Turtle Bunbury

Writer and Historian

 
Random Quote
Random Date

FAMILY

McCLINTOCK FAMILY HISTORY

 

McCLINTOCK OF KILWARLIN (DOWN) & GLENDARAGH (ANTRIM)

image title

Above: Major H. S. Stanley by Richard Dighton

 

Major (Henry) Stanley McClintock (1812-1898), JP, Royal Horse Artillery, Antrim Artillery, was born on 27 March 1812, the fourth son of John 'Old Turnip' McClintock by his second marriage to Lady Elizabeth McClintock. He was married in 1839 to his first cousin Gertrude La Touche, only daughter of Robert La Touche, MP (1773–1844) of Harristown and his wife Lady Emily, one of the 1st Earl of Clancarty’s nine daughters. During the 1798 Rebellion, Robert La Touche had commanded a troop of yeomanry under General Dundas. It was Robert who purchased the Sarsfield estates in Lucan and commissioned Francis Johnston to build a new mansion of St. Catharine’s Lodge on the banks of the Liffey. The three-storey mansion was destroyed by fire less than ten years later and never rebuilt.

Lady Emily, Gertrude's mother, was a sister of Lady Elizabeth de la Poer Trench who married John McClintock, father of the 1st Baron Rathdonnell and of William McClintock Bunbury of Lisnavagh, Co. Carlow. Robert La Touche died in 1844 and Gertrude's brother John La Touche (1814-1904) succeeded to Harristown. However, tragedy struck in 1845 when John was practically crippled in a horse fall and, the following year, his younger brother Robert was killed in a stand at the Curragh. Nonetheless the La Touche family would remain deeply connected to the Kildare Hunt throughout this time through both John and Getrude's other brother William. Gertrude died on 22 March 1864.

In the late 1840s Major McClintock was living at Newberry (formerly Carnalway House), outside Killcullen, co Kildare. From here he bred Berkshire pigs and one such pig, a breeding sow pigged in February 1847, scooped the first prize, valued at four sovereigns, at the Royal Agricultural Society of Ireland’s show in August 1849 for ’the best breeding sow of the large breed.’ He won another first prize (and another 3 sovereigns) at the same event for ‘the best lot of pigs of the same litter, not more than three months old’. (See image of Lady Bunbury below).

(NB: Karen Ievers found a portrait photograph of him in 2019 which I have on file).

image title

Above: Major Stanley McClintock, half-brother to Captain McClintock Bunbury, evidently had some fun with the
name of this prize Berkshire sow, Lady Bunbury, a sow, which he imported into Ireland. This image was in one
of the Major's scrapbooks. A breeding pigged at Newberry by the major in February 1847, scooped the first
prize, valued at four sovereigns, at the Royal Agricultural Society of Ireland’s show in August 1849 for ’the best
breeding sow of the large breed.’ He won another first prize (and another 3 sovereigns) at the same event for
‘the best lot of pigs of the same litter, not more than three months old’.

Courtesy of Andrew McClintock.

The McClintocks lived in Randalstown from 1851 to 1869, during which time Major Stanley McClintock was land agent to Lord O’Neill of Shane’s Castle, Randalstown. 'H. Stanley McClintock of Randalstown' was a co-founder of the Royal Ulster Agricultural Society which first met at Hillsborough on 21st September 1854 under the presidency of the Marquis of Downshire. It was initially called the North-East Agricultural Association of Ireland and embraced counties Down, Antrim, Armagh and Monaghan. His co-founding gentlemen were Very Rev. Dean Stannus, of Lisburn; Rev. Dr. Montgomery, Dunmurry; Messrs. John Waring Maxwell, of Finnebrogue; A.H. Montgomery, Tyrella; William Charley, Seymour Hill; Fitzherbert Filgate. Hillsborough; S. K. Molholland, Eglantine; Jonathan Richardson, Glenmore; and S. D. Crommelin, Carrowdore Castle. (The story is told in both the Belfast Telegraph of 25 May 1910, and the Northern Whig, 15 February 1921)

