be that similar things were being started up at Glenarm.'
In any event, during the 1780's, George became closely connected with the Earl of Antrim, ultimately working for him as both a Revenue officer and an Enforcer in the Anglican Parish in Glenarm. As Tithe Commissioners were required by law to come from outside the area, George may have been “imported” into Co. Antrim by the Earl. He was presumably there in August 1787 when the Earl recieved an important guest when the Lord Lieutenant arrived at Glenarm Castle. 'On his arrival, joy was in every eye,' gushed the Freeman's Journal (August 21, 1787), 'and every heart was elate, and the surrounding country was a perfect illumination – From Glenarm he goes to Tullamore, a lodge of the Right Hon John O’Neill’s where his Grace proposes taking the diversion of grousing &c for a few days.'
On 17th January 1790, aged about 27, he married Eleanor Forbes (1766-1841), the 24-year-old daughter of Hugh Forbes of Bridge Street, Glenarm, Co. Antrim. Their first son Hugh died in April 1791 aged three months. A second son Arthur died in October 1796 aged 12 months while another son Nicholas died in March 1802 aged 10 years. They also lost a daughter Jane, aged 18, who died in August 1812. George and Eleanor’s surviving children were George, Richard and Margaret.
The original minute books and registers reveal that George was appointed Revenue Officer (collector of tithes) for St Patrick’s church, Glenarm, on 27th April 1796. George was to remain on St Patrick’s vestry for many years and, in 1815, he was also appointed a Churchwarden.
During the 1798 Rebellion, he served in the loyalist Glenarm Yeomanry, under Captain George Stewart. [iii.a] This 60-strong force was threatened with an attack by United Irishman rebels in June 1798 and obliged to take refuge in Glenarm Castle. When Earl Camden, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, sent his dispatches from Dublin Castle to Whitehall on June 23rd, he mentioned that Captain Stewart of the Glenarm Yeomanry and Captain Mathews of the Portaferry Yeomanry ‘had behaved uncommonly well in repulsing large bodies of rebels, who attacked them with great fury’.[iv] On 20th December 1800, George was commissioned as a Lieutenant in the Glenarm Yeomanry under Captain Stewart. It seems highly likely that Lieutenant George O’Halloran thus bestowed the name ‘Stewart’ as a middle name upon his eldest son George Stewart Hallroan, who was born in about 1800. The Stewarts were closely allied to the Earls of Antrim, acting as their agents from the early 1600s and holding substantial portions of the McDonnell lands in Co. Antrim. They were also intermarried with the McDonnells of Kilmore in Glenarrif, amongst others. Captain Stewart died in 1802 and P. Mathewson was commissioned as the new captain of the Glenarm Yeomanry on 8th February 1803.[v]
George was certainly very focused on the importance of names at this point because it is believed he dropped the O from the family name of O’Halloran in the wake of the 1798 rebellion. He had certainly dropped it by the time of his commissioned into the Glenarm Yeomanry, dated 20 December 1800. (Yeomanry Corps 1843, sourced from the Carlton Club, St James).
George Halloran was evidently also a road contractor. He was mentioned in the Lent Assizes for 1811 Road Sessions - 'To George Halloran, Alexander and William McCloy to make 34 perches of road - Glenarm to Ballycastle - in Harphall (Carnlough) at 1s 6p.'
In October 1812, two months after the death of his 18-year-old daughter Jane, George Halloran (then aged 49), Joseph Hunter and Phil Gibbons were to superintend the pulling down of the courthouse steeple in Glenarm which had become dangerous. To achieve this, the sum of £11 7s 6d had been levied on the Barony, all of which was paid to Phil Gibbons. The Gibbons connection is interesting. Phil was born in Westport, Co Mayo where his father John Gibbons had been land agent for the local landlord, Lord Altamont. Phil’s father and two of his brothers, John (jun) and Edmond were implicated in the 1798 Rebellion. After the Rebellion John (sen) escaped to France where he died many years later, while John (jun) was hanged at Westport and Edmond was sentenced to life in Botany Bay. Edmond jumped ship in France, joined an Irish Legion and was killed fighting at Boulogne in 1809. Phil favoured a sea-faring life and, as captain of a smack vessel, sailed into Glenarm Harbour where he met Anne Stewart, daughter of the Earl of Antrim's agent in Glenarm. They were married in about 1788. Gibbons eventually came to live at No 58 High Street, Carnlough. By the time of the 1798 Rebellion, he was a respected property holder in Carnlough and a loyal member of the Church of Ireland congregation. He not implicated in the rising. Like George he supplemented his income by taking on road repairs and road construction and his name appears in 1811 Road Sessions. He also built a loose stone pier “200 ft long and 200ft broad (for about £1200) which could take vessels of 15-20 weight”. Phil Gibbons’ name as a juryman appeared for the last time on 2nd April, 1814 and he died in 1816.[vi] (When Lt J Chaytor’s made an advance statement of his Ordnance Survey in 1832, he noted that Phil Gibbon’s pier in Glenarm was already in a dilapidated condition. It nonetheless served as a protection for the new harbour during its construction from 1853-55).
On Monday, November 2nd 1812, the Freemans Journal (p.3) referred to the following incident which George was presumably very familiar with: ‘On Monday last, two seamen gave information to Mr. Wilson, land waiter, of Glenarm, that their vessel had struck upon a rock at the point of Garran, north of Glenarm, and that she had immediately drifted off the shore. Mr. Wilson immediately mustered a crew, and proceeded in quest of the vessel, in a revenue boat, which is only about 19 feet in the keel. After upwards of two hours sailing, in a strong gale of wind, and the sea running mountains high., he came up with her, about mid-channel, between the Whillans rocks and the rock of Ailsa. Her gave orders to get the grappling clear, and running up alongside to leeward effected a boarding about twelve at noon. Mr. W then set sail, steered for Loch Ryan in Scotland and anchored her at the Cairn, a place of perfect safety, about nine o’clock at night.'
There is also a fine story about George S Halloran and the Glenarm soup-kitchens, accessible here at http://www.antrimhistory.net/content.php?cid=539, in which George is described as having ‘devoted his energies for almost fifty years to the welfare of the poor of the parish’ as treasurer.
In 1816, George Halloran had the lease of a farm in the townland of Mullaghconnelly.[vii] It is believed he farmed at Mullaghconnelly, Glenarm, but lived on Toberwine Street in central Glenarm, close to the Soup Kitchen which he supervised on behalf of the Vestry. In 1825, Lord Antrim commissioned William Vitruvius Morrison to rebuild Glenarm castle. In 1830, George was also farming 11a, 0r, 28p in the townland of Libbert (Glenarm).
One presumes George was amongst those in attendance when the Glenarm Branch of the North East Society held their second annual show at Glenarm on 24th September, followed by a meeting of the soceity where Edmund McDonnell (President), Thomas Davison (Vice President), Lord Mark Kerr, the Rev. Alexander Montgomery, Robert Batt, Conway E. Dobbs and several other visitors from Glenarm Castle, sat down to an excellent plain dinner, provided by Miss Dunn for the occasion. [vi.a]
"When Larne doctor James McHenry wrote a fictitious novel in 1820 he could not have imagined that in later years people would have accepted the story as historical fact. The novel in question "O'Halloran, or the Insurgent Chief"' deals with the United Uprising of 1798 around the coast from Larne to Ballygally. O'Halloran was placed in the factual setting of the old stone castle off Ballygally Head. This building in the novel was the local rendezvous point for the proscribed organisation, the United Irishmen of which O'Halloran, described in the book as 'an honourable Co. Antrim gentleman", was secretly a prominent member.
Over the years the stone castle became known as O'Halloran's although no such person ever existed. O'Halloran was thought to be modelled on Jame Agnew Farrell, leader of the Larne rebels, who later purchased quarries at Magheramourne.
Despite the fact that it is centred around the 1798 Rising, the story is chiefly a romantic historical novel. O'Halloran's sister Ellen and Edward Barrymore, an English gentleman, provide the main romance. Few copies of the novel exist today.'
Felix McKillop, "Glenarm - A local History" (1987) - 'O'Halloran, or the Insurgent Chief'.
