'Dublin Docklands - An Urban Voyage’ was commissioned by the Dublin Docklands Development Authority, and published in 2009. The following tale represents research undertaken for the project which may or may not have been used in the final book.
The founding father of the Dublin Docklands was Sir John Rogerson, a wealthy Dutch-born English merchant, ship-owner, property developer and sometime Lord Mayor of Dublin. Those who knew him described him as ‘an Original’ and yet remarkably little has yet been published about the man. He received no mention in The Oxford Companion to Irish History (2007). Indeed, if it were not for the unexpected evolution of the Docklands since 1987, there is every chance that all trace of Sir John would have disappeared into the murky past from which he appeared to have emerged.
For a long time, we did not even know who his father was. And then in January 2014, I was contacted by a man called Barnaby Rogerson who told me Sir John hailed from Suffolk. Mr Rogerson wrote: "Family tradition has it that Sir John Rogerson's father was Francis Rogerson, who died penniless whilst in exile with the future Charles II in the Netherlands. This Franics was one of the five sons of Rev Thomas Rogerson, Rector of Monks Soham, who was ejected during the Commonwealth. One of the other sons, Robert Rogerson became Rector of Denton at the Restoration, married to Barbara Gooch. His sons tomb uses the same coat of arms that John Rogerson registered in Dublin. If this is all true, and I was told it by the sister of Colonel Sidney Rogerson, when only a boy, there are surviving (if distant) kinsmen."
Above: Extract from 'The Puritans in Power' by Geoffrey Bulmer Tatham, p. 71.
The Rev. Thomas Rogerson appears to have been born in the latter days of Queen Elizabeth. His father was John Rogerson, clerk, Vicar of Honingham, Norfolk, and he had a brother, Christopher Rogerson, who served as curate of Notley, Essex, before succeeding John as Vicar of Honingham. (Both John and Christopher have entries in the Gonville & Caius history).
Thomas Rogerson was edcuated at Wymondham School under Mr. Eston for one year and was admitted to Gonville & Caius College aged 15 on 3rd July 1611, 'sizar of his surety, Mr. Thomas Thwayts, fellow'. He obtained a BA (1614-15) and an MA (1618) before being ordained a priest on Christmas Eve 1615. From 1620 right through until 1662, he was Curate of Norton Subcourse. In 1631, he became Rector of Monk Soham where he remained until sequestered in 1642. In the book 'Two Suffolk Friends' (William Blackwood & Sons, 1895) by Francis Hindes Groome, the author writes: "A former Rector, Thomas Rogerson, was sequestrated as a royalist in 1642, and next year his wife and children were turned out of doors by the Puritans. “After which,” Walker tells us, “Mr Rogerson lived with a Country-man in a very mean Cottage upon a Heath, for some years, and in a very low and miserable Condition.” Further details of his sequestration, and the parish efforts to get him back, can be seen in the accompanying text from Geoffrey Bulmer Tatham's study, 'The Puritans in Power: A Study in the History of the English Church from 1640 to 1660'. On the petition of his wife Margaret, the fifths were assigned to her on 29th May 1647.
The Rev. Robert Rogerson, uncle of Sir John, has an entry in the Gonville & Caius history also, and was Rector of Denton (1659-1714) and married Barbara Gooch, daughter of William Gooch of Mettingham, Suffolk. Barbara was the aunt of the charming and brave soldier-administrator Sir William Gooch (Lt-Gov of Virginia) and his disreuptable younger brother, Rev. Sir Thomas Gooch (a notorious pluralist who had three wives and became Bishop of Norwich, Bristol and Ely, as well as becoming 2nd baronet-heir to his brother).
The Rev. Robertson had intended to make his son Rev. Thomas Rogerson heir to the living he had augmented at Denton (with the gift of additional farms) but the two men rowed when Thomas emerged as a principled recusant. The Rev. Robertson thus ended up passing the living at Denton on to the Rev Mathew Postlethwaite, husband of his daughter Elizabeth Rogerson, who passed it on to his own rather dubious son John Postlethwaite.