Major McClintock later became land agent to the Marquess of Downshire's estate at Hillsborough, County Down, which boasted one of the finest shoots in Ireland. He was agent to the Marquis of Downshire at the time of the 1st Lord Rathdonnell’s death in 1879. He was thus in the thick of it the time of the Land Wars in the early 1880s, as Kathy Trant relates in her book 'The Blessington Estate, 1667- 1908'. I haven't transcribed this properly but, in a nutshell, Mr Wynn, a senior Downshire official, arrived from England in early December 1881 to make an assessment of the situation and to report back to the chief trustee, Viscount Bridport. Major McClintock and William Owen, another agent for the Blessington estate, were summoned to Dublin to discuss the problem. 'They opted to take a hard line and make no concession to the tenants,' writes Kathy. 'Major McClintock thought that a concession would be a tactical mistake, as it would encourage the "tenants elsewhere to seek a similar reduction" ... The Blessington tenants refused to back down.' His cousin Arthur George Florence McClintock of the Rathvinden line was also connected to the Downshire estate.

Major McClintock lived at Kilwarlin House, Hillsborough, where he died on 9 September 1898 at the age of 86. Colonel Bob McClintock recalled him as 'a very fine looking and popular man with an inexhaustible fund of amusing stories. He was a Major in the Antrim Auxiliary and was generally known as the “Old Colonel” though the War Office did not recognise this honorary rank. For many years he was agent to Lord Downshire’s estate, one of the most important agencies in Ireland. It was concurrently said that horse racing was frowned upon in the family, but his house at Hillsborough luckily had a flat roof from which the races could be comfortably followed with field glasses.'

Stanley McClintock seems to be the key composer of a 4 inch thick green ‘Scrap Book’, now at Redhall, containing of all sorts of activities (1850-c. 1900) relating chiefly to Hillsborough and Randalstown, as well as Drumcar and Monasterboice. There are thought to be copies in both the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland and the Linenhall Library

image title

image title

image title

The Scrap Albm compiled by Major Stanley McClintock during the late 19th century suggests
a tremendous creative and humorous streak, especially in terms of amateur theatricals and music,
which the family both composed and performed, as well as some excellent drawings and artwork.
Particularly memorable are the beautifully illustrated envelopes received by the McClintocks of
Randalstown. The Marquess of Downshire and his family, the Hills of Hillsborough Castle, play a
prominent role, while the scrapbook compiler also had a soft spot for Admiral Nelson (as Duke of
Bronte) and, quite rightly, the Gunning sisters.

(With thanks to Andrew McClintock)

He was also closely involved with the Antrim Militia Artillery, founded at the start of the Crimean War in 1854, as per this article from the Dublin Daily Express, 12 August 1912:

ANTRIM ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY

The Antrim Royal Garrison Artillery Reserve, which has just assembled at Greypoint Battery and Kilroot Battery for the annual training, under the command of Lieutenant- Colonel Southam, dates from 1854, when it was raised under the designation of the Antrim Militia Artillery. When the newly-raised Artillery Corps drew for their numbers the Antrim Artillery drew No. 1. and it became the first regiment of artillery in the United Kingdom. Its first commanding officer was the late Viscount Masserene and Ferrard, whose commission as lieutenant-colonel commanding was dated the 15th November, 1854, his Lordship having been previously lieutenant-colonel of the Louth Militia. The second in command was Major H. Stanley McClintock, an ex-Royal Artillery officer. The regiment was embodied during the Crimean War - December. 1854, till May 1856 - and again during the Indian Mutiny— April, 1859, till February, 1861—and many volunteers joined the regular army in those days, and did their “little bit” in helping to maintain the prestige of British arms in the snows of the Crimea and the sun-stricken hills and plains of the East. The regiment had various designations from time to time. At one time it was Brigade of the North Irish Division Royal Artillery, and on the abolition of the territorial divisions of the Royal Artillery it resumed its localise designation, which it has retained since in several modifications.

