MERCHANT MEN OF ANTRIM & NEW ZEALAND
Family lore holds that the O’Halloran’s emigrated north from County Clare on the west coast of Ireland to County Antrim at the north of the island in the late 18th century. This appeasr to be due to a combination of religious and political pressures. Certainly Halloran, or O’h-Allmhurain , meaning ‘stranger from overseas’, was a Munster name. The Clare branch of the O’h-Allmhurain were of the same stock as the MacConmaras and their original territory embraced much of the district around Ogonnelloe in the Barony of Tulla, from where they spread southwards into Co. Limerick.[i]
Their ancestor is said to have been Michael O’Halloran, a “substantial” 18th century Catholic farmer, who had at least three sons by his wife Mary McDonnell. It is certainly interesting that a link to the McDonnell family at this early stage. There were two lines of the Antrim clan of McDonnells living in Clare at this time, both Church of Ireland and both regarded themselves as reasonably close kinsmen of the Antrim branch. It seems likely that Mary McDonnell was connected to one of these lines but no further details of Mary’s family are yet known. It is thought she may have been a sister of Thomas M’Donnell, one of the first Europeans to settle in New Zealand.
Michael and Mary’s sons appear to have been raised in a manner typical of the 18th century Catholic Irish whereby the first son joined the church, the second secured the land and a vocation, and the third went for higher education. In this instance, the eldest brother, the Rev Joseph Ignatius O’Halloran SJ (1718-1800) went to the Jesuit College in Bordeaux and was later appointed Professor of Philosophy at the University of Bordeaux. The third brother Sylvester O’Halloran was born on December 31st 1728 at Caherdavin, Co. Clare, and became an eminent surgeon, historian and antiquary.[ii] The middle brother George O’Halloran, was a jeweler and a man of property who probably served his apprenticeship in Limerick City. It was suggested that this was the George O’Halloran who relocated to Ulster and became such a prominent figure in Glenarm. However, Walker’s Hibernian magazine of 1804, otherwise known as the ‘Compendium of entertaining knowledge’ refers to the recent death of “Mr. George Halloran, formerly an eminent silversmith” in Limerick. If he was the middle son, George would have been born between 1718 and 1728.
Above: Glenarm Castle, seat of the McDonnells, with whom the O’Halloran
family were closely associated from the 1770s until at least the 1860s.
GEORGE HALLORAN (c. 1764-1846)
The original George Halloran of Glenarm was born circa 1764, place unknown, making him a direct contemporary of Theobald Wolfe Tone and Napoleon’s Empress Josephine. On his headstone, he is said to have ‘departed this life 29th February 1846 aged 81 years’. Subtracting 81 from 1846 gets 1765. However if his birthday fell after February 29th, then he could have been born in 1764. And just to add to the confusion, The Nation gave his age at the time of his death as 89 which would mean he was born in 1757.
It is possible that his father was a son, or even grandson, of George O’Halloran, the Limerick silversmith alluded to above but this has yet to be proven. It has also been suggested that he was the son of a haberdasher from Castlewellan, Co. Down, the adjoining county to Antrim. Certainly this was the only Halloran or O’Halloran family living in the Glens of Antrim during this time. [ii.a] The family grave in Glenarm notably gives George’s surname as Halleran.
A man by the name of George Halloran (as opposed to O’Halloran or Halleran) was registered as a tenant of the Earl of Antrim in the townland of Druminagh in Glencloy (Carnlough) in 1777.[iii] On the basis that George of Glenarm was born in 1763, he would have only been 14 at this time so perhaps this refers to his father, also George.
Hector McDonnell, a family historian, writes: ‘Glenarm only became the Antrims’ seat in the 1750s and they did develop things in the late 18th century, including the harbour, so it may well be that the quarrying was started at that time. In that case it is quite possible that the first O’Hallorans came there then, and were in contact with [the then] Lord Antrim … The Antrims employed an engineer from Whitehaven called Myers in the 1750s and 1760s to build the castle and most probably the church too. He had originally come over to build the harbour at Ballycastle so it may well be that he was involved in the development of Glenarm harbour too but I have no evidence. There are however a series of interesting late 18th century plans for the redevelopment of Glenarm indicating an interest in the development of its commercial possibilities. Ballycastle was certainly exploiting its mining potential and its salt production, so it could well be that similar things were being started up at Glenarm.’