The eldest of the Rev. Robert Rogerson's sons was Robert Rogerson who went into the Navy and became a clerk to Lord Forbes. He married 'locally' in portsmouth and his children emigrated to America, where they multiplied. The Rev. Robert Rogerson's younger son was the more solid William Rogerson (1659-1720), a farmer on the Suffolk-Norfolk border from whom most of the Suffolk, London and Sussex based Rogersons are descended. For all that, This information courtesy of Barnaby Rogerson.
Sir John Rogerson is thought to have been born in Holland circa 1648, while his father was in exile there. He subsequently settled in London where, as a merchant, he was apparently as well known on Lombard Street as he later was in the Dublin Tholsel, so perhaps he was raised as a Londoner.
He was certainly living in Dublin by 1674 when listed as one of the first parishioners to attend the new church of St Andrew’s, just off Dame Street. Among the other parishioners were Sir John Temple (a barrister, later Speaker of the Irish House of Commons) and Sir Maurice Eustace (Lord Chancellor), for whom Temple Bar and Eustace Street were named. The young Rogerson must have also taken a keen interest in what St. Andrew’s parishioner Major Henry Aston had to say in regard to his actions, circa 1680, in reclaiming and developing the river around present day Aston quay These men represent the new Dublin elite in the late 17th century.
During the latter days of Charles II’s reign, John Rogerson emerged as one of the leading Aldermen in Dublin’s Assembly, the group charged with overseeing the City’s trade – matters like weights and measures and shipping schedules. Members of the Assembly were elected by the City’s freemen who themselves all belonged to the trade guilds. The Assembly met once every quarter and consisted of the Lord Mayor, two Sheriffs, 24 Aldermen, 48 Sheriffs’ Peers and 96 Commoners.
In 1684, Alderman John Rogerson was one of the winning contestants in the ill-fated North Lotts project of 1682. The North Lotts comprised an approximate rectangle bounded on the south by the present day Custom House and North Wall Quays, on the east by a line from where the East Link Toll Bridge runs and to the north by the North Strand, Fairview and part of the Clontarf Road. Under the direction of Lord Mayor Sir Humphrey Jervis, the City Assembly had the area surveyed and then divided into 152 lots. The idea was to host a lottery for Assembly members and other select officials – with each lot up as an award. It was not unlike Zimbabwe in 2000 when Robert Mugabe won the State lottery. However, nothing is ever that easy. One of the conditions of the award was that the winner had to guarantee the protection of his lot against flooding. At the time, the area of the North Lotts was frequently flooded at high tide so this was a big ask. The project proceeded uncertainly but, by 1686, it was apparent that the scheme was a flop. The land grants were too complex and the idea of individual landowners protecting individual lots was a non-runner. The 1682 North Lotts project was declared null and abandoned.
In 1693, the Assembly selected Rogerson to succeed Sir Michael Mitchell as Lord Mayor of Dublin. This was the year in which the Amish were founded, the dodo became extinct and, while Ireland had been subjugated since the defeat of the Jacobites at the Boyne in 1689, the Williamite Wars continued to rage in Europe. Sir John seems to have had a hand in the running of the King’s Hospital secondary school in Dublin at about this time. His tenure as Lord Mayor lasted from Michaelmas 1693 to 29 September 1694, aka the civic year.
On June 12th 1693, he was knighted by Henry, Viscount Sydney, Lord Deputy of Ireland. The following year, Sydney was created Earl of Romney. Curiously these two men appear together again in 1698 when Rogerson secured the northern suburbs of the City of Cork with Romney owning the lands on the south. It seems these lands had been appropriated by the Council and a ‘Captain Conelie, the ingineer’ commissioned to build a barracks. On 7th September, Conelie was given an indemnity ‘against my Lord Rumney and Sir John Rogerson and all other person that shall trouble or molest him on account of the same’. Romeny was the author of the original letter inviting King Billy to take the throne, for which he was created Viscount Sydney and later Earl of Romney. He would later lose favour in the Court of Queen Anne and died aged 63 ‘a proud but drunken man’ in April 1704.