In 1830, Mary Halloran, a daughter of George Halloran of Glenarm, was married in Glenarm to James Ross, son of Captain Ross of Glaslough in County Monaghan. The captain is likely to have been the Scots-born Presbyterian land agent John Ross, a sometime employee of Charles Powell Leslie of Castle Leslie, Glaslough.[vii.a]
The 1832 Tithe Applotment records for the Parish of Tickmacrevan (Glenarm) list George as head of house at Mullaghconnelly, Glenarm, as well as a number of residential properties in Glenarm Town.[viii] George appears to have left Mullaghconnelly sometime between 1832 and 1840.
Eleanor died on 3 Aug 1841 and was buried in the Glebe graveyard, just out side Glenarm.
According to Lennon Wylie 1843, George Halloran of Lower Glenarm was listed as one of fourteen High Constables and Collectors of Cess for Co. Antrim. He was also listed as one of eighteen Dispensaries in the county (and the only one in Glenarm). The Earl of Antrim was Deputy Lieutenant for Co. Antrim at this time, while George, Earl of Belfast (a son of the Marquess of Donegall) was Lord Lieutenant for the county.
In 1835, Lloyd’s Register of Shipping noted a vessel called ‘Glenarm’ owned by Mr. Halloran and built in Jersey earlier that year. She belonged to Belfast Port and was sailing, via Jersey, for Quebec under Master Buttershal.[ix]On 3rd December 1842, the South Australian Register noted that “the barque Glenarm, from Liverpool, Captain White, one hundred and nineteen days, arrived in [Hobart?] Bay on Wednesday evening last.” However just as she was landing (opposite Brighton) a white squall struck her and carried away her mizenmast and caused some further damage. The accident was spotted from the shore by Edward Stephens and John Morphet who notified HW Philips, ‘Lloyd’s Agent at this port’ who ensured she was brought safely into the bay. ‘The Glenarm was laid on for New Zealand, as well as Port Adelaide, but it is hardly expected that she will proceed further on her voyage if a purchaser can be found for her here’.[x] However, on 22nd December 1844, the Glenarm was reportedly loading up with oil at Port Nicholson and she left for London, via Adelaide, on the 28th
In 1844, The Bible Christian referred to George as taking the chair at a soiree held by Glenarm’s Remonstrant congregation on 22nd October.[xi] The full reference is here:
George Halloran's grave in Glenarm, dated 1849.
“On Tuesday, Oct.22, the Remonstrant congregation of Glenarm held a soiree, in their meeting-house, for the purpose of expressing their gratitude to their friends, of other religious denominations, who came forward so kindly to get up, and sign petitions on their behalf, during the progress of the Dissenters' Chapels Bill. This must have been a pleasing duty to every member of the congregation; for in no other locality did the members of other religious communities manifest a greater interest in the success of their Remonstrant brethren, than in that of Glenarm. The meeting was numerous and respectable. After tea, on the motion of the Rev. A. Montgomery, seconded by the Rev. T. Smyth, George S. Halloran, Esq. was called to the chair. Several sentiments, of a routine character, having been gone over, the Chairman gave,—" Sir Robert Peel, and her Majesty's Ministers;" "Civil and Religious Liberty;" "Our Deputation to London m defence of our rights;" " Our Friends of other religious denominations, who aided us so liberally in the hour of danger;" " The Rev. A Montgomery, the old and faithful minister of the congregation of Glenarm ;" " The Rev Thomas Smyth, and the congregation of Glenarm;" "The Ladies;" and " The Northern Whig." The Rev. Messrs. Campbell, Glendy, Montgomery, Smyth, and 11. Martin, Esq. spoke on the occasion.”
On Saturday, March 14, 1846, The Nation noted the death at Cushendun of George Halloran of Glenarm, Co. Antrim, aged 89 years. According to other accounts, George died at Culfreightrim aged 81 on 29th February 1846, having ‘so faithfully supervised the running of the Broth Shop in 1817’. One of his last acts was to install a new boiler (Jan 1846). He was buried alongside his late wife in the Glebe graveyard, Glenarm. The inscribed headstone gives George Halloran, Esq (1765-1846) of Glenarm and his wife Eleanor Forbes (1765-1841).
George and Eleanor’s eldest son was George Stewart Halloran. He and his brother Richard set up a business exporting limestone from quarries owned by the Earl of Antrim.
The O’Halloran family motto is generally given as "Ripis rapax, rivis audax", meaning ‘On the banks rapacious, in the streams daring.’ Another version is "Rapax ripis, audax rives", similarly translated as 'Rapacious on the banks, audacious on the rivers'. Family lore holds that it was bestowed on the family as a result of their support of Brian Boru, with Clan Ferghaill in Galway and Clare, long before the move to Antrim.
A notice in the Belfast Newsletter of 15 April 1828 shows that Captain McDonnell [quite possibly Thomas McDonnell, see Appendix 1 at foot of this page] was sailing for Jamaica in a brig called John Echlin, and that interested parties were to apply to George S and Richard Halloran in Belfast. Similarly, in April 1832, the Halloran brothers of 39, Donegall Quay, Belfast, were the people to consult if interested in sending freight or passengers on the brig Adventure, bound for Jamaica via Antigua under Captain William Wilson.
Richard and George Halloran appear to have adopted their own motto ("Per Mare et Terram") and crest (an otter) for their shipping business. The use of blue and white colours on the ancient shield may emphasize the link to south-western Scotland. Regarding the otter, I think the following reference from 1846 to the otters of Antrim is probably of relevance:
'In many parts of Ireland the Otter is yet very common, and commits great havoc among the salmon during their periodical visits to the fresh-water. It would seem, from the observations of Mr. Ogilby (sec ' Proceeds. Zool. Soc.,' 1834, p.iii.), that the Irish Otter is specifically different from that of our island, or at least that there is in the north of Ireland another species. Mr. Ogilby observes that its habitation and manners are peculiar. "It is," he says, " to a considerable extent, a marine animal, being found chiefly along the coast of the county of Antrim, living in hollows and caverns, formed by the scattered masses of the basaltic columns of that coast, and constantly betaking itself to the sea when alarmed or hunted. It feeds chiefly on salmon ; and as it is consequently injurious to the fishery, a premium is paid for its destruction; and there are many persons who make a profession of hunting it, earning a livelihood by the reward paid for it, and by disposing of its skin." It is darker coloured than the common Otter of our island, being nearly black, with a less extent of pare colour beneath the throat. A specimen is to be seen in the museum of the Zoological Society.'
From ' Penny magazine of the Society for the diffusion of useful knowledge, Volume 8, Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (G. Knight & Co., 1846).
On 8th March 1837, The Times recorded that George Stewart Halloran of Belfast, merchant, was to appear before the bankrupt courts at the Clarendon Rooms, Liverpool, at midday on March 23rd . As “a trader”, George was “jointly indebted with Richard Halloran of St Michael’s” and that there had been “sep. dividends of G.S. Halloran, and joint dividends”.[xii] His name was also amongst a large number of names of people declared bankrupt in the Metropolitan magazine between 21st February and 17th March 1837.[xiii]
However, the London Gazette listed G. S. Halloran, of Belfast, merchant, as one of eight people across Britain granted a Certificate (to do business?) on June 14th 1838.[xiv]
In about 1840, George Stewart Halloran resumed the use of the ‘O’ in the family name which his father had abandoned four decades earlier. O’Halloran was the name he was known by in Scotland, Australia and New Zealand. And when his nephews Gerald and George Halloran came out to join him in 1860 in Melbourne they also adopted took the name O'Halloran.
To the Memory of Jane Frances daughter of the late
Rev. Richard Davis, wife of George S O'Halloran
of Glasgow died 1851 aged 32.
