A History of Bishopscourt, Clones, Co. Monaghan

A History of Bishopscourt, Clones, Co. Monaghan

Built as a rectory for the Church of Ireland during the Napoleonic Wars, Bishopscourt was considered such a fine abode that two Bishops of Clogher opted to use it as their main place of residence during the first decades of the 20th century. This tale takes in the...
Chesterfield House, Booterstown, Co. Dublin

Chesterfield House, Booterstown, Co. Dublin

WILLIAMSTOWN Chesterfield House is located on Cross Avenue, midway between Booterstown and Blackrock. When the house was first built, it lay in a village, now swallowed up by the city, called Williamstown. Even in 1847, the Parliamentary Gazetteer noted how the...
The Story of Corkagh, Clondalkin (Dublin) – Introduction & Chapter 1

The Story of Corkagh, Clondalkin (Dublin) – Introduction & Chapter 1

The Corkagh demesne has been in existence since at least 1326 when listed as part of the Archbishop of Dublin’s manor of Clondalkin. A modest castle existed here in the medieval age followed by a farmhouse constructed in about 1650. This section looks at the turbulent...
Finnstown House, Lucan, County Dublin

Finnstown House, Lucan, County Dublin

“Fyne’s Town” A legal record from 1547 refers to a property spelled “Fyne’s Town” located just outside Lucan, County Dublin. 17th century maps spell the name “Fyan’s Town”. This implies that it was once a town belonging to a family called Fyne or Fyan. Some suggest...
Humewood Castle, County Wicklow

Humewood Castle, County Wicklow

Humewood Castle is without doubt one of the most eccentric buildings in Ireland. Built in 1868 for Fitzwilliam Dick, it later passed to his granddaughter, Mimi, who married General Maxim Weygand, commander-of-chief of the Allied forces in Europe on the eve of the...