In 1694, Dublin’s outgoing Lord Mayor, Sir John Rogerson, was given a lease of land in the vicinity of the Council Chamber near the mouth of the Poddle. One imagines Sir John was the sort of man who had followed this small river right up to its source in Cookstown, above Tallaght, down through Kimmage and Harold’s Cross to its arrival at the Liffey. He also doubtless noted the ingenious way in which a previous owner of the Poddle by name of Jacob Newman had reclaimed the Poddle estuary north of Dame Street. Newman was a land speculator, perhaps the earliest in the history of Dublin. People had been reclaiming land from the rivers since Viking times but never on the same scale as that undertaken by Newman. A far-seeing man, Newman realized reclamation was the way forward. He gradually purchased the lands along the Poddle and began filling them in with rocks (etc, from where). Between 1606 and 1620, Newman reclaimed sufficient land from the river to create some 2.5 hectares of land in the heart of the young city, including modern day Parliament Street, Essex Street, Wellington Quay, the old Custom House Quay and parts of Temple Bar. Newman died in 1634. Three years later, Dublin’s merchants were tumbling over themselves to impress his widow, Rose Newman, and so perhaps gain a site to set up new customs facilities and goods-handling depots. Rose was a daughter of James Barry, a merchant who had been Alderman and Sheriff of Dublin during the reign of Queen Elizabeth. By 1673, the reclamation of the south side of the river had reached Hawkins Street.
Little is known of Rogerson’s activities between 1694 and 1713, save for his brief ownership of the north Cork riverside and the acquisition of the Poddle mouth. He was appointed Sheriff of Dublin from 1707-8, serving under Lord Mayor John Pearson.
In 1713, Dublin Corporation leased Sir John Rogerson and his heirs the fee farm estate rights to approximately 133 acres of slob land on the south bank of the Liffey channel, otherwise referred to as ‘the Strand betwixt Lazy Hill and Ringsend’. Also known as ‘Rogerson’s Ground’, this grant contained all the land bounded by the Liffey, the Dodder and modern Bath Avenue, including Grand Canal Street, Denzille Street, Sandwith Street and Creighton Street. There was also a narrow strip of land just east of the Dodder, bounded by the spit of Ringsend. In July 1713, he gave notice of his intention to ‘very speedily take the Strand’. The City’s main concern was that the quay be located sufficiently far back to widen the channel. (1713 was the era of Lord Mayors Sir Samuel Cooke and Sir James Barlow). A committee was appointed in 1717 ‘to see the said Strand staked out between the anchorsmiths shop and Ringsend point’. The mighty project commenced in 1716. Part of the project involved the construction of a river wall from the bridge at Ringsend to a point near Creighton Street. This is known today as Sir John Rogerson’s Quay. To achieve this, they built two walls – one facing the river and a second back wall behind it, then filled the space between with rocks, gravel and sand dredged from the river. The dredging simultaneously deepened that part of the river channel. The river material did not come free – Rogerson paid the City three-pence per ton for it. When the going rate for dredge material fell in 1720, he was granted a reduction of cost to two-pence a ton. As J.W. de Courcy notes, ‘the project was the largest and possibly most significant privately funded development project in the history of the Liffey’.
In 1712, shortly before Sir John Rogerson secured his riverside property, the ground immediately west of his came under the control of John Mercer. This ‘parcell of the Strand’ encompassed an area now bordered by Townsend Street and Poolbeg Street. Its original grantee, Philip Croft, had planned to build a quay here but, while attending to other business in England, some rapscallions appear to have nabbed ‘many boat loads of stone’ from his land which were carried away to make malthouses in Wicklow. Mercer duly took up the baton, planning a river wall of 100 perches (or 700 yards) long that would have run right up to Rogerson’s Quay. It was to include arched openings leading to his own private wharf, Mercer’s Dock, and two existing wharves along Lazar’s Hill at Nichol’s Quay and Crosse’s Quay. Work began in 1713 but ill-health seems to have put paid to Mercer’s ambitions and he died in 1718. The City took over the construction of the wall while his dock passed to his widow, Grace Mercer. In 1741, she and Luke Gardiner were awarded a lease for ever of the George’s Quay property, including the proposed site of Mercer’s Dock.
In order to build his Quay, Sir John Rogerson ordered a large quantity of stones John Vernon of Clontarf. However, Vernon seems to have messed up the order and, as well as the desired large stones, he delivered a considerable quantity of undersized stones. These were dumped in the river just off the Quay. Rogerson requested Vernon remove them. Vernon declined. The Ballast Office were concerned that these stones were proving ‘a great nuisance’ to every ship and gabbard that passed . The matter went before the City Assembly. On April 9th 1716, Thomas Marlay (later Chief Justice) delivered his diplomatic opinion that the City should remove these stones at their own cost.