The regiment was embodied in May, 1900, whilst the South African War was in progress, and, having volunteered for active service, a service company of five officers and 163 non-commissioned officers and gunners was accepted and sent to South Africa in the militia siege train, which was intended to man part of the guns needed for the anticipated bombardment of the forte which defended Pretoria, and which were known to be of immense strength and powerful armament. But as the forts fell without a siege the services of the Antrim gunners were not needed in that direction. With the Antrim was a company of the Donegal Artillery. Lieutenant Colonel E. T. Pottinger, of the Antrims, was in command of the whole, and Major E. G. Elmitt was in command of the company. For some time the company helped to man the defences of the Cape Peninsula, various detachments were engaged in escorting Boer prisoners of war to St. Helena, and subsequently the company went to Orange River, where it built the celebrated fortifications known as “Fort Antrim.” Said the inspecting officer —‘The finest bit of fortification I have seen in South Africa,” and "A permanent monument to the industry of the Irish Brigade." In June, 1901, the company returned home, and in the meantime the regiment itself had been disembodied. The company lost three non-commissioned officer and men during its service the Cape.

When the Artillery Militia of the United Kingdom was wiped out under Lord Haldane’s scheme the Antrim Artillery was very fortunate in escaping the general catastrophe, it and the Cork Artillery being the only corps left out of some thirty. The remainder were disbanded. Had it not been for the fact that forts were being built for the defence of Belfast Lough the Antrim Artillery would have shared the general fate. The regiment at the same time was converted into special reserve, which is a distinction without much difference to the old militia. The Antrims have always borne a very high reputation for efficiency, discipline, and good conduct, and the present-day gunners are indeed a very fine lot of men.

Major Stanley McClintock and his wife Gertrude McClintock had three sons and twin daughters, viz:

1) Frederick Robert McClintoock, who was married on 1 February 1877 to Lucy Antonia, youngest daughter of Sir Anthony Cleasby, Baron of the Exchequer, and granddaughter of Mr George John of Penzance. The wedding was at St. Margaret's, Westminster. (Royal Cornwall Gazette, 9 February 1877). According to Colonel Bob McClintock, he was 'known as “Freddy the Fiddler” from his considerable musical attainments. He was in the London Civil Service and lived at Tite Street, Chelsea or near Brecon in the home of his attractive and accomplished wife.' There was a travel writer knocking about in the 1880s by name of F. R. McClintock who could be the same man.

image title

Lt.-Col. Charley McClintock (1844-1921)
(
Photograph c.1895)

2) Lt. Col. Charles Edward McClintock (11 May 1844 - 13 Feb 1921) was born in Drumcar and known as Charley. In 1869, at the age of 25, he was appointed land agent to the Pakenham Estate at Langford Lodge near Crumlin, County Antrim, and lived at Glendaragh near Crumlin. He was still with the Pakenhams in 1886. He later served with the 6th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles (old Louth Militia) and retired with the rank of Lieut. Colonel. He was often called “The Young Colonel”. Colonel Bob McClintock recalled Charles as 'a very fine figure of a man' and, were he not handicapped by deafness and bad sight, he would probably have had a distinguished army career.

In the Victorian Age, a charming craze for illustrated envelopes commenced when the public began to decorate their own envelopes with pen and ink illustrations and caricatures. David McClintock wrote an article about them for Country Life, published on 14 Nov 1963. The late James Murray Rankin of Randalstown, County Antrim, identified a series of twelve illustrated envelopes drawn by Charlie between 1859 and 1863 and sent from Randalstown to Miss Augusta Lyster, youngest daughter of Robert Lyster, at various addresses in Brighton and London. Robert Lyster was born in Clones, County Monaghan. The artistic standard of Charlie's envelope is considered very high standard; there was evidently a strong artistic streak in that side of the McClintock family. Charles McClintock’s brother Frederick also illustrated his envelopes. Mr Rankin also had a scrap book containing pen and ink drawings and sketches by Augusta`s elder sister, the ‘very talented’ Gertrude Lyster, who married Henry Leighton in 1864.

image title

Above: An example of an illustrated envelope sent by Charlie to
Augusta Lyster. It is a coloured pen and ink drawing of a boy and
girl playing on a field gate with a Church spire in the background.
Posdtage stamp placed on top of a signpost. Envelope posted in
Randalstown 17th December 1862.

