Subscribe for Unlimited Access to Turtle’s History Quarter.

Includes content from Vanishing Ireland, Easter Dawn, Dublin Docklands, The Irish Pub, Maxol and many more, as well as Waterways Ireland, the Past Tracks project and hundreds of historical articles on Irish families, houses, companies and events.

Dr Myddelton & the Destruction of Carlow Castle, 1814

Carlow, Ireland, Sunday 13th February 1814, 9am. The explosions that shocked many of the town’s 8,000 inhabitants awake that morning were followed by a rumbling not dissimilar to an earthquake. Panic rippled through the Barrowside town. Had Napoleon’s Grande Armée landed on Irish shores!? Were the United Irishmen back from the dead? By mid-morning, the […]