The first building on Rogerson’s Quay was, appropriately enough, a pub. The Fountain Tavern is said to have been built in 1718. This is not to be confused with a pub of the same name near Christ Church referred to by Dean Swift in the 1730s, or the Fountain Tavern in London that dictionary guru Dr Johnson used to frequent. That said, I can find no further reference to The Fountain anywhere but de Courcy's book. According to its own website, The Ferryman comprises two listed Georgian buildings and claims to date to the 1780's when owned by Lord Cardiff.
It is not known if or when Sir John ever felt compelled to smash open a bottle of champagne and celebrate the opening of his Quay. One suspects a few lively nights down at The Fountain. It was almost certainly finished by the time he passed away in 1724. When Brooking etched his map of Dublin four years later, he indicated that the Quay was complete, but his description of the Quay’s eastern end was unquestionably vague. Perhaps this was due to a change of plan, by which the new wall turned suddenly at a right angle right where the River Dodder meets the Liffey, running along the Dodder to the bridge at Ringsend. This short section was presumably reconstructed when the entry lock system for the Grand Canal Docks was built in 1795.
Rather like the present-day Ocean Bar, The Fountain Tavern may have had to wait a while before it had any seriously regular customers. Rogerson’s Quay was not an immediate success. Skeptics derided the commercial value of the land behind the Quay, which was prone to flooding in severe storms. Gabrielli Ricciardelli’s 1759 painting of a ‘A View of Dublin from the Sea’ depicts Rogerson Quay as a roughly surfaced strip dotted with people and horses. The land behind it consists of water-logged marshlands and a meadow of haystacks. On 28th January 1792, the Dublin Chronicle reported that: 'His Grace, the Duke of Leinster, went on a sea party, and after shooting the breach in the south wall, sailed over the low ground in the south lots ad landed safely at Merrion Square’. This came about when part of the wall collapsed, allowing ‘a dreadful torrent’ to break through into ‘the lower grounds, inundating every quarter on the same level as far as Artichoke Road’. Communication with Ringsend and Irishtown came to a halt; ‘the inhabitants are obliged to go to and fro in boats’.
Walking along Rogerson’s Quay’s today, one can see two riverine heads poking out of a brick wall. [Where exactly!] These heads, salvaged from Carlisle Bridge, mark the original site of the Hibernian Marine Society’s School ‘for the Children of Decayed Seamen’. Also known as the Marine Nursery, this was amongst the earliest buildings to arrive on the Quay, built between 1770 and 1773 and said to have been designed by either Thomas Cooley or Thomas Ivory. It was located between Cardiff’s Lane and Lime Street, with the foot road to Ringsend running directly alongside it. The School was a hefty structure, all stone – 300 feet at front and back, 547 feet on the west, 633 feet at the east. The expense of the building amounted to £6,600 and was paid for by the Irish Parliament. The grant-aided Hibernian Marine School was designed to educate and maintain up to 160 boys, the sons of sea-farers who lost their lives or became otherwise impoverished while serving with the Royal Navy or Merchant Navy. Once admitted they were given a nautical uniform and taught reading, writing, arithmetic and navigation. At the age of 14, these boys were then apprenticed to masters of merchant vessels or sent on board Royal Navy ships. James Malton’s drawing of the school from 1796 shows the Quay at low-tide. A boat is under construction in Matthew Cardiff’s shipyard next door. A coach is arriving in from the city and a lone horseman surveys all. Men are at work hauling in a raft and a couple of boats are resting on a sandbank. Perhaps Malton caught the Quay on a quiet day but it would seem that business was by no means booming in 1796. The number of pupils peaked at 120 in 1799 with a low of just 15 in 1845. Much of the building was destroyed by fire in 1872 and the school was relocated to Merrion Street and ultimately became the present-day Mount Temple Comprehensive School in Clontarf. The original building became a commercial premises but gradually disappeared. 
Hammond states that the Marine School was flanked on the east by one of Cardiff’s shipyards and on the west by Burnett’s Marine Hotel. He also mentions Williamson and Lloyd’s rope-works as being nearby. Cardiff’s yard seems to have been the most easterly limit of the Quay before the Grand Canal Docks opened in 1796. Neither Faden’s map of 1797 nor Bligh’s surveys of 1800 – 1803 indicate any major development along the Quay by this stage.
