From 'Dublin Docklands - An Urban Voyage’ by Turtle Bunbury (MPG, 2008).
Admiral Brown Walk - A new walkway named for the red-headed Mayo-born Admiral William Brown, founder of the Argentine Navy. In Argentina, Brown has two towns, 1,000 streets, 500 statues, a sizeable city and several football clubs named after him. The monument is a bronze replica of one at Belgrano, recast from the original 1957 mould, and presented to Ireland by the Argentine Navy.
Boyne Street - Named for the battlefield on which William of Orange secured victory for the Protestant establishment. During the 1920s, Dublin Corporation built a number of houses here alongside stables used by coal-carrying dray horses.
Cardiff Lane - Named for Matthew Cardiff, or Kerdiff , shipbuilder of Manx origin who moved his shipyard here from City Quay in 1786. His foreman was John Hammond, a friend of the Emmets and Sarah Curran, who in 1797 abandoned shipbuilding to become a harpsichord maker. Cardiff’s yard later became Sheridan’s coal yard and is now the site of the Maldron Hotel and the ESRI.
City Quay – Named for the City who somewhat reluctantly paid for the construction of the quay when its original lessee became ill.
Clarence Place - Named for the Duke of Clarence, later William IV, King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland from 1830 to 1837.
Creighton Street – Named for the family of Abraham Crichton, 1st Baron Erne of Crom Castle. His wife Elizabeth was granddaughter and heiress of Sir John Rogerson. The street connects City Quay and Hanover Street East.
Cumberland Street - Built in 1773 and named for William Augustus, 2nd Duke of Cumberland and son of George II. He was known as ‘The Butcher’ for his violent suppression of the Jacobite rebels over after the battle of Culloden Moor in 1746.
Denzille Lane – Named for the family of John Holles, 1st Earl of Clare, for whom Clare Street, Holles Street and Denzille Street (now Fenian Street) were also named. His mother Ann was co-heiress and daughter of John Denzill, of Denzill in Cornwall. One of the Earl’s daughters married Charles I’s notorious henchman, ‘Black Tom’ Wentworth, while another married the 2nd Viscount Fitzwilliam, laird of Ringsend. The Earldom refers to Clare in Suffolk rather than the Irish county.
Erne Street Upper & Lower - Named for Abraham Crichton, 1st Baron Erne of Crom Castle, Co Fermanagh and father of the 1st Earl of Erne. His wife was the Rogerson heiress.
Fenian Street: Formerly Denzille Street and renamed Fenian Street after the Fenian leaders who operated from here in the 1850s. The art deco Archer's Garage, illegally demolished in 1999, was the first building in Ireland to be made of reinforced concrete and to be fitted with fluorescent lighting.
George’s Quay – Formerly Mercer’s Dock, this was rebuilt as a quay in about 1714 and named for the new King George I who ruled from 1714 to 1727. The shimmering glazed and copper-crowned pyramid of George’s Quay Plaza (2003) and the Ulster Bank headquarters (2000) form a landmark known by wags as Canary Dwarf.
Gloucester Street – Located to the rear of City Quay Church, this was known as Martin’s Lane in the 1720s but was renamed in 1756 for William Henry, Duke of Gloucester, brother of George III and Chancellor of Trinity College from 1771 to 1805.
Great Brunswick Street – The former name for Pearse Street commemorated the German Duchy of Brunswick, owned by the Electors of Hanover, from where George IVs Queen Caroline came.
Hanover Street East – A number of warehouses in the area date to the 1890s and may be associated with the short-lived Dublin City Distillery, capable of producing 1,500,000 gallons of whiskey per year. The distillery operated from 1890 to 1905.
Hogan Place – Formerly Wentworth Place, this was renamed for John Hogan (1800 – 1858), the Waterford-born sculptor and nationalist who lived here for the last nine years of his life. Among his best-known works are a statue of Daniel O’Connell and The Farrell Memorial, completed in 1841, now in St Andrew’s Church, Westland Row.
Lazar Hill – Now know as Townsend Street, the name Lazar’s Hill derived from the word ‘Lazaretto’, meaning quarantine station and referred to a hospice built here for lepers embarking on a pilgrimage to the shrine of Saint Iago de Compostela.
Leo Fitzgerald House – Named for a decorator’s son from Great Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street) who joined the 3rd Battalion of the IRA. In March 1921, Fitzgerald, his brother-in-law [later General] Seán MacMahon, Seán MacBride and others ambushed a Black and Tan convoy on Sandwith Street. When the Tans returned fire, Fitzgerald was hit and died on the steps of Pearse Street Library.
Lime Street – In the 18th century, daubing a ship’s planks with burnt lime powder was the preferred method for disinfecting wooden ships. Many of the quicklime stores were based here on this street.
Lombard Street – The street on which the General Registrar Office is presently located was originally known as Harvey’s Yard. Together with Peterson’s Lane (now Lombard Street East), this contained shipbuilding materials that ran all the way down to City Quay. In about 1794, it was renamed for James FitzGerald Lombard, JP, a merchant who purchased property here in a venture with Sir John Arnott and Edward McMahon. In 1858, the Irish Republican Brotherhood held its first meeting at 16 Lombard Street, home of Peter Langan, lathe-maker and timber merchant.
Luke Street – The connection between City Quay and Townsend street was named for St Luke in 1756, probably in connection with the nearby Lock Hospital for Incurables on Townsend Street.
Macken Street - The street was originally Great Clarence Street, named for William IV, the Sailor King, and immediate predecessor to his niece Queen Victoria. In 1923, Dublin Corporation renamed the street for Peader Macken, an ardent Gaelic revivalist and Labour alderman for the South Dock Ward. He attended the meeting at which the Easter Rising was planned but was killed by accident in the fighting at Boland's Mills.