George married twice. His first wife was Jane Frances Davis, daughter of the late Rev. Richard Davies (Co. Antrim). She died in Glasgow aged 38 on 6th December 1852. [The Coleraine Chronicle gives her date of death as 13th December 1851]. A plaque to the memory of ‘Jane Frances O'Halloran’ hangs upon the wall of St Patrick's Church, Glenarm. This was erected by her husband George O’Halloran who gave his address as Glasgow. He was in fact operating as a shipbroker in Scotland with offices at Buchanan Street, Glasgow. The business was called ‘O’Halloran and Brown, Ship Brokers’ and his partner was Mr. Thomas Brown. However, the business evidently went bankrupt and, on 10th July 1857, the London Gazette announced that George was ‘now in Australia, or elsewhere abroad’.[xv]
Later that same year, he was married in Melbourne to Elizabeth Hodgson. This gave him a house in the well-to-do suburb of Emereld Hill. They had no children.
The Argus newspaper of Melbourne has a number of references to Halloran & Brown's company during a 4-year period between May 1853 and May 1857. These indicate that G. S. O’Halloran was in business with Mr. Brown (Gavan Brown is named as the son) and that they owned a fleet of ships – LochLomond (clipper), Ocean (Brig), Agnes (schooner), Ada (steamer), Sabine (barque) and Aim (brig) - which they used to transport cargo from Britain to Australia (sometimes via Cape Town). Their Melbourne offices were on Market Square, which belonged to Gavin Ralston, believed to be a businessman of Ayrshire origins. [xv.a] At other periods they had offices at 17 Flinders Street in Geelong (with Thomas Ogilvie) and 114 Lonsdale-street, Melbourne. In 1854 it is to be noted that, as well as 6 hogsheads and 4 casks (presumably of wine), Brown, O’Halloran & Co. imported 39 casks, 55 tons coals, 54 bundles wood. It is tempting to think the coal they imported came from Carnlough, but alas that is utter speculation. By May 1857, they were both in the Insolvency Court, along with Mr. Ralston. This fits neatly with the bankruptcy of 1857. [xv.b]
One of the O'Halloran ships was the Fanny A. Garriques, a brig of 189 tons, registered to G.S. O’Halloran, Wellington. She was under the command of Captain Hansen when shipwrecked in Palliser Bay on June 30th 1863 whilst travelling from Otago to Wellington. Captain Hansen was washed overboard and whilst making for shore was drowned on the rocks. The ship was insured for £2,000 and when submitted for auction, the wreck realized only £7-10.[xv.c]
George was not the first Halloran to go down under. Laurence Hynes O'Halloran (1766-1831), a Co. Meath poet educated at Trinity College Dublin, was transported to Australia for forging a tenpenny frank. Nevertheless he was later deemed suitable to take up the position of headmaster of a grammar school in Sydney. It is also to be noted that John Lanktree, Lord Antrim’s agent from 1843 to 1850, also emigrated to Australia in October 1850, having run into financial difficulty.
After two wives and a lifetime of bankruptcies, George died in Wellington on 20 June 1868 aged 68. Arthur Braithwaite, who filled out his death certificate, attributed his death to 'paralysis' which was seemingly a common term for syphillis in those times. He left no heir, male or female. In his obituary, he is reported to have owned four vessels engaged in transporting cattle between Wellington and Dunedin during the boom times of the Otago gold rush. The Mercantile Navy List & Maritime Directory for 1867 referred to George S. O’Halloran (Melbourne) operating the 121-ton Adelaide Packet out of Melbourne.
In George S O'Halloran's (1800-1868) obituary in the Evening Post of Wellington, dated 22nd June 1868 it is written: ‘Since Mr O'Halloran's residence in Wellington, he has endeared himself to a large circle of friends, for his many social, generous and good qualities. He might well be termed the fine old Irish gentleman. Mr O'Halloran was an intimate friend of Lord Antrim, with whom he had an interest in a large quarry at Glenarm, County Antrim - the birthplace of the subject of this short notice. While managing this quarry it would appear he was much beloved by all his workmen, they having presented him with a most affectionate token of respect in the shape of a large silver snuff box, bearing the appropriate description of "Irish gratitude, from his workmen". At the same time Mr O'Halloran was presented with a very handsome silver salver by the residents of Glenarm".
His family are currently restoring his grave in the historic Bolton Street Memorial Park.
Above: Harphall House, the home of Richard Halloran.
George’s second son Richard Halloran, a merchant, married Jane Disney (1816-1854), daughter of the Rev. Brabazon William Disney (1797-1874), Dean of Armagh. He was educated at the Belfast Academical Institution. In 1844 he leased from Mr. McGildowny the kilns at Knockans near Cushendall together with the quarry above. Later he leased the quarry and kilns at Glenarm.
When Griffith’s Valuation conducted its survey of Tickmacrevan, Co. Antrim, in [year], Richard Halloran was noted as a resident of ‘Harphall’ in Carnlough. Jane died young in Glenarm in 1854 and is buried in St Patricks Church of Ireland, Glenarm. Richard and Jane had ten children before her untimely demise, of whom George Stewart O'Halloran (1845-1910) was great-grandfather to Alan Martin, Director at Martin & O'Halloran Limited. A younger brother, Brabazon Disney O'Halloran (1856-1901), was Chief Postmaster for Whangarei, New Zealand. All the children are said to have been very well educated.
"Owing to a trivial offence he had given to Lord Antrim’s agent, Mr. Hannah, Halloran was turned out of these in November 1857 in favour of the latter’s brother. Halloran then came to live in Carnlough he was eagerly welcomed by Richard Wilson who accommodated him with a yard between High Street and the Methodist Church. From it he conducted a coat importing business until he took over the management of the kilns." Details via Antrimhistory.net
In 1856, two years after Jane’s death, Richard leased a coal import yard at the back of 44-52 High Street, Carnlough, from Richard Wilson, the man who replaced the bankrupt John Lanktree as agent to Lord Antrim in 1850.[xvi] Wilson oversaw the construction of the new harbour between 1853 and 1855, as well as the two storey Town Hall and clock tower, a new quarry, a new harbour and a new agent’s house at Drumalla. Wilson was later land agent to the Marquess and Marchioness of Londonderry (who owned Glencloy) until 1865.
In an article on the limestone extractive industry in Glencloy (Carnlough), included in his book 'Glencloy, a local history', Felix McKillop wrote: ‘In February 1860, Richard Wilson (agent to the Londonderry family who owned Glencloy) wrote to the Marchioness (of Londonderry, who lived in Co Durham) to point out that 'all five kilns are at work and are kept as busy as possible from morning to night'. He also expressed the need for a person to manage the growing (limestone) industry. He had Richard Halloran in mind. Halloran earlier had the lease of the quarries and kilns at Glenarm but due a dispute with Lord Antrim lost this lease and came to live in Carnlough. In 1857 he had leased a coal import yard at the back of 44-52 High Street, Carnlough from Wilson. The yard, beside the lime kiln presently standing between High Street and the Methodist Church in Herbert Street, is still known as 'Halloran's Yard'. Wilson continues: 'the only person I know capable to manage the business is Mr Halloran, but whether he would devote his whole energy to it and give up his other business I do not know as I have not spoken to him. He must have an accurate knowledge of such business from his long experience in it and is well acquainted with the Scottish coast. If he could give security for his actions I know of no other person who would likely suit as well'.
In May 1860 Richard Halloran accepted the job [as manager of 5 lime kilns at Carnlough] at a salary of £150 a year. Four years later he took over the whole concern as manager of the Carnlough Lime Works, quarries and all, on a lease as from 1st February 1864, at an annual rent of £500. Developed in the early 19th century, the limestone quarry was a considerable business, supplying much of the limestone used for steel production in Glasgow. As such, to be managing these quarries was a position of much importance.The Public Records Office of Northern Ireland notes that, as "Lords of the Soil" for the four baronies of Glenarm, Dunluce, Kilconway and Cary (including Rathlin Island), the Earls of Antrim ‘had an interest in the exploitation of the mineral wealth of the north of Antrim, including areas were they had lost possession of the land.’ One of the earliest documents in PRONI’s collection is a lease, dating from 1639, of the coal mines and salt pans of Bonamargy, just to the east of Ballycastle, and it is clear from the wording of this document that mining was already well established in the area by this time. Another document shows that Ballycastle coal was sold in Dublin in the early eighteenth century. Iron ore, bauxite and limestone were also mined and the Earls were involved in the development of harbours, roads and railways to facilitate the exportation of the minerals. Amongst the industrial concerns whose records are included in the collection are: the Ballycastle collieries, Glenariff Iron Ore and Harbour Co., the Antrim Iron Ore Co., Glenarm Whiting Mill, Glenarm harbour and the Carnlough harbour and railway.