Sir John apparently represented both the City of Dublin and the borough of Clogher in the Irish Parliament but I have not yet confirmed this.
Sir John Rogerson’s first wife Elizabeth was the youngest daughter of Emmanuel Proby of St. Gregory, London. Her grandfather, Sir Peter Proby, was Lord Mayor of London in 1622, while her uncle Sir Heneage Proby was sometime MP of Buckingham. Her mother Mary was the daughter of London merchant John Bland. Their country residence was ‘The Glen’ or ‘Glasnevin House’ located just outside the village of Glasnevin. Rogerson also built the village church and allegedly made a few pennies from the tithes.
After Elizabeth's death, apparently from tuberculosis, John was married secondly circa 1696 to another Elizabeth. His new wife was Elizabeth Ward, daughter of John Ward (1611-1657) and Elizabeth Vincent (1628-1688). She died in 1726, two years after him. [11b]
There is a suggestion that John Rogerson may have suffered a double calamity in his final years. It is believed that his son William Rogerson of Peter Street / St. Werburgh's Church died of a fever on 3rd February 1721 and that Willam's infant son, also William, died on 12 May 1723. William's widow Alice (nee Mullineux / Molyneaux) was married secondly in 1723 to Sir Richard Wolseley (1696-1769) of Mount Wolseley, County Carlow. These facts may be muddled so if anyone has further clues, do please let me know.
We know Sir John had at least two more sons - John, who succeeded him and became Chief Justice of Ireland, and Richard Rogerson. The latter was born in London and educated in Dublin by various teachers for three years, before spending four years at Eton under Mr. Newborough. At the age of 16, he was admitted to Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge, as a pensioner to the bachelor's table on 15th April 1704, under the tutealge of Mr. Hawys. He was admitted at the Middle Temple on 3rd January 1703.
Sir John Rogerson died in 1724 and was succeeded by his eldest [surviving?] son and namesake who would become the Right Hon John Rogerson, serving as Chief Justice of Ireland from 1727 until his death on 24 August 1741.
John was born in Dublin and privately educated at home for a year and a half under Mr. Bondelaney, and later in London for four years under Mr. Bonwicke. He was 'admitted pensioner to the bachelors table' at Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge, on 22nd October 1690, with surety by Mr. Ellys. His great-grandfather had studied at the same college in the reign of James I. Admitted at the Middle Temple in June 1690, John was called to the Bar in either 1699 or 1702. He went on to become Solicitor General of Ireland in 1714 and Recorder of Dublin in the same year. He was appointed Attorney General in 1720 and Chief Justice of the King’s Bench in 1727. See his reference at Cambridge here.
John de Courcy could find no reference to his involvement in his fathers work. He married Elizabeth Ludlow, daughter of Stephen Ludlow and aunt of the 1st Earl Ludlow.
Justice Rogerson was among three judges to succumb to fever in 1740, the others being Prime Serjeant Bettesworth and Chief Baron Wainwright. He left one son, also John Rogerson, who died unmarried, and at least four daughters, Elizabeth, Hannah, Frances and Arabella.
I believe Justice Rogerson’s only son, John Rogerson, later moved to County Carlow and settled at Bettyville, Rathvilly, Co. Carlow. This may have been connected to the Wolseley marriage aluded to above.
It is curious for me that George Villiers Halpin, a son of the Dublin Docklands engineer George Halpin, was married to Anne Malone of Rathmore, near Rathvilly, and that their eldest son William Oswald Halpin married Anna Maria Burgess of Tobinstown, near Rathvilly. Rathvilly also happens to be my home village today.
Bettyville was the home of Benjamin Disraeli, uncle and namesake of the Prime Minister, in 1810. This John Rogerson is mentioned in 'The History and Antiquities of the County of Carlow' by John Ryan:
Here lieth the body of John Rogerson, late of Bettyville, in the county of Carlow, Esq, who departed this life on Sunday May the 8th anno domini 1785 aged 66 years. Possessed of a noble fortune he did not dissipate it in luxury or extravagance but during his lifetime expended the greatest part of his income in acts of most extensive charity and munificence. Dying unmarried and not having any near relations who had a natural claim upon him, he bequeathed £4,000 to the different charitable foundations in the city of Dublin and the residue of his estates to that very patriotick and extended charily, the Protestant charter schools of Ireland. Resolved that in his death the orphan and the poor should not feel the loss of so liberal a benefactor.