In any event, during the 1780’s, George became closely connected with the Earl of Antrim, ultimately working for him as both a Revenue officer and an Enforcer in the Anglican Parish in Glenarm. As Tithe Commissioners were required by law to come from outside the area, George may have been “imported” into Co. Antrim by the Earl. He was presumably there in August 1787 when the Earl recieved an important guest when the Lord Lieutenant arrived at Glenarm Castle. ‘On his arrival, joy was in every eye,’ gushed the Freeman’s Journal (August 21, 1787), ‘and every heart was elate, and the surrounding country was a perfect illumination – From Glenarm he goes to Tullamore, a lodge of the Right Hon John O’Neill’s where his Grace proposes taking the diversion of grousing &c for a few days.’
On 17th January 1790, aged about 27, he married Eleanor Forbes (1766-1841), the 24-year-old daughter of Hugh Forbes of Bridge Street, Glenarm, Co. Antrim. Their first son Hugh died in April 1791 aged three months. A second son Arthur died in October 1796 aged 12 months while another son Nicholas died in March 1802 aged 10 years. They also lost a daughter Jane, aged 18, who died in August 1812. George and Eleanor’s surviving children were George, Richard and Margaret.
Alan Martin has a record of a George O’Halloran of Limerick who converted from being a Catholic to Church of Ireland in 1793 at the King’s Bench Sessions in Limerick.
The original minute books and registers reveal that George was appointed Revenue Officer (collector of tithes) for St Patrick’s church, Glenarm, on 27th April 1796. George was to remain on St Patrick’s vestry for many years and, in 1815, he was also appointed a Churchwarden.
During the 1798 Rebellion, he served in the loyalist Glenarm Yeomanry, under Captain George Stewart. [iii.a] This 60-strong force was threatened with an attack by United Irishman rebels in June 1798 and obliged to take refuge in Glenarm Castle. When Earl Camden, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, sent his dispatches from Dublin Castle to Whitehall on June 23rd, he mentioned that Captain Stewart of the Glenarm Yeomanry and Captain Mathews of the Portaferry Yeomanry ‘had behaved uncommonly well in repulsing large bodies of rebels, who attacked them with great fury’.[iv] On 20th December 1800, George was commissioned as a Lieutenant in the Glenarm Yeomanry under Captain Stewart. It seems highly likely that Lieutenant George O’Halloran thus bestowed the name ‘Stewart’ as a middle name upon his eldest son George Stewart Hallroan, who was born in about 1800. The Stewarts were closely allied to the Earls of Antrim, acting as their agents from the early 1600s and holding substantial portions of the McDonnell lands in Co. Antrim. They were also intermarried with the McDonnells of Kilmore in Glenarrif, amongst others. Captain Stewart died in 1802 and P. Mathewson was commissioned as the new captain of the Glenarm Yeomanry on 8th February 1803.[v]
George was certainly very focused on the importance of names at this point because it is believed he dropped the O from the family name of O’Halloran in the wake of the 1798 rebellion. He had certainly dropped it by the time of his commissioned into the Glenarm Yeomanry, dated 20 December 1800. (Yeomanry Corps 1843, sourced from the Carlton Club, St James).
George Halloran was evidently also a road contractor. He was mentioned in the Lent Assizes for 1811 Road Sessions – ‘To George Halloran, Alexander and William McCloy to make 34 perches of road – Glenarm to Ballycastle – in Harphall (Carnlough) at 1s 6p.’
In October 1812, two months after the death of his 18-year-old daughter Jane, George Halloran (then aged 49), Joseph Hunter and Phil Gibbons were to superintend the pulling down of the courthouse steeple in Glenarm which had become dangerous. To achieve this, the sum of £11 7s 6d had been levied on the Barony, all of which was paid to Phil Gibbons. The Gibbons connection is interesting. Phil was born in Westport, Co Mayo where his father John Gibbons had been land agent for the local landlord, Lord Altamont. Phil’s father and two of his brothers, John (jun) and Edmond were implicated in the 1798 Rebellion. After the Rebellion John (sen) escaped to France where he died many years later, while John (jun) was hanged at Westport and Edmond was sentenced to life in Botany Bay. Edmond jumped ship in France, joined an Irish Legion and was killed fighting at Boulogne in 1809. Phil favoured a sea-faring life and, as captain of a smack vessel, sailed into Glenarm Harbour where he met Anne Stewart, daughter of the Earl of Antrim’s agent in Glenarm. They were married in about 1788. Gibbons eventually came to live at No 58 High Street, Carnlough. By the time of the 1798 Rebellion, he was a respected property holder in Carnlough and a loyal member of the Church of Ireland congregation. He not implicated in the rising. Like George he supplemented his income by taking on road repairs and road construction and his name appears in 1811 Road Sessions. He also built a loose stone pier “200 ft long and 200ft broad (for about £1200) which could take vessels of 15-20 weight”. Phil Gibbons’ name as a juryman appeared for the last time on 2nd April, 1814 and he died in 1816.[vi] (When Lt J Chaytor’s made an advance statement of his Ordnance Survey in 1832, he noted that Phil Gibbon’s pier in Glenarm was already in a dilapidated condition. It nonetheless served as a protection for the new harbour during its construction from 1853-55).