On 8 June 1867, Augusta Lyster was married at St Mary's Church, Bryanston-square, London, to James Parlett Hornby Halls, a stockbroker. (Augusta's sister Gertrude married Henry Leighton, a merchant, in London on 2nd November 1864; they moved to Shanghai shortly after their marriage.) When Halls went bankrupt in 1895, the family moved to Essex. James and Augusta's son Robert James Halls (1873-1932) studied art at The Slade between 1889-90, painting on ivory, and later at the Royal Academy School. Robert became a successful artist and exhibited at the Royal Academy, mostly watercolor and oils miniatures on ivory. Robert James Halls was the first named beneficiary in the will of Jane 'Jenny' Patterson (1844-1924), George Bernard Shaw’s lover between 1885-1893. He inherited her books and artwork, including works by Robert Anning Bell. Jenny, whose family resided in Newry, County Down, close to Henry Stanley McClintock’s sometime home, also had a home in Knightsbridge, close to the Halls family. She also knew the Lyster family who had property in from both Brighton and Kensington, London. Jane’s will of 1921 does not state her connection to Robert James Halls; she may just have been a friend. Following her death in 1924, she left her properties in Newry to her friend Arabella Gilmore. If anyone has further details on Jane Patterson, please email me as John McIntrye is keen to learn more. (With thanks to John McIntyre and the late James Rankin.)

C. E. McClintock was almost certainly the 'Charlie' McClintock referred to in an article called ‘Donegal and Antrim Link: O’Neill and Chichester’ by the Hon. Mrs. Fionn Morgan (Journal of the County Donegal Historical Society, 2007, p. 8). Mrs Morgan says her great-aunt Anne O’Neill (1848-1934), the daughter of the Revd William Chichester O’Neill, wanted to marry Charlie McClintock, 'the land agent of a neighbouring estate,’ but that the Rev. O’Neill’s second wife Elizabeth Grace (nee Torrens, and known in the family, as E.G) 'refused to countenance [the] marriage.' Mrs Morgan also credits this Charlie with devising 'a Matinée Musicale.' (Thanks to Karen Ievers).

image title

This photo is assumed to be the family of Major Stanley
McClintock, his wife Gertrude and some of their three sons and
their twin daughters, as well as Anne O'Neill (whose ambitions to
marry Charley McClintock were thwarted by her stepmother).

The photo came from an album belonging to Lord George A. Hill of
Ballyare, County Donegal, who married not one but two of Jane
Austen’s nieces, Cass and Lou. Stanley was land agent to the
Hill family (aka the Marquess of Downshire) and their estate at
Hillsborough, County Down, in the time of the Land Wars. From
1891-1902, his cousin Arthur George Florence McClintock (1856-
1929) had a twelve year spell as agent to the Downshire estate.

To add to the mix, Major Stanley McClintock’s oldest brother (or half-
brother) John McClintock, 1st Lord Rathdonnell, was married to Anne
Lefroy; it was to Anne’s father’s rectory in Hampshire that Tom
Lefroy came to stay when he was allegedly a-courting Miss Austen!

Stanley was also a half-brother of the man who built Lisnavagh.

(Photo courtesy of Karen Ievers)

In 1881, he married Blanche Louise Dunlop, the daughter of Mr Dunlop/Delap of Monasterboice House near Drogheda, County Louth. (Editor’ s comments: It was originally Delap, but changed to Dunlop). She was the younger sister of the wife of Sir Leopold McClintock, the explorer.'

Charles died at his residence on 13th February 1921 and was interred in the old Parish Church graveyard at Drumcar. The Northern Whig carried this obituary to him on Tuesday 15 February 1921: "We regret to announce the death, which occurred at Glendarragh, Crumlin, on Sunday of Lieutenant-Colonel C. E. M'Clintock, J.P. Well known throughout Ulster the late Colonel M'Clintock, who was a son of Major H. Stanley M'Clintock, was born at Newberry, County Kildare, on May 11th, 1844. He served with the late 6th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, and retired with tho rank of lieutenant-colonel. On leaving the service he went to reside at Glendarragh. He was a justice of the peace for the county, and agent for the Pakenham and Henry estates. A persona grata amongst the farmers of Antrim he took a keen practical interest in their welfare and the development of agriculture on scientific lines. Though a Unionist, whose adherence to the Ulster movement was irrevocable, he never took an active part in politics. He was a member of the Church of Ireland, and remarkable for his benevolence and kindly attributes of character. He was a popular figure at the Ulster Club, Belfast, and was also a member of the Junior Carlton, London.'