Barnably Rogerson writes: 'I remember hearing that John Rogerson was a charming but feckless rake, who [Sir John, his grandfather] provided for but effectively disinherited in favour of his daughters. I love the idea that the reprobate survived his sins and got religion as an old man and set up a charity in his will, rather than favour his many, many nieces and nephews.'
The bulk of Judge Rogerson’s considerable wealth passed to his eldest daughter, Elizabeth Rogerson. This included Rogerson's Quay and property in Great Denmark Street. At the time of her father’s death, Elizabeth was twelve years married to Abraham Crichton - or Creighton, subsequently 1st Baron Erne of Crom Castle, son of Maj.-Gen. David Crichton and Katherine Southwell. Her dowry had been worth £5000 but was considerably enhanced by this inheritance.
The Creighton name is recalled in Creighton Street, connecting City Quay and Hanover Street East, although it is not named on Brooking’s map of 1728 or Rocque’s map of 1773. Elizabeth died on 6 August 1761, leaving three children - Abraham Crichton (d. 29 Aug 1810), John Crichton, 1st Earl Erne of Crom Castle (1731 – 1828) and Charlotte Crichton (1738 – 1819). The 1st Earl Erne had his Dublin town house in Great Denmark Street, and died there in 1828, after which it was sold.
By 1796, Rogerson’s estate ‘immediately within [Rogerson’s] wall’ was in the possession of Luke Gardiner and representatives of the late Richard Benson. The Rogerson’s remaining Dublin properties continued to be in the possession of the Erne family, and continue to be recorded in the papers, until the 1940s.
Hannah Rogerson married A. Jephson, MP. I know no more.
Arabella Rogerson, the third daughter, was married firstly to Colonel William Causabon of Carriglemleary, or Gethin's Grot, near Mallow, Co. Cork, High Sheriff of Cork (1723) and MP for Doneraile (1715-1727). Descended from a Huguenot family settled in Youghal, Co. Cork, since the 1680s, his father William Causabon had married Sarah, daughter of Arthur Hyde, MP, and was attainted by James II's Parliament. The elder Causabon subsequently purchased some of the forfeited estate of Pierce Nagle in the barony of Fermoy in 1703. William and Arabella Causabon had issue:
1) Arabella Causabon married 19th October, 1715, George Purdon, of Tinerana, Killaloe, Co. Clare, and Woodfort, County Cork, M.P. for Clare (1725 and 1727). "The Purdons were active in the affairs of Limerick city but lived in the parish of Ogonnelloe, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare, from the mid 17th century to the beginning of the 20th century. Lewis writes in 1837 that, with the exception of 97 acres, the whole parish was in their possession. In the 1850s they held 16 townlands in the parish. George F. Purdon of Tinerana owened 6,298 acres in county Clare in the 1870s. George and Arabella's only son, William Casaubon Purdon, died unmarried in 1893 and the estate was inherited by his two sisters who sold it to the Gleeson family in 1901. A cousin, Reverend William John Purdon of Kingstown, Dublin, held five townlands in each of the parishes of Kilfinaghta and Kilfintinan, barony of Bunratty Lower at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He had two daughters, Emily Jane and Anna Maria. Over 500 acres located in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Limerick, in the possession of Reverend John Head and Simon G. Purdon, were sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1853. Mr. McDermott is reported to have purchased the property in trust for over £12,000.
2) Catherine Causabon married Richard Newman, Sheriff of County Cork, 1737 - either Richard Newman or Colonel Causabon had been previously married to 'a daughter of Gore of Derrymore' ("Journal," p. 230, 1895, "Cork M.P.'s," by C. M. Tenison).