Richard Halloran died in New Zealand in 1869.
In 1865, his daughter Jane Disney O'Halloran married Arthur Braithwaite wo was informant on death record of George S O'Halloran.
George and Eleanor’s daughter Margaret was previously thought to have died unmarried or left Ireland. However, a notice in the Coleraine Chronicle appears to be throw this into question: 'Death of Margaret O’Halloran, at Clorinda Park East, Kingstown, at the residence of her brother-in -law, James Ross, Esq., on July 1, 1869, eldest daughter of the late George O’Halloran, Esq. Glenarm.'
Above: George O'Halloran photographed
by J Martin, "Photographrist",
Market Entrance, Queen Street,
Auckland circa 1870's.
In 1860-61, Richard and Jane’s elder son Gerald Richard O'Halloran (1844-1925) left Glenarm with his brother George to join their uncle George Stewart O’Halloran in Melbourne and Wellington.
George Stewart O'Halloran (1845-1910) spent the period 1863-1872 in the Militia and Armed Constabulary and was Captain of the Patea Cavalry during the Taranaki campaign.
An extract from George’s autobiography reads as follows:
"Here are the instructions I received, written in pencil on a fly-leaf of the Colonel's pocket-book whilst he sat on his horse before starting for the front.
'Captain O'Halloran will proceed to Whanganui with as little delay as possible and if necessary stop the press and have the following advertisement inserted.- Cavalry Volunteers for the Front. Captain O'Halloran has instructions to raise in Whanganui about 30 men for the Patea Yeomanry Cavalry. Conditions etc will be explained to the men by Captain O'Halloran.
Signed Thomas McDonnell, Lieutenant Colonel Commanding Patea Field Force August 3rd 1868'
Captain O'Halloran and Lieutentant Bryce were both mentioned in dispatches for the part they played in the battle of Handley's Woolshed in which action 8 natives were killed in a cavalry charge. The Patea Cavalry also fought in the Battle of Ngu-o-Te Manu on 7 Sep 1868 (George's 23rd birthday) in Von Tempsky's Division.
Alan Martin was presented with George’s cavalry sword by a cousin and has since passed it on to his nephew who is a policeman in Wellington. As well as commanding the Patea Cavalry, he wrote an auto-biography. In 1875, George Stewart O’Halloran’s name pops up in The Thames Star with 250 shares in the Midas Goldmining Company in Tairua (Te Aroha), New Zealand. In 1878, George Lipsey (of Co. Leitrim, Ireland) built the first Hot springs Hotel at Tairua for his father-in-law [Te Mokena Hou]. The Thames Advertiser commented, ‘The hotel, if well conducted, will be a great boon for persons seeking these springs for their health-giving properties’. By 1879, the Thames Advertiser recorded three hotels at Tairua: ‘the Hot springs Hotel kept by Mokena, the Waitoa Hotel at the landing place kept by George S O’Halloran and the Te Aroha Hotel kept by Mr Missen’. By 1880, regular river boat services plied between Thames and Paeroa, with a coach service from Hamilton to connect with the train from Auckland. In 1880, gold was discovered on the slopes of Te Aroha mountain and the Tairua goldfield was proclaimed in November 1880. The township of Tairua was surveyed on part of the Mokena whanau’s land and the population increased rapidly in the boom conditions of a new mining town. In 1881, the hot springs reserve of 20 acres was gazetted as a recreation ground under section 44 of the Land Act. Some of the pressure on Government to develop the amenities of the hot springs reserve had come from George O’Halloran, the former storekeeper at Omahu who, by 1880, had also acquired Mokena’s Hot springs Hotel, put in a road to the springs and a ferry across the Waihou River.[xviii] ‘As a speculation in 1877 Gerald O’Halloran applied for a title to a block of 115 acres of freehold land some two miles from Paeroa on the way towards the mines. This was granted through the Maori Land Court on 5th May 1881. A family called Turner were 'invited to occupy and develop the land with a view to buying it.’ [xix]
By 1883, George O’Halloran was no longer involved with the Hot Springs Hotel which had been taken on by J. Coleman (late of Hamilton), as he was one of the main brokers for the Thames Mining Shares (with R.G. Macky and John Bullock). In June 1883, the Te Aroha News noted that front ‘of his auction mart was blown completely out, considerable damage being thereby occasioned.’ In 1886, George reunited with his brother Gerald to establish the accountancy practice of O'Halloran & Co in Auckland. This firm continues to this day, four generations on. George S O’Halloran died in Auckland in December 1910.
On 2 December 1910, the Thames Star published the following under the caption: 'SUICIDE AT PARNELL -A MAN CUTS HIS THROAT': (Per United Press Association, AUCKLAND, (December 1): George Stewart O'Halloran, 65 years of age, committed suicide by cutting his throat at his home in Parnell this afternoon. No reason is assigned for the deed beyond the fact that he had been out of sorts the last few days. He leaves a wife, son and three daughters, one of whom is married.' [xx]
Other Ulstermen involved in the Taranaki campaign who also received promotion were John Ballance (who became Prime Minister of New Zealand) and Lieutenant John Boyce, of the Kai-Iwi Cavalry (who, as Minister of Native Affairs, will forever be associated with the storming of Parahaki Pa in 1881).
By Brabazon Martin
Was this the house in Posh Parnell that O’Halloran took his life?
After 50 years in an alien land
Including 9 a soldier in strife
Captain O’Halloran made his final stand.
His weapon of choice a cutthroat razor
He was just 65
His reason – remorse
His decision – to be no longer alive.
The legacy this shameful act brought upon his kin
Was bitter, long and deep
By destroying all photos of him the family expiated the sin
And left him in unquiet sleep.
100 years on in 2010 I visit the land of his birth
Pray for him in St Patrick’s Glenarm
Return his soul to the good Ulster earth
With the hope we can now disarm.
Restore Aotearoa to a land of peace.
By the grace of God all conflict will now cease.
The Clareman, 'Sylvester O'Halloran, surgeon and antiquarian' in the "Clare Champion", 16 May 1986.
Hayes, Richard, 'Some notable Limerick doctors' in "North Munster Antiquarian Journal" vol. 1, no. 3 (1938).
Hogan, Patrick (ed.), 'The Common Place Book of Thady O'Halloran of Ballycunneen, Bunratty, Co.
Clare (1727-97) in "North Munster Antiquarian Journal" vol. 7 (1956).
J.B. Lyons, 'The letters of Sylvester O'Halloran' in "North Munster Antiquarian Journal" vol. 9 (1962-65).
With manifold thanks to Maria O'Brien, Felix McKillop, Alan Martin, Hector McDonnell, Gerald O’Halloran, Jessica McCormack, Dr. Edith Pendleton, Barbara Wells, Gordon Power and others.
[ii] At least two of Sylvester’s sons converted to the Church of Ireland, probably in order to obtain access to better education.
[ii.a] I am unsure of the connection, if any, between George O’Halloran (below) and the Glenarm family. He was evidently a supporter of Catholicism generally and Daniel O’Connell in particular. On 31st January 1846, The Nation noted a ‘George O’Halloran’ who contributed £10 when Owen McMullen, Treasurer, took subscriptions for the O’Connell Tribute from Kilmegan (Castlewellan, Co. Down). On Wednesday June 4th 1851, The Freeman’s Journal noted the marriage of Mary Anne, eldest daughter of George O’Halloran, Esq., of Castlewellan to Captain A.H. Plaine, second son of the late Captain Plaine of the Royal Navy. They were married in Castlewellan on May 28th. On Thursday, August 24, 1854, The Freeman’s Journal noted that ‘George O’Halloran, Esq., Castlewellan’ was amongst those who contributed to a collection defraying the expenses of the construction of the new Gothic-style Roman Catholic chapel in Newcastle on a site granted to the congregation in perpetuity by Earl Annesley.