Charley and Blanche were survived by two sons - or was there a third? The elder son was Lieutenant-Colonel Stanley R. M'Clintock, D.S.O. (1882-1958) who served in the Gordon Highlanders and in WWI commanded in turn two Battalions of the Black Watch. He was an excellent Battalion Commander and was a very imposing figure in this Highland uniform. An insight into his war record can be found via the following newspaper records which show that he was wounded twice, once severely; recuperated at home in Ireland; and that his courage caught the eye of Field Marshal Haig.

ULSTER AND THE WAR THE ROLL OF HONOUR.
Colonel Stanley M‘Clintock Wounded.
LOSSES IN THE RANKS.
LIEUT.-COL. STANLEY R. McCLINTOCK Gordon Highlanders attached Seaforth Highlanders, officially reported wounded, is a son of Lieutenant-Colonel Charles E. M'Clintock, J.P., of Glendaragh, Crumlin, County Antrim, late officer commanding 6th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, and a nephew of the Dean of Armagh Very Rev. F. G. Le Poer McClintock, M.A.. Born on 17th May, 1882, Lieutenant-Colonel McClintock received his baptism of fire in the South African war and received the Queen's Medal with clasps. He has seen a good deal of service in the present campaign in France, and was awarded the brevet of major on the celebration of the King’s Birthday on 3rd June, 1916, being subsequently mentioned in despatches by Field-Marshal Sir Douglas Haig. He is suffering from shrapnel wounds in the knee, and is in a London hospital.
Lisburn Standard
, Friday, 4 May, 1917; Belfast News-Letter, Thursday 3 May 1917.

CRUMLIN’S VOLUNTEERS. PRESENTATION OE CERTIFICATES. A very interesting, and to many a memorable, ceremony took place in Crumlin on Saturday, namely, the presentation of over 60 certificates of honour to the near relatives of men from the town and neighbourhood who, at the outbreak of the war, volunteered for active service. The proceedings, which were arranged by Mr. T. J. English, were held opposite the courthouse in the main street, and attracted large crowd of the inhabitants. The band from the depot the Royal Irish Rifles attended, and under the directorship Mr. Allen, bandmaster, contributed an entertaining programme of martial and popular music. Colonel E. S. M‘Clintock. J.P., Glendarragh, (who was accompanied by Mrs. M'Clintock, and his gallant son, Lieut.-Colonel Stanley M'Clintock. D.S.O., Gordon Highlanders), presided.
Larne Times - Saturday 7 July 1917.

ULSTER AND THE WAR.
Colonel Stanley M‘Clintock Severely Wounded.
LIEUT--COLONEL STANLEY E. M'CLINTOCK, D.S.O., Gordon Highlanders, commanding a battalion of the Black Watch, son of Colonel Charles E. McClintock, J P., Glendaragh, Crumlin, was admitted to hospital in Wimereux on 27th March, having been severely wounded in the thigh. This gallant officer has served with distinction In the present war. He has been twice mentioned despatches by Sir Douglas Haig, and was awarded the brevet of major and subsequently the D.S.O. for gallantry in the field. He was previously wounded.
Belfast News-Letter, Monday 1 April 1918.

He survived the war and was later posted to Ballykinlar in County Down where the 36th Ulster Division, formed from the Ulster Volunteers, had done so much training during the war, and where over 2,000 men from the thirty-two counties of Ireland were interned during the Irish War of Independence, a per the following:

The 2nd Battalion the Gordon Highlanders under the command of Lieut.-Colonel Stanley M'Clintock, D.S.O., Glendaragh, Crumlin, will leave Ballykinlar Camp, Co. Down, on T[hurs?]day, 26th inst. to take its place in the *** Infantry Brigade at Aldershot.
Belfast News-Letter - Monday 11 January 1932