In 1746, Arabella was married secondly to Sir James Cotter, 1st Bt., son of James Cotter and Margaret Mathew. Sir James was MP for Askeaton. With Bonnie Prince Charlie on the loose, there must have been some curious toasts going on at the Cotter-Rogerson wedding; Sir James's father, James Cotter of Annsgrove, Co Cork, was executed on 7 May 1720 at age 30, as a Jacobite. Sir James and Arabella had four sons – the Rev George Sackville Cotter (d. 1831); Rogerson Cotter; Sir James Laurence Cotter, 2nd Bt (1748 – 1829) and Edmund Cotter (1749 – 1770).
Frances Rogerson married Robert Leslie of Glaslough and was mother to Charles Powell Leslie. See the Castle Leslie website for more on this.
Thanks to Michael Purcell, John de Courcy, Niamh Moore, Dr. Mary Clark (City Archivist, Dublin City Archives), Lou Rogerson-Howard, Barnaby Rogerson and others.
 The Antiquary, Jan 1880, E. Stock, p. 177 – 179, a letter by Lady Bellasys in 1712.
 This was built on the site of the subsequent Gothic structure o St. Andrew’s Church, where Dublin Tourism are headquartered. The church-land was formerly an ‘old bowling green’ given by the Earl of Meath.
 A history of the city of Dublin, John Thomas Gilbert
 Rogerson was succeeded as Lord Mayor by George Blackhall.
 'The Foundation of the Hospital and Free School of King Charles II’, Frederick Richard Falkiner (1906), p. 112, 115, 123.
 Journal of the Very Rev. Rowland Davies, LL.D. Dean of Ross, (and afterwards Dean of Cork,) from March 8, 1688-9, to September 29, 1690 By Rowland Davies, Richard Caulfield. (1857, Camden Society, p. 169)
 The Quay is sometimes known as John’s Quay but for the purposes of this book it is Rogerson’s Quay.
 Dublin City Assembly Rolls - Extracts from the Calendar of the Ancient Records of Dublin 1716, Roll XIXm.36b.
 ‘The Beauties of Ireland Being Original Delineations, Topographical, Historical, and Biographical, of Each County’ (1825), p. 164.
 Sir Peter Proby was also a forbear of the Earls of Carysfort who owned Glenart Castle in Co Wicklow.
 Richard Mant’s ‘History of the Church of Ireland’ (1840), p. 350.
[11b] Thanks to Lou Rogerson-Howard for the following:
Warde, John (c.1611-57), of Tanshelf. Third son of Thomas Warde (d. 1635) and his wife Elizabeth. A leader of the Parliamentary party in Pontefract and a commander in the siege of Pontefract Castle. He married Elizabeth (1628-69), daughter of Thomas Vincent of Barnborough Grange and had issue:
(1) Sir John Warde (1650-1725/6), kt. of Clay Hill, Epsom (Surrey); assisted his nephew, Patience Warde (b. 1680) with the purchase of the Hooton Pagnell estate in 1704; MP for Bletchingley, 1705; London, 1708, 1715 and Dunwich, 1722; Lord Mayor of London, 1718-19; a Director of the Bank of England; knighted 1714; married 17 April 1684, Mary (d. 1726), daughter of Sir William Bucknall of Oxhey (Herts) and had issue from whom descend the Warde family of Squerryes Court (Kent); died 10/12 March 1725/6 and was buried at St Mary Abchurch, London; will proved 29 March 1726 in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury;
(2) Thomas Warde (c.1652-92) (q.v.);
(3) Elizabeth Warde (fl. 1657-1726), m. before 1696, Sir John Rogerson (d. 1724), kt., of Dublin;
(4) Susanna Warde (fl. 1657-96); probably died unmarried.
He died 15 August 1657; will proved 26 November 1657.
 In Dublin, 1660-1860 by Maurice James Craig, he erroneously describes the founder of the Quay as the same man who became Chief Justice. Sir John’s younger son William Rogerson died prematurely. William had married Alice, fourth daughter of Sir Thomas Molyneux of Castle Dillon, Co. Armagh. After his death, his widow was married secondly, in May 1727, to Richard Wolseley. Richard was created a Baronet of Ireland in 1744 and died in 1788. ‘A General and Heraldic Dictionary of the Peerage and Baronetage of the British Empire’, John Burke.
 Wikipedia maintains that Sir John has many direct descendants living in London, including John Rogerson who has a career in television post-production as a respected sound mixer. There may also be a connection to Dr John Rogerson, Scots physician to Catherine the Great.
 PRONI papers