[iii] PRONI D2977/7B/1.
[iii.a] On September 9th 1808, the Freemans Journal (p.4) referred to the marriage of Mr. James Orr, merchant, of Randlastown, to Miss Stewart of Harp-hall, near Glenarm. [NB: Harphall was later Richard Halloran’s home].
[iv] The Gentleman's magazine, Volume 68, Part 2, p. 614 and 709 (F. Jefferies, July 1798). Ironically, a two volume novel was published in Philadelphia BY H. C. Carey and I. Lea in 1824 entitled “O'HALLORAN; OR, THE INSURGENT CHIEF. AN IRISH HISTORICAL TALE OF 1798” in which, in Chapter VII (p. 65), the Glenarm Yeomanry make a cameo appearance.
[v] Other appointments of note were William Mathewson as Lieutenant (22 Dec 1823) and Edward A. Mathewson as Lieutenant (26 March 1831). (See Return of the Names of the Officers of each and every Yeomanry corps in Ireland from “ACCOUNTS AND PAPERS: THIRTY-TWO VOLUMES” (1843).
[vi] See: http://www.antrimhistory.net/content.php?cid=136
[vi.a] Freeman's Journal, Tuesday, October 14, 1828
The Autumnal Meeting of the Glenarm Branch of the North East Society – The second annual Show of this branch took place, at Glenarm, on Wednesday 24th September. In the several lots of young horses, particularly, there was great competition, and some very promising and fine two or three year old colts and fillies were exhibited by members of the society.
In the evening after the termination of the cattle show a large party, consisting of upwards of forty of the members of the society, with Edmund McDonnell, Esq., their President, Lord Mark Kerr, Robert Batt, Esq., Conway E. Dobbs, Esq., and several other visitors from Glenarm Castle, sat down to an excellent plain dinner, provided by Miss Dunn for the occasion, and served up in the Court Room, Belfast – Edmund McDonnell, Esq, in the Chair; and Thomas Davison, Esq. Vice President. After dinner, a number of toasts were drank.
The health of the President was proposed by the Rev. Alexander Montgomery, and drank by the party, with three times three. Mr McDonnell, in returning thanks, expatiated on the many advantages resulting to the country from the formation of societies such as the present, and congratulated the meeting on the spirit evinced by the numerous competitors for the different prizes, which he that day witnesses with so much satisfaction and pleasure. He drew a comparison between the soil, climate and general capabilities of this part of the country, and those of the opposite coast of Scotland, where agricultural improvement has attained so high a degree of perfection, and remarked that our natural advantages were, in many respect, superior to those of our opposite neighbours.
[vii] McKillop, Felix, 'Townlands, people and traditions' (p. 176)
[vii] The registered papers of the Office of Chief Secretary of Ireland (CSO/RP/1821/452 ) include a letter from John Ross, Ardsalla [Ardsallagh], Navan, County Meath, to Charles Powell Leslie, Bath, England, MP for County Monaghan, requesting that he recommend Ross to government for the position of regium donum agent for the Presbyterian Seceding Synod, following the death of William McAuley, 2 January 1821. Also note by Chief Secretary's Office, indicating that Leslie wrote to the CSO on 10 January 1821, enclosing Ross' letter. See
[viii] On page 45 of 'The Local History of Glenarm' (1987) by Felix McKillop, the Heads of Households include:
Mullaghconnelly - George Halloran
Libbert - Mr Halloran
Owens Libbert - Mr Halloran
Toberwine Street - Mr Halloran.
As he was described as a gentleman rather than a farmer is thought that he leased all these properties as rental units.
[ix] Lloyd's register of shipping, Wyman and sons, 1835.
[x] The South Australian register, 3rd December 1842, page 2.
[xi] The Bible Christian, Volume VI (Third Series, p. 432).
[xii] The Law Journal for the Year 1832-1949: Comprising Reports of Cases in the Courts of Chancery, King's Bench, Common Pleas, Exchequer of Pleas, and Exchequer of Chamber, E. B. Ince, 1841, p. 26
[xiii] The Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 18 – Bankrupts, p. 117, March 7.
[xiv] The Champion and Weekly Herald, Volume 1, Issue 7 - Volume 2, Issue 7, p. 96.
[xv] THE LONDON GAZETTE, JULY 10, 1857 (p.2438).
The estates of O'Halloran and Brown, Ship Brokers, JL Buchanan-street, Glasgow, as a Company, and of George Stewart O'Halloran, Ship Broker, in Glasgow; now in Australia, or elsewhere abroad, and Thomas Brown, Ship Broker, in Glasgow, the Individual Partners of that Company, as such Partners, and of the said Thomas Brown, as an Individual, were sequestrated on the 6th day of July, 1857, by the Sheriff of Lanarkshire.
The first deliverance is dated 9th June, 1857.
The meeting to elect the Trustee and Commissioners is to be held at twelve o'clock noon, on Tuesday the 14th day of July, 1857, within the Faculty Hall, St. George's-place, A composition may be offered at this meeting; and to entitle creditors to the first dividend, their oaths and grounds of debt must be lodged on or before the 6th day of November, 1857.
A Warrant of Protection against Arrestment or Imprisonment for Civil Debt, until the meeting of the creditors for the election of Trustee, has been granted to the said Thomas Brown.
All future Advertisements relating to this sequestration will be published in the Edinburgh Gazette alone.
JOHN M. HILL, Agent,
41, West George-street, Glasgow.
[xv.a] Further details about Gavin Ralston can be found here: http://www.guestral.com/ralston_gavin05rag4.htm or here http://www.geni.com/people/Gavin-Ralston/6000000003389185002 - he died aged 68 on 27 February 1874, Sandhurst, Victoria. There was also a Gavin Ralston, wine merchant, of Scotland, and these may be one and the same guy. (See biography of the wine merchants’ son Walter here http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/ralston-walter-vardon-834)
The Argus, Monday 9 May 1853: 'SHIP LOCHLOMOND, FROM GLASGOW. CONSIGNEES by this vessel will please take notice, that Mr. G. D. Gill has engaged to lighter the cargo at 15s per ton, due notice of which will be given by him in the Argus newspaper. Those desirous of landing their own goods, will please give notice to the subscribers at the office of Gavin Ralston, Esq., Market-square, without delay. BROWNS, O'HALLORAN, & CO., Owners. NB. The above clipper ship, British built, 6 years old, and A 1 at Lloyd's, 571 tons register, is open for charter or sale.
The Argus, Friday 24 June 1853: 'BRIG OCEAN, FROM GLASGOW. THIS vessel being now entered at the Custom-House, Consignees holding bills of lading to order will please present them to the undersigned, as lighters will be engaged, at current rates, as soon as they can be obtained, or goods delivered to consignees alongside, in Hobson's Bay, on sending lighters for them. BROWNS, O'HALLORAN, & CO., at Gavin Ralston's, Esq., Market-square. 21st June, 1853.'
The Argus, Tuesday 28 June 1853: 'FOR SALE, FREIGHT, OR CHARTER. The A2, British built Brig, OCEAN, 197 tons register, at present lying near Sandridge. This vessel was built in Arbroath, of the very best materials, in 1849, is a remarkably fist sailor, and carries 310 tons in 12 ½ feet of water. She is ready for any voyage, having a supply of sails and stores on board for nine months. She will be shortly at the Queens Wharf, for inspection, and will be sold worth money. For further particular apply to BROWNS, O'HALLORAN, & CO, Market-square, June 21st, 1853.'
The Argus, Tuesday 2 August 1853, and again repeatedly through month: 'FOR SALE, the fast-sailing schooner AGNES, of Glasgow, A1 in red, 126 tons register, John Battershell, Master, now discharging cargo at Geelong. This vessel was built in Greenock, of the very best materials, and was newly coppered and thoroughly overhauled previous to her leaving Glasgow, and has brought a cargo from thane of 239(?) tons, on 10 feet of water. She will bring 180 tons to the Queen a-wharf on 8 feet water. For further particulars, apply at Geelong, to the Captain on board, or to THOS. OGILVIE and in Melbourne, to the Owners, BROWN, O’HALLORAN & CO , 17, Flinders-lane, or to WM. LAWRANCE, 83 [or 33?], Collins street.'
