Subscribe for Unlimited Access to Turtle’s History Quarter.

Includes content from Vanishing Ireland, Easter Dawn, Dublin Docklands, The Irish Pub, Maxol and many more, as well as Waterways Ireland, the Past Tracks project and hundreds of historical articles on Irish families, houses, companies and events.

Edgeworthstown, County Longford

THE KING’S CONFESSOR   Perhaps the most remarkable baby born at The Rectory in Edgeworthstown was Henry Essex Edgeworth, later Abbé de Firmont, who served as a priest to the poor of Paris during the 1780s.[1] Following the French Revolution, he gave Louis XVI of France his last rites just before the king was guillotined in 1793. On a trip to St. Petersburg, the Abbé […]