On Monday, November 2nd 1812, the Freemans Journal (p.3) referred to the following incident which George was presumably very familiar with: ‘On Monday last, two seamen gave information to Mr. Wilson, land waiter, of Glenarm, that their vessel had struck upon a rock at the point of Garran, north of Glenarm, and that she had immediately drifted off the shore. Mr. Wilson immediately mustered a crew, and proceeded in quest of the vessel, in a revenue boat, which is only about 19 feet in the keel. After upwards of two hours sailing, in a strong gale of wind, and the sea running mountains high., he came up with her, about mid-channel, between the Whillans rocks and the rock of Ailsa. Her gave orders to get the grappling clear, and running up alongside to leeward effected a boarding about twelve at noon. Mr. W then set sail, steered for Loch Ryan in Scotland and anchored her at the Cairn, a place of perfect safety, about nine o’clock at night.’
There is also a fine story about George S Halloran and the Glenarm soup-kitchens, accessible here at http://www.antrimhistory.net/content.php?cid=539, in which George is described as having ‘devoted his energies for almost fifty years to the welfare of the poor of the parish’ as treasurer.
In 1816, George Halloran had the lease of a farm in the townland of Mullaghconnelly.[vii] It is believed he farmed at Mullaghconnelly, Glenarm, but lived on Toberwine Street in central Glenarm, close to the Soup Kitchen which he supervised on behalf of the Vestry. In 1825, Lord Antrim commissioned William Vitruvius Morrison to rebuild Glenarm castle. In 1830, George was also farming 11a, 0r, 28p in the townland of Libbert (Glenarm).
One presumes George was amongst those in attendance when the Glenarm Branch of the North East Society held their second annual show at Glenarm on 24th September, followed by a meeting of the soceity where Edmund McDonnell (President), Thomas Davison (Vice President), Lord Mark Kerr, the Rev. Alexander Montgomery, Robert Batt, Conway E. Dobbs and several other visitors from Glenarm Castle, sat down to an excellent plain dinner, provided by Miss Dunn for the occasion. [vi.a]
“When Larne doctor James McHenry wrote a fictitious novel in 1820 he could not have imagined that in later years people would have accepted the story as historical fact. The novel in question “O’Halloran, or the Insurgent Chief”‘ deals with the United Uprising of 1798 around the coast from Larne to Ballygally. O’Halloran was placed in the factual setting of the old stone castle off Ballygally Head. This building in the novel was the local rendezvous point for the proscribed organisation, the United Irishmen of which O’Halloran, described in the book as ‘an honourable Co. Antrim gentleman”, was secretly a prominent member. Over the years the stone castle became known as O’Halloran’s although no such person ever existed. O’Halloran was thought to be modelled on Jame Agnew Farrell, leader of the Larne rebels, who later purchased quarries at Magheramourne. Despite the fact that it is centred around the 1798 Rising, the story is chiefly a romantic historical novel. O’Halloran’s sister Ellen and Edward Barrymore, an English gentleman, provide the main romance. Few copies of the novel exist today.’
Felix McKillop, “Glenarm – A local History” (1987) – ‘O’Halloran, or the Insurgent Chief’.
In 1830, Mary Halloran, a daughter of George Halloran of Glenarm, was married in Glenarm to James Ross, son of Captain Ross of Glaslough in County Monaghan. The captain is likely to have been the Scots-born Presbyterian land agent John Ross, a sometime employee of Charles Powell Leslie of Castle Leslie, Glaslough.[vii.a]
The 1832 Tithe Applotment records for the Parish of Tickmacrevan (Glenarm) list George as head of house at Mullaghconnelly, Glenarm, as well as a number of residential properties in Glenarm Town.[viii] George appears to have left Mullaghconnelly sometime between 1832 and 1840.