The Argus, Thursday 11 August 1853: 'For Sale or Charter -The fine British built brig OCEAN, A 1, only four years old, 201 tons register. For particulars apply to Captain Dunbar on board, at the Queen's wharf, or to BROWNS, O’HALLORAN & CO , 114, Lonsdale-street.'
The Argus, Friday 19th August: 'NOTICE -All parties having claims against the brig OCEAN, or Capt Dunbar, will please furnish them, in duplicate, on or before the 22nd instant. BROWNS, O’ HALLORAN & Co., 114, Lonsdale street, west.'
The Argus, Friday 26 August 1853: 'BRITISH Brig. Ocean 197 tons register The above named vessel is now ballasted in the bay and ready for sea, will accept of a charter up to the 27th instant. Apply to BROWNS, O'HALLORAN & CO., 114 Lonsdale-street, west.'
The Argus, Monday 27 March 1854: 'Shipping Intelligence – Arrived: March 20 [?] - Ada, steamer, 100 tons, James Laurence, from Newcastle-on-Tyne 25th October, and Cape Town 23rd January. Brown, O Halloran, and Co, agents.'
The Argus, Friday 28 April 1854: 'April 27 -Sabrina, barque, 270 tons, John Scott, from Glasgow 9th Dec. No passengers. Brown, O'Halloran, & Co, agents.'
IMPORTS – April 27 -Sabine, from Glasgow, 325 cases, 433 sheets iron, 11 bales, Service and Allen: 2 cases, Callendar [?] cases, Murdock, Smith &; 26 cases, 55 casks, Barton and Co.; 9 cases, W. M. Bell & Co.; 1 wooden house [?], Robinson, 89 casks, 1 bale, 5 tierces, 199 cases, Westgarth, Ross & Co; 100 cases, 3000 fire-bricks, Munse, Smith & Co.; 22 cases, 10 hhds [hogsheads], Baird Brothers; 6 hhds, 4 casks, Brown, O'Halloran & Co.; 188 cases, 6 hhds, 26 casks, M. Donald and Ronald; 2 cases, McKerrie & Co.; 2 cases, 1 truss, Hogg; 44 cases, Fulton; 336 cases, 88 casks, 300 pieces paving, Rae, Dickson & Co.; 1 case , Pringle; 34 casks, R. Williamson; 1 box, Paton, Miller & Grant; 1 box, Dickson, 2 boxes Thomson; 144 packages iron, 9 cases, McKerrie, Love & Co., 1 case, Fyffe, Barr & Co.; 6 cases, Milne, 7 bales, Paton, Miller & Grant, 14 packages, 12 stoves, 44 sheets of iron, 1 iron house, J. & F. Main; 6 casks, 3 bales, 1 bag, 527 boards, McFarlane, Bogie & Co.; 39 casks, 55 tons coals, 54 bundles wood, Brown, O'Halloran & co.; 45 hhds, 275 cases, 430 packages iron, Order. [Only ones on board importing coal, perhaps from Antrim?]
The Argus, Thursday 18 May 1854: 'JAMES BLACK, Esq , or John Black, Jun , Esq, Surveyor, will find Mr Mille [sic], R. N., by addressing him at Brown, O Halloran & Co., 23 Market street.'
The Argus, Monday 11 September 1854: 'Cleared Off. September 9 -Aim, brig, 206 tons, W. A. Martin, for Newcastle, N.S.W., in ballast Brown, O'Halloran, & Co., agents.'
The Argus, Saturday 2 May 1857
Friday, 1st May, 1857.
(Before his Honor Frederick Wilkinson, Esq.,
Chief Commissioner of Insolvent Estates.)
IN RE BROWN, RALSTON AND CO.
This was a special meeting. Mr. Bayne appeared on behalf of the Official Assignee (Mr. Laing), and Mr. Billing for Messrs. Brown, O'Halloran, and Co., to prove a debt of £1,000 on the joint estate, which sum had been advanced by Mr. O'Halloran to Mr. Brown, the insolvent, on account of Mr. Brown, sen., an arrangement to that effect having previously been made; with Mr. Ralston, senior, who made a similar advance to the insolvent Ralston.
Mr. G. S. O'Halloran stated the circumstances of the arrangement referred to, and that he looked for repayment to the firm, although he did not ask them for repayment, nor debit them with the amount previously to their insolvency.
Mr. Gavan Brown, the insolvent, admitted that the advance had been made, but was unable to say whether it was received by the firm as a gift or as a loan. The payment was entered in the cash-book, and appeared in the capital account, and the amount was placed to his credit in his own account.
Mr. Billing cited Ex parte Jackson, and Ex parte Keedy and Roxton, 2 Deacon and Chitty, contending that the firm were jointly liable for the sum, and that any subsequent alteration in the arrangement made without the cognizance of the creditor could not affect the liability.
Mr. Bayne replied, that the advance had been made to the two partners in the firm separately, and that they must not be regarded as jointly liable in respect of it. The precedents cited by the learned counsel he contended did not apply to the present case.
His Honor rejected the claim, as upon the joint estate of the insolvents. Although the Court very wisely recognized the principle of giving joint security to creditors in cases where advances had been made to a partnership firm, where any evidence of the liability having been so acknowledged by them either at the time of the advance or subsequently, could be adduced ; yet that he could not regard the present as one of those instances. It appeared to him that the respective fathers of the two insolvents had advanced 1,000l to start them in business, and under that aspect ho could not recognize a joint liability, nor could he discover anything which subsequently created it, as in the case of Ex parte Jackson. In that of Ex parte Keedy and Horton there was a sub- sequent acknowledgment that the advance should be regarded as a partnership debt, which rendered the circumstances different from those which attended the present case. His Honor decided that the debt could only be proved, if at all, on the separate estate.
A claim amounting to £1,221, being charged in connection with the brig Aim, was rejected and a further claim of £1,400 was postponed for further information. Various other items of account were gone into at some length, which were explained by the insolvent Brown and Mr. O'Halloran, and the meeting closed.
The Court adjourned at half-past three o'clock to eleven o'clock this morning.
The SS Paloona from Sydney, F. W. Macbeth, 2,771 tons, docked in Tasmania on 31st August. Amongst those named as passengers in the Saloon were Brown and O’Halloran. Almost certainly just a coincidence. The Mercury (Tasmania) (Tuesday 1 September 1914)
[xv.c] Ingram, CWN, & Wheatley, Owen P, Shipwrecks: New Zealand disasters, 1795-1950 (A. H. & A. W. Reed, 1951), p. 99.
[xvi] See page 12 at http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:VjdX1ImzdmYJ:www.planningni.gov.uk/index/policy/supplementary_guidance/conservation/conservation_map/conservation-carnlough.pdf+%22Richard+Halloran%22+Glenarm&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShKdRqSts3SsGUmfLwwaJPf-U8x3tOTuNpAi15gp4Yjx5NE0M01MKH7KLldTi66C_QUJa82Qn_ksFENuZZPud4hGUGoHTNUQ1ZUqhYow8D1lTQHmul3LKFMoOc5JuNOWnKNcouH&sig=AHIEtbSHKnEbkM8apmhP8qbxs5W_3Z294w
[xvii] See PRONI D 654/N2/23. See also 'THE HAURAKI REPORT', 2006, VOL. 3. Pages 909, 910, 919.
Thames Star, Volume XII, Issue 3808, 12 March 1881, Page 2
Soiree at Paeroa.
Last evening the most successful soiree ever held at Paeroa eventuated. The public hall was crowded, fully 350 people being present, including residents from all the surrounding districts, even as far as Waitoa and Te Aroha, Waitekauri, and very many from the Thames. Tea was laid at 6.30, the tables being presided over by Mesdames .Hobson, Austin, Burt, Wick, Littlejohn, Ritchie, Jackson, and the Misses Snodgrass.
