'Dublin Docklands - An Urban Voyage’ is a work in progress, commissioned by the Dublin Docklands Development Authority, and due to be completed in the autumn of 2008. The following tale represents research I have undertaken for the project which may or may not be used in the final book.
Amiens Street: Named for the Viscount Amiens, the title created in 1777 for the eldest son and heir of the 1st Earl of Aldborough. Their family home stood on nearby Portland Row close to the Five Lamps.
Beresford Place: Named for the Right Hon. John Beresford, 1st Commissioner of the Irish Revenue, who conceived both the Custom House and Carlisle (now O’Connell) Bridge.
Buckingham Street: Named for George Grenville, Marquis of Buckingham, who, having created the Order of St Patrick, went on to become one of the least popular of Ireland’s Georgian Viceroys.
Butt Bridge: Named for Sir Isaac Butt, the Donegal barrister who founded the Irish Home Rule movement.
Foley Street: Formerly known as World’s End Lane, this was renamed named Montgomery Street in 1776 after one of the Montgomery sisters, Elizabeth (wife of Luke Gardiner) or Barbara (wife of John Beresford). It subsequently became home to the sculptors Edward Smyth and John Henry Foley, creator of the O’Connell Monument, for whom the street was renamed in 1908. As ‘The Monto’ this was a notorious haven for prostitution in Victorian times.
George’s Dock: Named for George IV who was scheduled to officially open the dock in 1821 but failed to show up on the day.
Inner Dock: The dock beside George’s Dock was originally named Revenue Dock after the Commissioners of Revenue who paid for its construction.
James Joyce Street: Named for the famous Dubliner, author of Ulysses and other works.
Killarney Street: Formerly Gloucester Steer, the reason for this name is unknown at present.
Memorial Road: Constructed on land formerly occupied by the Old Dock, this was named in memory of those members of the Dublin Brigade of the Irish Republican Army who gave their lives during the War of Independence.
Portland Row: Named for William Henry Cavendish Bentinck, 3rd Duke of Portland, who relinquished the post of Viceroy to become Prime Minister of Great Britain in 1783.
Store Street: Named for the Custom House stores and warehouses built here in conjunction with the Custom House itself in the 1780s.
North Strand: This approximately marked the high-water tidal shoreline of the Liffey estuary until reclaimed by the construction of the North Wall in the early 18th century.
Talbot Memorial Bridge: Named in memory of both the Venerable Matt Talbot and those members of the Dublin Brigade killed in the War of Independence.
Talbot Street: Named for Charles Chetwynd, 2nd Earl Talbot, who disembarked at the Pigeonhouse in 1817 to take up duties as Viceroy. He left in 1821, spending the remainder of his life at the family home of Alton Towers in England.