Eleanor died on 3 Aug 1841 and was buried in the Glebe graveyard, just out side Glenarm.
According to Lennon Wylie 1843, George Halloran of Lower Glenarm was listed as one of fourteen High Constables and Collectors of Cess for Co. Antrim. He was also listed as one of eighteen Dispensaries in the county (and the only one in Glenarm). The Earl of Antrim was Deputy Lieutenant for Co. Antrim at this time, while George, Earl of Belfast (a son of the Marquess of Donegall) was Lord Lieutenant for the county.
In 1835, Lloyd’s Register of Shipping noted a vessel called ‘Glenarm’ owned by Mr. Halloran and built in Jersey earlier that year. She belonged to Belfast Port and was sailing, via Jersey, for Quebec under Master Buttershal.[ix]On 3rd December 1842, the South Australian Register noted that “the barque Glenarm, from Liverpool, Captain White, one hundred and nineteen days, arrived in [Hobart?] Bay on Wednesday evening last.” However just as she was landing (opposite Brighton) a white squall struck her and carried away her mizenmast and caused some further damage. The accident was spotted from the shore by Edward Stephens and John Morphet who notified HW Philips, ‘Lloyd’s Agent at this port’ who ensured she was brought safely into the bay. ‘The Glenarm was laid on for New Zealand, as well as Port Adelaide, but it is hardly expected that she will proceed further on her voyage if a purchaser can be found for her here’.[x] However, on 22nd December 1844, the Glenarm was reportedly loading up with oil at Port Nicholson and she left for London, via Adelaide, on the 28th
In 1844, The Bible Christian referred to George as taking the chair at a soiree held by Glenarm’s Remonstrant congregation on 22nd October.[xi] The full reference is here:
George Halloran’s grave in Glenarm, dated 1849.
“On Tuesday, Oct.22, the Remonstrant congregation of Glenarm held a soiree, in their meeting-house, for the purpose of expressing their gratitude to their friends, of other religious denominations, who came forward so kindly to get up, and sign petitions on their behalf, during the progress of the Dissenters’ Chapels Bill. This must have been a pleasing duty to every member of the congregation; for in no other locality did the members of other religious communities manifest a greater interest in the success of their Remonstrant brethren, than in that of Glenarm. The meeting was numerous and respectable. After tea, on the motion of the Rev. A. Montgomery, seconded by the Rev. T. Smyth, George S. Halloran, Esq. was called to the chair. Several sentiments, of a routine character, having been gone over, the Chairman gave,—” Sir Robert Peel, and her Majesty’s Ministers;” “Civil and Religious Liberty;” “Our Deputation to London m defence of our rights;” ” Our Friends of other religious denominations, who aided us so liberally in the hour of danger;” ” The Rev. A Montgomery, the old and faithful minister of the congregation of Glenarm ;” ” The Rev Thomas Smyth, and the congregation of Glenarm;” “The Ladies;” and ” The Northern Whig.” The Rev. Messrs. Campbell, Glendy, Montgomery, Smyth, and 11. Martin, Esq. spoke on the occasion.”
On Saturday, March 14, 1846, The Nation noted the death at Cushendun of George Halloran of Glenarm, Co. Antrim, aged 89 years. According to other accounts, George died at Culfreightrim aged 81 on 29th February 1846, having ‘so faithfully supervised the running of the Broth Shop in 1817’. One of his last acts was to install a new boiler (Jan 1846). He was buried alongside his late wife in the Glebe graveyard, Glenarm. The inscribed headstone gives George Halloran, Esq (1765-1846) of Glenarm and his wife Eleanor Forbes (1765-1841).
GEORGE STEWART HALLORAN (1800-1868)
George and Eleanor’s eldest son was George Stewart Halloran. He and his brother Richard set up a business exporting limestone from quarries owned by the Earl of Antrim.
The O’Halloran family motto is generally given as “Ripis rapax, rivis audax”, meaning ‘On the banks rapacious, in the streams daring.’ Another version is “Rapax ripis, audax rives”, similarly translated as ‘Rapacious on the banks, audacious on the rivers’. Family lore holds that it was bestowed on the family as a result of their support of Brian Boru, with Clan Ferghaill in Galway and Clare, long before the move to Antrim.