Crumlin Officer’s Appointment
Lieutenant-Colonel Stanley R. M'Clintock, D. S.O., whose period of command of the 2nd Battalion the Gordon Highlanders expires in December next, will become Officer-in-Charge of the Infantry Record and Pay Office at Leith, which serves, among other regiments, the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Royal Ulster Rifles, London Irish, and Royal Irish Fusiliers. He is a son of the late Lieutenant Colonel Charles E. M’Clintock, of Glendaragh, Crumlin, a former commanding officer of the 6th Royal Irish Rifles. and a grandson of Major H. S. M’Clintock, of Kilwarlin House, Hillsborough, who served in the Antrim Artillery. Lieutenant-Colonel Stanley M’Clintock has a distinguished record of service the Great War, in which he commanded the 4th Battalion the Gordon Highlanders, the 7th Battalion the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, the 7th Battalion the Black Watch, and the 3rd Battalion the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). He was twice wounded and twice mentioned in despatches, and was awarded the brevet of major and the D.S.O. and Bar for gallantry in the field. He was also lieutenant-colonel with his regular unit, and Deputy Assistant Adjutant- General for senior officers’ instruction. He obtained command of the 2nd Gordons while they were stationed at Ballykinlar in 1930.
Belfast News-Letter - Thursday 30 August 1934.

Stanley - known to his nephews and nieces as 'Uncle Tanny' - married Nellie Brodigan of Pilton House, Drogheda, to which house he moved on his retirement from the army. As Colonel Bob McClintock observes: 'A side-light on his character is given in the following incident: when on the way to a smart tennis party, his wife noticed his hat and exclaimed “Tanny, you can’t possibly go to a party in that hat” to which he answered “A man must have a hat he can kneel on when he’s gardening”.' Stanley died in 1958.

Charles and Blanche’s second son William Frederick Charles McClintock was born on 21 November 1883 but died in 1908.

Charles and Blanche’s third son, the Rev. Edward Louis Longfield McClintock, was brought up at Glendaragh. Colonel Bob McClintock recalled him as 'a fine looking and popular man and after a long life of service [who] now lives in retirement at Bishops Stortford.' His wife Margaret, known as Maggie, was the daughter of JH Buxton of Easney, Ware, Herts. [She was connected to Sir T F Buxton, the man who pushed through Parliament the emancipation of all slaves in 1835.] Their only son was the Harrow and Cambridge educated botanist David Charles McClintock (1913-2001) who made a name for himself for his horticultural knowledge and written 'a most excellent book', with Richard Fitter, the Pocket Guide of British Wild Flowers; his voice was often to be heard on the BBC. During the latter stages of the Great War, David went to visit his grandparents at Glendaragh. He later recalled how during the crossing to Belfast, all passengers had to stay on deck for the entire voyage, wearing life-jackets, for fear of German U-boats. A report from his prep school offered the opinion that "McClintock's cricket would be a good deal better if he did not waste his time studying the plants in the region of the wicket". He was also president of the Botanical Society of the British Isles (BSBI), the Heather Society, the Bamboo Society, the Wild Flower Society and the Kent Field Club. It is said of him that he knew all the Latin names of the weeds in his garden! In 1949, he married Elizabeth (Ann), daughter of Major Dawson, with died in 1993. They had Alison (b. 1941), Andrew (b. 1944, married to Madeleine), Hugh J (b. 1946, married to Diana and lives in Nottingham) and Joanna (b. 1949). David died aged 88 in 2001, on the same day as his first cousin, Nicholas McClintock, father of Sylvia. He was widely regarded as a lovely man. See his obituary in the Telegraph here.

David's sister Kathleen once became ill at Drumcar and needed some hot water in the middle of the night: the coal stove was out, and there was no means of boiling water, so her mother Margaret bought the twins a spirit stove. Kathleen went on to become Mrs Kinahan - her brother-in-law Robin was Ld Mayor of Belfast in about 1960 - and her son the Rev. Timothy Kinahan is now Vicar of Helen's Bay on Belfast Lough. Timothy is also the custodian of Major HS McClintock's scrapbook, from which David's son Andrew McClintock kindly sent me the image of the sow 'Lady Bunbury'. Kathleen was one of five of the Rev Edward and Margaret McClintock's daughters, the others being Rachel, Monica, Rhoda and Margaret. Either David or his sister Kathleen Kinahan recounted a tale to Andrew McClintock of how one of the family was taken ill one night (appendicitis, perhaps), and there was no means of getting hot water without lighting the coal fire and waiting. Therefore Maggie McClintock (nee Buxton) made a gift of a little spirit stove.


Articles