Magennis Court - The birthplace of the late comedian Danny Cummins, Magennis Court may have been named for the poet Bernard Magennis, editor of the Dublin newspaper The Social Mirror and Temperance Advocate.
Markiewicz House - Named for the Sligo-born Rebel Countess who served in the Easter Rebellion as President of Cumann na mBan, the woman’s Nationalist movement.
Martin’s Terrace - Named for Sir Richard Martin’s timber yard which lay behind the wall on the site now occupied by An Post’s Dublin 2 Delivery Office. Sir Richard, an affluent ship-owner, was Chairman of the Port Authority from 1899 until his death in 1901. In 1926, its trade was taken over by T&C Martin, founded by Sir Richard’s cousin. The corrugated warehouse opposite the brown-brick terraced row was erected by Patrick Kelly & Co of Portlaoise.
Misery Hill - In medieval times, this was the last refuge for pilgrims and lepers bound for Saint Iago de Compostella who could not afford to stay in the hospice at Lazar Hill. It apparently derives its name from an age when the corpses of those executed at Gallows Hill near Upper Baggot Street were carted here and strung up to rot as a warning to other would be troublemakers. Two of Robert Emmet’s accomplices were allegedly hanged at Misery Hill in 1803.
Moss Street – Formerly called Moss Lane, this was probably a corruption of ‘Mercer’s Lane’, though some claim it was named for Dr Bartholomew Mosse, the pioneering surgeon who established the world’s first purpose-built maternity hospital at the Rotunda. The City Arts Centre on the riverfront was formerly Eckford’s Ships’ Chandlers Emporium, selling ‘everything from copper nails to ships’ anchors’, while Doherty’s coal-yard and McCann Verdon ship’s chandlers were also on the street.
Pearse Square: Formerly Queen’s Square, this enclosed, fully serviced development was laid out in the 1830s and named for the new Queen Victoria, crowned in 1837. Many of its early residents were actors associated with the Queen’s Royal Theatre on Pearse Street.
Pearse Street – Originally known as Great Brunswick Street, this is one of the longest streets in Dublin. It was renamed in December 1921 for the Easter 1916 heroes, Padraig and Willie Pearse. Up until the 1960s, the tram came down Pearse Street from Nelson’s Pillar to Sandymount. Among the landmarks on the street were in the 1880s, Giuseppe Cervi’s (Dublin’s first Fried Fish & Chips shop), O’Neill’s and The Pearse Tavern, the Gilbert Library, St Andrew’s Resource Centre and several minority churches.
Queen’s Terrace – A now vanished row that ran parallel to the east end of Pearse Street, a model of the area in St Andrew’s Resource Centre shows pigs munching in the back yards and a large cow shed.
Rope Walk South – Located between Erne Street and Lime Street, this was named in about 1773 for the practice of winding hundred yard lengths of hemp rope which took place here when all ships required ropes.
Sandwith Street - Named for Quaker businessman Joseph Sandwith, one of the Commissioners of the Ballast Board who set up the Port and Docks Board. This street was the Liffey shoreline 400 years ago. To this day, certain premises have to pump water out of their basements at spring and neap tides.
Shaw Street - Named for Sir Robert Shaw of Bushy Park, Tory MP for Dublin from 1804 to 1826.
Sir John Rogerson’s Quay – Named for a former Lord Mayor of Dublin who privately funded the construction of the original wall on which the quay now stands.
Spring Garden Lane – Named for the market gardens shown here on Rocque’s map in 1756, this small street off Pearse Street is now crossed by a railway and is home to a Baptist church and various ESB offices.
Tara Street – Named for the ancient Royal capital of Ireland at the Hill of Tara, Co Meath. The present street dates to 1885 and was rebuilt as an extension of Butt Bridge, comprising the former alleys, Stocking Lane and Shoe Lane. The multi-storey Fireworks Nightclub occupies the central fire station built here in Edwardian times.
Townsend Street - In the 19th century, a ‘Townsender’ was the name of a miser who retired to a remote place to count his wealth. This referred to the fact that this street, formerly known as Lazar’s Hill, was a low, muddy and rambling coastline at the ‘end of the town’ running down through meadows to low crumbing cliffs. Despite the coincidence, it was most likely named after Field Marshal Viscount George Townsend, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1767–1772. The first of the Magdalene Laundries (aka ‘rescue homes for fallen women’) was opened here in 1798 by Mrs Brigid Bourke and Patrick Quarterman. Five years later, two of Robert Emmet’s accomplices were hanged on the street. The famous heavyweight boxer Dan Donnelly was born in Townsend Street in 1788 while No 6 was home to the first coffee palace in Ireland, run by the Dublin Total Abstinence Society. Founded in 1909, the Irish Transport & General Workers Union had its humble beginnings in a tenement in Townsend Street where it assets were ‘a couple of chairs, a table, two empty bottles and a candle’.
Wentworth Place – The original name for Hogan Place, named for Thomas Wentworth, Earl of Strafford and Charles I’s Lord Deputy of Ireland. He was executed in 1641. His wife Lady Arabella Holles was a daughter of the 1st Earl of Clare.
Westland Row – Named for developer William Westland who purchased the site when it was a brickfield in 1710.
Whitaker Square - Named after the distinguished Irish economist and public servant, Dr TK Whitaker. He was one of the founders of the Economic and Social Research Institute, which is now located at Whitaker Square.
Windmill Lane – Named for a windmill recorded to have stood here from at least 1823. The stump of the windmill remained until the 1960s. A former Bovril factory was converted into the prestigious Windmill Lane Recording Studios, now owned by Spice Girls and David Gray producers Biffco.