A notice in the Belfast Newsletter of 15 April 1828 shows that Captain McDonnell [quite possibly Thomas McDonnell] was sailing for Jamaica in a brig called John Echlin, and that interested parties were to apply to George S and Richard Halloran in Belfast. Similarly, in April 1832, the Halloran brothers of 39, Donegall Quay, Belfast, were the people to consult if interested in sending freight or passengers on the brig Adventure, bound for Jamaica via Antigua under Captain William Wilson.
Richard and George Halloran appear to have adopted their own motto (“Per Mare et Terram”) and crest (an otter) for their shipping business. The use of blue and white colours on the ancient shield may emphasize the link to south-western Scotland. Regarding the otter, I think the following reference from 1846 to the otters of Antrim is probably of relevance:
‘In many parts of Ireland the Otter is yet very common, and commits great havoc among the salmon during their periodical visits to the fresh-water. It would seem, from the observations of Mr. Ogilby (sec ‘ Proceeds. Zool. Soc.,’ 1834, p.iii.), that the Irish Otter is specifically different from that of our island, or at least that there is in the north of Ireland another species. Mr. Ogilby observes that its habitation and manners are peculiar. “It is,” he says, ” to a considerable extent, a marine animal, being found chiefly along the coast of the county of Antrim, living in hollows and caverns, formed by the scattered masses of the basaltic columns of that coast, and constantly betaking itself to the sea when alarmed or hunted. It feeds chiefly on salmon ; and as it is consequently injurious to the fishery, a premium is paid for its destruction; and there are many persons who make a profession of hunting it, earning a livelihood by the reward paid for it, and by disposing of its skin.” It is darker coloured than the common Otter of our island, being nearly black, with a less extent of pare colour beneath the throat. A specimen is to be seen in the museum of the Zoological Society.’
From ‘ Penny magazine of the Society for the diffusion of useful knowledge, Volume 8, Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (G. Knight & Co., 1846).
On 8th March 1837, The Times recorded that George Stewart Halloran of Belfast, merchant, was to appear before the bankrupt courts at the Clarendon Rooms, Liverpool, at midday on March 23rd . As “a trader”, George was “jointly indebted with Richard Halloran of St Michael’s” and that there had been “sep. dividends of G.S. Halloran, and joint dividends”.[xii] His name was also amongst a large number of names of people declared bankrupt in the Metropolitan magazine between 21st February and 17th March 1837.[xiii]
However, the London Gazette listed G. S. Halloran, of Belfast, merchant, as one of eight people across Britain granted a Certificate (to do business?) on June 14th 1838.[xiv] He may have fled to Portugal as an article about a thieving Glenarm postmaster named Thomas Crawford in the Belfast Commercial Chronicle of Wednesday 13 March 1839 indicates that George S Halloran was in Lisbon around about that time
In about 1840, George Stewart Halloran resumed the use of the ‘O’ in the family name which his father had abandoned four decades earlier. O’Halloran was the name he was known by in Scotland, Australia and New Zealand. And when his nephews Gerald and George Halloran came out to join him in 1860 in Melbourne they also adopted took the name O’Halloran.
in 1845 G S Halloran launched the Lady Louisa Kerr, a schooner named after the daughter of Lord Mark Kerr and the Countess of Antrim.
To the Memory of Jane Frances daughter of the late
Rev. Richard Davis, wife of George S O’Halloran
of Glasgow died 1851 aged 32.
George married twice. His first wife was Jane Frances Davis, daughter of the late Rev. Richard Davies (Co. Antrim). She died in Glasgow aged 38 on 6th December 1852. [The Coleraine Chronicle gives her date of death as 13th December 1851]. A plaque to the memory of ‘Jane Frances O’Halloran’ hangs upon the wall of St Patrick’s Church, Glenarm. This was erected by her husband George O’Halloran who gave his address as Glasgow. He was in fact operating as a shipbroker in Scotland with offices at Buchanan Street, Glasgow. The business was called ‘O’Halloran and Brown, Ship Brokers’ and his partner was Mr. Thomas Brown. However, the business evidently went bankrupt and, on 10th July 1857, the London Gazette announced that George was ‘now in Australia, or elsewhere abroad’.[xv]
Later that same year, he was married in Melbourne to Elizabeth Hodgson. This gave him a house in the well-to-do suburb of Emereld Hill. They had no children.