After a most enjoyable meal, the chair was taken by Mir A. Porter, who said, in his opening address, that on the occasion of the Rev. Mr Norrie arriving as resident minister of the district, the inhabitants had determined to hold a soiree, and all were to be congratulated on the success of the undertaking. (Cheers.) The district had been open a few days over six years, but it was not until the Presbyterian body had taken the matter in hand that a resident minister was thought of for Paeroa and the surrounding districts. The good qualities of Mr Norrie all present would soon have opportunity of discovering; but he felt that a good choice had been made from the little acquaintance he had of that gentleman. (Cheers) He had to congratulate the ladies who had the management of the soiree. Although it had been said that the Paeroa people could not pull together, on this occasion such a reflection could not be passed. (Cheers.) He only hoped that the same feeling would actuate the people for all works having the good of the district as an object. (Applause.) The choir then played " Fra Diavola." Mr George O'Halloran sang " When the roses bloom again."
"The Men of Harlech," by ten young lady residents of Paeroa, Miss Clark ot the Thames presiding at the piano, was the next piece. The brothers Hunter played very nicely several selections, and Mr Wiseman kept the audience in roars of laughter with his songs " The Mosquito" and " Billy Barlow." Major Murray sang " The Watch on the Rhine," and Miss Clark one of the most charming songs of the evening, "Halfmast high." Addresses were given by the Revs. S. J. Weill and Pinfold, after which the concert closed with the National Anthem. Dancing followed, and was kept up till a late hour.
Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 16, June 1972
By REV. J.K. WATSON
‘Te Aroha was proclaimed a Goldfield on 25th November 1880 and a few days later the Rev. J.T. Pinfold, who had just finished his Theological Training was sent there by the Methodist Synod. He travelled all day (16th December) by river steamer from Thames and never forgot the sight of the many candle-lit tents on the mountain. The only "buildings" at that time were O’Halloran’s hotel (where no beds being available, the Parson was given the privilege of dossing down under the publican’s counter for the night!); and the office of the Warden (Mr. H. Kenrick). It was from the door of this office that he preached his first sermon to about 100 men who stood round in the open air. Within a month of arrival he had preached at Paeroa, Waitoa, Piako and Matamata to which places he usually walked - (until he enjoyed the luxury of a horse!)’
[xix] Ohinemuri Regional History Journal 18, June 1974, by Nell Climie.
[xx] Thames Star (Volume XLVI, Issue 10238, p. 2). The story was also published in Northern Advocate, 2 December 1910, Page 5.
APPENDIX 1: LIEUTENANT THOMAS McDONNELL, RN (c. 1788-1864)
On George Stewart O'Halloran’s New Zealand War Medal application, it states that he served under Colonel Thomas McDonnell (1832-1899) in 1867 and 1868. Professor James Bellich has suggested that George’s rapid promotion from Sergeant to Captain may have had as much to do with his Antrim connections rather than his military ability.
Colonel McDonnell was the eldest son of Lieutenant Thomas W. McDonnell, RN. (1788-1864). The parental origin of the elder Thomas McDonnell is unknown although there is at least one claim that he was a younger son of the Earl of Antrim.[i] It is not clear which Earl of Antrim he is supposed to have been a son of; there is no mention of him in Burke’s Peerage or, specifically, in John Lodge’s Peerage of 1789, 3 pages of which can be found in the Images folder.[ii]
If such a claim was true, his father was presumably the 5th or the 6th Earl as the 4th died in 1721. Alexander McDonnell, 5th Earl Antrim, was born in 1713 and was onto his third wife by the time of Thomas’s alleged birth in 1788. The 5th Earl was reputedly only survived by his son, the 6th Earl, and two daughters, but it is possible he sired an illegitimate son.
Randal McDonnell, 6th Earl Antrim, was born in 1749 and married in 1774 to the Hon. Letitia Morres, eldest daughter of the 1st Viscount Mountmorres and a widow of Arthur Trevor, only son of Arthur, Viscount Dugannon. They had three daughters before Letitia’s death in 1801 – the twins Catherine (later Countess of Antrim) and Letitia, born in 1775 (who died in 1797), and Charlotte (also later Countess of Antrim), born in 1779. There is no record of any son although if Thomas was born in 1788, he may have been illegitimate. It is to be noted that in 1785 the 6th Earl secured a new patent, dated 19 June, by which, because he had no male heirs, he was created Viscount Dunluce and Earl of Antrim, ‘with remainder to his daughters primogeniturely and their male issue.’ Moreover, on 18 August 1789, he was advanced to the Marquessate of Antrim, but without any special reversionary grant. There is a suggestion that he was ‘addicted to Drinking’. [iii] When he died in 1791, all his honours ceased except the patent of 1785, which devolved accordingly on his eldest daughter Catherine, Countess of Antrim. Her husband Sir Harry Vane Tempest was a very wealthy man and a large scale entrepreneur who was developing coal mining on his estates in Durham. It is assumed he was responsible for starting up the large-scale quarrying on his wife's county Antrim estates. Sir Harry died in 1812 (circa), leaving a daughter by Lady Antrim, who inherited all his property and [check] money. At length, the 6th Earls grandson Hugh Seymour succeeded as Earl.
EDMUND McDONNELL, HUSBAND OF THE COUNTESS
It’s a long shot but we should leave room for Thomas McDonnell to have been a brother or son of Edmund McDonnell (nee Phelps) who was himself the son of an auctioneer father from Plymouth and a milliner mother. Hector McDonnell writes: ‘In his youth, circa 1805, Phelps, a very talented musician, bettered himself by being a chorister in Birmingham and then founding its music school. He was then given £2000 pounds to get out of the country by a gent whose daughter had fallen in love with him. He spent this money on buying a shipload of musical instruments (pianos organs etc) which he took to the recently acquired colony of British Guiana and made a handsome profit out of them. He also married a native woman and had a son, who later came to visit him at Glenarm ... he then returned to be a musical secretary for an English peer, who fancied himself as a composer, and while employed by him met Lady Antrim, in London, and married her within months. He then made her go back to Glenarm and put his efforts into making the place run financially successfully, which would of course have included looking after the quarries)
In 1813 the lowly Edmund caused a considerable rumpus when he became the second husband of Catherine, Countess of Antrim, after which he took on the surname of McDonnell (by royal sign manual, 27 June 1817) and settled in Glenarm. An article in the Northern Whig from 1844 indicates that George Halloran was a contact for Edmund McDonnell. Edmund and his Countess did not have any known children before her death in 1834; Edmund survived until 1852 when Glenarm passed to the aforementioned Hugh Seymour. The image file includes a number of documents relating to Edmund as well as a file of relevant pages from a book by Anthony Malcolmson called ‘The Pursuit of the Heiress: Aristocratic Marriage in Ireland 1740-1840'.
LORD MARK KERR
Given the nautical career of McDonnell and O’Halloran, it should also be noted that Lord Mark Kerr, husband to Charlotte, Countess of Antrim, was a Royal Navy veteran who fetched up as a Rear Admiral. Malcolmson described him as ‘a landless seaman’. What makes all this particularly relevant is that in 1845 G S Halloran launched the Lady Louisa Kerr, a schooner named after the daughter of Lord Mark Kerr and the Countess of Antrim.
Thomas McDonnell was reputedly born in Antrim in 1788 and commissioned into the Royal Navy as a Midshipman in 1804 or 1805, on the eve of Trafalgar. Oral family history suggests he may have been the illegitimate son of Lord Antrim. His elusive Mid Shipman's Commission, purchased in 1804, should show the name of his sponsor and may shed furtehr light. He apparently served at Walcheren, in the attack on the French fleet in the Basque roads, and in the blockade of American ports. He was appointed a lieutenant on 9 December 1810 (NA. ADM. 196/68/122) on board HMS Valiant, a 74-gun third rate ship of the line, commanded by Captain Robert Dudley Oliver. The ship was involved in the capture of an American brig, the the Letter of Marque Porcupine. Valiant was broken up in 1823.
