Subscribe for Unlimited Access to Turtle’s History Quarter.

Includes content from Vanishing Ireland, Easter Dawn, Dublin Docklands, The Irish Pub, Maxol and many more, as well as Waterways Ireland, the Past Tracks project and hundreds of historical articles on Irish families, houses, companies and events.

The Siege of Castlecuffe, County Laoise

The following was kindly transcribed by Máirtín D’Alton from Seosamh MacCába’s book, ‘Dúthaí Uí Ríagáin’ (Imperial Print, 1967): ‘During the Confederate Wars 1641-49, the O Dunnes of Ui Riagain led by Captain Daniel Dunne (Dónal óg) and Edward Dunne were up in arms for Owen Roe [O’Neill] and Ireland. Daniel on whose head was a […]