The Argus newspaper of Melbourne has a number of references to Halloran & Brown’s company during a 4-year period between May 1853 and May 1857. These indicate that G. S. O’Halloran was in business with Mr. Brown (Gavan Brown is named as the son) and that they owned a fleet of ships – LochLomond (clipper), Ocean (Brig), Agnes (schooner), Ada (steamer), Sabine (barque) and Aim (brig) – which they used to transport cargo from Britain to Australia (sometimes via Cape Town). Their Melbourne offices were on Market Square, which belonged to Gavin Ralston, believed to be a businessman of Ayrshire origins. [xv.a] At other periods they had offices at 17 Flinders Street in Geelong (with Thomas Ogilvie) and 114 Lonsdale-street, Melbourne. In 1854 it is to be noted that, as well as 6 hogsheads and 4 casks (presumably of wine), Brown, O’Halloran & Co. imported 39 casks, 55 tons coals, 54 bundles wood. It is tempting to think the coal they imported came from Carnlough, but alas that is utter speculation. By May 1857, they were both in the Insolvency Court, along with Mr. Ralston. This fits neatly with the bankruptcy of 1857. [xv.b]
One of the O’Halloran ships was the Fanny A. Garriques, a brig of 189 tons, registered to G.S. O’Halloran, Wellington. She was under the command of Captain Hansen when shipwrecked in Palliser Bay on June 30th 1863 whilst travelling from Otago to Wellington. Captain Hansen was washed overboard and whilst making for shore was drowned on the rocks. The ship was insured for £2,000 and when submitted for auction, the wreck realized only £7-10.[xv.c]
George was not the first Halloran to go down under. Laurence Hynes O’Halloran (1766-1831), a Co. Meath poet educated at Trinity College Dublin, was transported to Australia for forging a tenpenny frank. Nevertheless he was later deemed suitable to take up the position of headmaster of a grammar school in Sydney. It is also to be noted that John Lanktree, Lord Antrim’s agent from 1843 to 1850, also emigrated to Australia in October 1850, having run into financial difficulty.
After two wives and a lifetime of bankruptcies, George died in Wellington on 20 June 1868 aged 68. Arthur Braithwaite, who filled out his death certificate, attributed his death to ‘paralysis’ which was seemingly a common term for syphillis in those times. He left no heir, male or female. In his obituary, he is reported to have owned four vessels engaged in transporting cattle between Wellington and Dunedin during the boom times of the Otago gold rush. The Mercantile Navy List & Maritime Directory for 1867 referred to George S. O’Halloran (Melbourne) operating the 121-ton Adelaide Packet out of Melbourne.
In George S O’Halloran’s (1800-1868) obituary in the Evening Post of Wellington, dated 22nd June 1868 it is written: ‘Since Mr O’Halloran’s residence in Wellington, he has endeared himself to a large circle of friends, for his many social, generous and good qualities. He might well be termed the fine old Irish gentleman. Mr O’Halloran was an intimate friend of Lord Antrim, with whom he had an interest in a large quarry at Glenarm, County Antrim – the birthplace of the subject of this short notice. While managing this quarry it would appear he was much beloved by all his workmen, they having presented him with a most affectionate token of respect in the shape of a large silver snuff box, bearing the appropriate description of “Irish gratitude, from his workmen”. At the same time Mr O’Halloran was presented with a very handsome silver salver by the residents of Glenarm”.
His family are currently restoring his grave in the historic Bolton Street Memorial Park.
RICHARD HALLORAN (1805-1869)
Above: Harphall House, the home of Richard Halloran.
George’s second son Richard Halloran, a merchant, married Jane Disney (1816-1854), daughter of the Rev. Brabazon William Disney (1797-1874), Dean of Armagh. He was educated at the Belfast Academical Institution. In 1844 he leased from Mr. McGildowny the kilns at Knockans near Cushendall together with the quarry above. Later he leased the quarry and kilns at Glenarm.