Dicharged in 1814, McDonnell then commanded a ship for the East India Company, working the Caribbean Trade, which suggests his involvement in slavery or sugar. According to an article by James Belich in the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography (under the entry for his son Thomas McDonnell): "By 1828 he was a merchant and ship owner trading in various goods, including Chinese opium.' A notice in the Belfast Newsletter of 15 April 1828 shows that Captain McDonnell was sailing for Jamaica in a brig called John Echlin, and that interested parties were to apply to George S and Richard Halloran in Belfast. Similarly, in April 1832, the Halloran brothers of 39, Donegall Quay, Belfast, were the people to consult if interested in sending freight or passengers on the brig Adventure, bound for Jamaica via Antigua under Captain William Wilson.
By January 1831 Thomas McDonnell had enough money to purchase the Sir George Murray, a 392 ton barque built in Horeke for STG£1300 at an auction in Sydney. According to an article entitled 'First Commercial Shipyard in Horeke’ on hokianga.net.nz: "McDonnell fitted out the barque, and on 30 March 1831, with his family, servants, and a number of settlers, sailed for Hokianga. A "register" supposedly issued to him later that year by the Hokianga chiefs Patuone and Te Taonui stated that the vessel was "three hundred and ninety two 64/94 Tons English measurement", with two decks and three masts, 109 ft in length and 28 ft 8 in. in breadth, barque rigged, with a standing bowsprit, square sterned, carvel built, no galleries, and a scroll figurehead. Sir George Murray was [also] rumoured to be sailing under a foreign flag.” When he sailed Sir George Murray into Sydney from Hokianga with a cargo of timber and flax in August 1831, he also apparently carried ‘several specimens of silver and copper ore’.
McDonnell also bought the Horeke Shipyard, a trading, timber-milling, and shipbuilding establishment by Hokianga Harbour, where he had reportedly ‘discovered a mine of Cobalt’ by 1831. In 1833 he bought the American schooner Chinchilla. Did he make this money by trading opium and such like, or was he perhaps supported by other investors? As Stuart Park observed in an email in January 2016, 'Ruth Ross (Encycl. NZ 1966) indicates he arrived with ‘a party of settlers,’ as well as his family and servants, so there may well have been the lure of cheap land held out to fellow speculators.' The notion that he was perhaps financed by the wealthy McDonnell kinsmen in Ireland has been vetoed by the McDonnell Family in Glenarm (Earls of Antrim) who state that he received no money from them as at that time as, in 1830, all of their funds were tied up in developing their lime works and other properties in Glenarm. See also https://sites.google.com/site/pre1839settlersinnz/home/more-details-3/thomas-mcdonnell for further details on McDonnell.
According to hokianga.net.nz: ‘In 1833 [Sir George Murray] obtained an East India Company clearance at Macao, and this was endorsed in 1836. Her subsequent fate is unknown.
Several small craft may have been built at Horeke during McDonnell's reign, but the name of only one has survived, the 35-ton schooner Tui.” In "Early Pacific Ships and Personalities", Brian Hooker writes, ‘Thomas McDonnell (1788-1864) owned the Tui but it is unlikely that he sailed in the schooner further than northern parts of the North Island. Perhaps McDonnell investigated as far as the area of the entrance of the Mokau River, which he named "Tui Bay" in the chart he compiled for James Wyld I at London, in 1834. McDonnell, a former lieutenant in the Royal Navy purchased a shipbuilding yard at Horeke, Hokianga, in 1831. He is often credited with having visited many parts of New Zealand but his highly inaccurate chart suggests the improbability of his having done this.’
Returning to hokianga.net.nz: “McDonnell was a keen horticulturist and among his other introductions to New Zealand was the Norfolk Island pine, the well known trees at Waitangi and Te Wahapu in the Bay of Islands being the sole survivors of a box of seedlings given by him to Mrs Mair in 1836 or 1837. The large pine in front of the Horeke hall was probably planted about the same time, in what was then McDonnell's garden."
McDonnell's timber-trading business at Horeke is regarded as the first industrial site in New Zealand and duly became known as "the Deptford of the South". He returned to New Zealand in late 1834 or early 1835 with the honorary appointment as Additional British Resident but resigned within a year after frequent arguments with the main British Resident, James Busby.
Returning to hokianga.net.nz: “During his stormy 12 months (1835-36) as honorary Additional British Resident, McDonnell sailed in the Tui to Kaipara, a voyage which he claimed opened that harbour to European shipping. McDonnell was primarily a timber trader, and throughout the 1830s Te Horeke - to give it its correct name - was the principal trading establishment on the Hokianga, until the house on the hill, originally built for Clark, then occupied by Gordon Browne and afterwards McDonnell's home for over 10 years, was burnt down in 1842.”
He was closely involved in mapping New Zealand at this time - as per records in National Archives - but apparently his maps came in for criticism for being inaccurate and causing shipwrecks. [iv.a]
The Bay of Islands NZ Gazette & Wellington Spectator (12 November 1842) described the fire: ‘ ... It is with much regret we announce the total destruction of Captain M'Donald's dwelling-house at the Hourake, Hokianga.[iv] The fire was not discovered in time to save the slightest vestige of the building, or the valuable property which it contained.’ Among the documents destroyed are thought to have been McDonnell's Maori deeds of sale. See Auckland Museum records on Thomas McDonnell papers.
On 4 October 1846, Thomas McDonnell’s wife had a baby girl, thought to have been Clementine McDonnell.[v] He also appears to have had a son Alexander Francis McDonnell who became a bookseller in Auckland and is thought to be the same as Tamatea Meeke Tanera, Kai Ta me te Kai Panui hoki, Free Press Printery, 355 Queen Street Auckland. A biographical note from the Auckland War Memorial Museum quotes a news report from the Evening Post (Volume CXXVI, Issue 22, 26 July 1938, Page 13) which stated: "Mr. Alexander Francis McDonnell has died in Wanganui; of injuries received when he was knocked down by a motor vehicle. Mr. McDonnell was a son of the late Colonel T. W. McDonnell, who played a prominent part in the Maori wars along the west coast After his mother died he was taken to live with a Maori family in the Waikato and stayed with them until he was 18 years of age. Because of his youth with the Maoris he was perhaps one of the greatest European authorities on the race in New Zealand. In "his younger days Mr. McDonnell was private secretary to the Hon. Hori Kerei Taiaroa, M.L.C., a prominent Otago chief,, and later married his daughter. He went to Wanganui from the Hawke's Bay, district about eight years ago and entered business as an interpreter and. adviser to the Maori people. He was recently elected chairman of the Maori Welfare League.
Under pressure from Maori and other settlers in the Hokianga, he moved to the Whangarei District in 1858. He died on 13 September 1864 at the Pa near Onehunga, Auckland, following injuries sustained when he was thrown from his horse in the Khyber Pass Road.[vi]
See also 'An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand' (1966), edited by A. H. McLintock.
FOOTNOTES TO APPENDIX
[i] "Pioneer Land Surveyors of New Zealand" by C A Lawn (New Zealand Institute of Surveyors), via this link.
[ii] John Lodge, Mervyn Archdall,The peerage of Ireland: or, A genealogical history of the present nobility of that kingdom, Volume 1 (J. Moore, 1789), via this link.
[iii] See notes handwritten at foot of page 214 in John Lodge, Mervyn Archdall,The peerage of Ireland: or, A genealogical history of the present nobility of that kingdom, Volume 1 (J. Moore, 1789), via this link.
[iv] Interestingly, McDonnell was often referred to as 'McDonald or M'Donnell while 'Horeke' is also variously referred to as 'Hourake or 'Te Horeke'.
[iv.a] See http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/58544a4c-4527-4e97-8a20-0cdb2da50a85 or http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C6743951 or http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3477406
-New Zealander 24th October 1846. On the 4th instant at the Horeke, Hokianga, the wife of Thos. McDonnell Esq.,of a daughter.
Editor's note this is possibly Clementine McDonnell.
[vi] THOMAS MCDONNELL - ACCIDENT ONEHUNGA
Southern Cross 8th September 1864
(Noted in the 1966 Encyclopedia of NZ Died of injuries 13th September 1864) ......A very serious accident happened to Captain McDonnell, of the Pa, near Onehunga, a few days ago. He was riding homewards from Auckland, and when in the Khyber Pass Road, his horse threw him and he suffered some very severe injuries.