When Griffith’s Valuation conducted its survey of Tickmacrevan, Co. Antrim, in [year], Richard Halloran was noted as a resident of ‘Harphall’ in Carnlough. Jane died young in Glenarm in 1854 and is buried in St Patricks Church of Ireland, Glenarm. Richard and Jane had ten children before her untimely demise, of whom George Stewart O’Halloran (1845-1910) was great-grandfather to Alan Martin, Director at Martin & O’Halloran Limited. A younger brother, Brabazon Disney O’Halloran (1856-1901), was Chief Postmaster for Whangarei, New Zealand. All the children are said to have been very well educated.
“Owing to a trivial offence he had given to Lord Antrim’s agent, Mr. Hannah, Halloran was turned out of these in November 1857 in favour of the latter’s brother. Halloran then came to live in Carnlough he was eagerly welcomed by Richard Wilson who accommodated him with a yard between High Street and the Methodist Church. From it he conducted a coat importing business until he took over the management of the kilns.” Details via antrimhistory.net
In 1856, two years after Jane’s death, Richard leased a coal import yard at the back of 44-52 High Street, Carnlough, from Richard Wilson, the man who replaced the bankrupt John Lanktree as agent to Lord Antrim in 1850.[xvi] Wilson oversaw the construction of the new harbour between 1853 and 1855, as well as the two storey Town Hall and clock tower, a new quarry, a new harbour and a new agent’s house at Drumalla. Wilson was later land agent to the Marquess and Marchioness of Londonderry (who owned Glencloy) until 1865.
In an article on the limestone extractive industry in Glencloy (Carnlough), included in his book ‘Glencloy, a local history’, Felix McKillop wrote: ‘In February 1860, Richard Wilson (agent to the Londonderry family who owned Glencloy) wrote to the Marchioness (of Londonderry, who lived in Co Durham) to point out that ‘all five kilns are at work and are kept as busy as possible from morning to night’. He also expressed the need for a person to manage the growing (limestone) industry. He had Richard Halloran in mind. Halloran earlier had the lease of the quarries and kilns at Glenarm but due a dispute with Lord Antrim lost this lease and came to live in Carnlough. In 1857 he had leased a coal import yard at the back of 44-52 High Street, Carnlough from Wilson. The yard, beside the lime kiln presently standing between High Street and the Methodist Church in Herbert Street, is still known as ‘Halloran’s Yard’. Wilson continues: ‘the only person I know capable to manage the business is Mr Halloran, but whether he would devote his whole energy to it and give up his other business I do not know as I have not spoken to him. He must have an accurate knowledge of such business from his long experience in it and is well acquainted with the Scottish coast. If he could give security for his actions I know of no other person who would likely suit as well’.
In May 1860 Richard Halloran accepted the job [as manager of 5 lime kilns at Carnlough] at a salary of £150 a year. Four years later he took over the whole concern as manager of the Carnlough Lime Works, quarries and all, on a lease as from 1st February 1864, at an annual rent of £500. Developed in the early 19th century, the limestone quarry was a considerable business, supplying much of the limestone used for steel production in Glasgow. As such, to be managing these quarries was a position of much importance.The Public Records Office of Northern Ireland notes that, as “Lords of the Soil” for the four baronies of Glenarm, Dunluce, Kilconway and Cary (including Rathlin Island), the Earls of Antrim ‘had an interest in the exploitation of the mineral wealth of the north of Antrim, including areas were they had lost possession of the land.’ One of the earliest documents in PRONI’s collection is a lease, dating from 1639, of the coal mines and salt pans of Bonamargy, just to the east of Ballycastle, and it is clear from the wording of this document that mining was already well established in the area by this time. Another document shows that Ballycastle coal was sold in Dublin in the early eighteenth century. Iron ore, bauxite and limestone were also mined and the Earls were involved in the development of harbours, roads and railways to facilitate the exportation of the minerals. Amongst the industrial concerns whose records are included in the collection are: the Ballycastle collieries, Glenariff Iron Ore and Harbour Co., the Antrim Iron Ore Co., Glenarm Whiting Mill, Glenarm harbour and the Carnlough harbour and railway.
Richard Halloran died in New Zealand in 1869. A granite headstone was installed at his grave in 2019 by his great-grandson Alan Martin and others. His family home “Harphall” is still standing in Carnlough.
In 1865, his daughter Jane Disney O’Halloran married Arthur Braithwaite wo was informant on death record of George S O’Halloran.
George and Eleanor’s daughter Margaret was previously thought to have died unmarried or left Ireland. However, a notice in the Coleraine Chronicle appears to be throw this into ques